WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water sources between Springer and GA60

I'm doing a section hike this weekend from GA60 to Springer and back. Has anyone been out there recently and know which water sources are running (specifically Bryson Gap as I'm planning on camping there on Friday night)?

Images

deleted as I misread OP
    Last edited by scope; 04-13-2017 at 21:20.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by gte567e View Post
    I'm doing a [BMT]section hike this weekend from GA60 to Springer and back. Has anyone been out there recently and know which water sources are running (specifically Bryson Gap as I'm planning on camping there on Friday night)?
    We did the GA Loop (BMT-DRT-AT) about a month ago. We camped at Bryson Gap, but sorry to say, we did not check to see if the water was running as we did not need it. The stream at the south end of the Toccoa River Bridge was flowing nicely. Assuming you know to not drink the water from Toccoa River and the Little Skeenah Creek (by Hwy 60).

Our journal can be found here: http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=556475

Happy trails!

My wife and I stopped by Bryson Gap for a day-hike lunch nap a couple of weeks ago. Take a scoop, the water is there, but I had to scoop out a little hollow and allow the water to settle before using it.

We hiked from Three Forks to the Hwy 60 crossing. When we got to Bryson Gap there were some Army folk hanging around (not sure if they were Rangers, and none of them were carrying firearms) but they were preparing to move out so we were able to take advantage of the area. From the time we left Long Creek Falls until we got there they were the only people we saw, and saw no one else until we got to the bridge, which was surprisingly busy for a Monday.

Just finished Amicalola to Neel Gap. Water everywhere except about a 4 mile stretch north of a Hawk Mountain.

Thanks for everyone's info. I did stay at Bryson Gap last Friday night and there was a decent size pool of water but had to hike down the trail marked "Spring" for ~100yds. Had the place (and most of the entire section of BMT from Springer to GA 60 for that matter) to myself. This was my first time on the BMT and now I realize why everyone who hikes it loves it so much. Even on a beautiful Saturday I only saw ~5 people on the whole 16mi stretch between GA60 and Springer that is only BMT, while the 1mi where the BMT and AT join I saw ~50.

++ New Posts ++