WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Lightest & Most Filling Food?

Non cooked) I'm thinking peanut butter/jelly & bagel.

You?

Thats what I ate for lunch almost every day on my thru (along with a hunk of cheddar) so yeah, I agree with you.

Images

nothing seemed filling. everything was like Chinese food, was hungry again it 2 hours.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I learned that Tortilla wraps are your friend, whole wheat if possible, the fiber keeps you full longer. Most of the grocery store ones stay good for a week or more while hiking. One of the weirdest non-cook meals I became addicted to during my section hike last year was peanut butter and trail mix on a tortilla. If you bring a stove, try mac and cheese (I use kraft easy mac) in a tortilla wrap.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Yes, BJ&J on tortilla is my trail lunch. Also a bag of mixed nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts, etc...) or granola bars with lots of nuts (the Planters bars are awesome). Huge calories per gram. I think of calorie density as more important than filling. Some foods (like oatmeal) may be filling but do not have that many calories per gram. So you get full before getting enough calories and you just get hungry again.

Journal Entries
    Images

The lightest food is the one you tank up with in the morning before you hike.

Honest? a pocket of Cliff Bars and Homemade Pemmican or Jerky. - couple of monster Snickers too.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 05-28-2012 at 22:59.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    The lightest food is the one you tank up with in the morning before you hike.

Honest? a pocket of Cliff Bars and Homemade Pemmican or Jerky. - couple of monster Snickers too.
    Purina Monkey Chow
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Garlic
    Images

Fats have twice the calorie density of carbs, but you don't want to live on fat alone. I carry cheese for the first few days, peanut butter after that. I think the best bread to carry is flour tortillas. They have good fat content and last nearly a week in a pack.

A surprisingly good non-cooked meal is instant mashed potatoes, which reconstitute in a few minutes in cold water. Olive oil is good on that if you carry it. Ramen is already fried and can be eaten like a big cracker without cooking.

Salty, fatty snacks like cashews are great.

Rolled oats are also already cooked in the rolling process and can be eaten without further cooking by soaking in water for a few minutes--add dried fruit, nuts, and powdered milk for a decent muesli, and not just for breakfast.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Journal Entries
    Images

Fats and proteins are essential; carbs are not. Pemmican is the best food available and if Omega-3's are used during processing, you don' need anything more.
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Journal Entries
    Images

Lima Beans in a baggie.

Images

Small can of tuna (love Bumblebee's Thai Chili Tuna or any tuna salad in a can will do), crackers, cheddar cheese sticks. Prefer savory things over sweets. Once put the Thai Chili tuna in a jalapeno wrap with cheese....excellent!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

beans/legumes

Jello instant pudding, or instant potatoes
    lived on these for 4 days once after overrunning a mail drop back in 72

I fill up on soups.

PackIt Gourmet and other specialty dehydrated foods suppliers have flavorful dehydrated soups. I find Bear Creek soups at the grocery store. I especially like the Potato Soup and the Chicken Noodle Soup. I also find Alessi dried soups at the grocery store. I especially like the Tuscan Bean Soup.

I may add couscous (lightweight) to stew-like soups or olive oil (from individual serving size packets).

I have other food, but these are the most lightweight, unless you like Minute Rice as a basis for entrees.

I really love wraps made from tortillas or flat breads made for wraps. I use dehydrated black beans and Minute Rice or Uncle Ben's Whole Grain Medley plus add-ons like Tasty Bite indian cuisine, Chicken of the Sea salmon cup or tuna cup and ranch salad dressing. Wraps fill me up.

I also carry stuffing mix, to use with mashed potato mix, gravy mix and foil packaged chicken.

It would be worthwhile purchasing freeze-dried chicken or turkey for this entree.

Instant hummus.

Images

Sweet. Thanks.

As far as cooked foods I'm planning on bringing TVP and making all kinds of instant meals.

Talk about light food and extremely long shelf life! I swear, TVP w/ rice, pepper & hot sauce is great on the trail.

Make your own version of "Hudson Bay Bread" - recipes easily found online. Main ingredients are oats, some kind of fat, and some kind of sugar, with added nuts and fruit as you like. Try coconut oil for the fat and ground almonds or hazelnuts with dried cranberries or blueberries. High calorie, dense, low volume, very filling, hold up well on trail even waiting for you in a resupply box for a few weeks.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

P-Train,
    What is TVP?

TVP = Textured Vegetable Protein (soy).

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    P-Train,
    What is TVP?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textured_vegetable_protein

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++