WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rain Gear?

Default Rain Gear?

Ok, I know we're all gonna get wet, unavoidable. With that said, still curious what the experiences are with rain gear, what do you / will you carry? I know lots of folks like the Marmot precip gear but I've had bad experiences with Marmot stuff so now avoid it like the plague. Do you go light weight for the AT, or something a little heavier and then switch out for summer?

And how about rain pants? carry them for the first part of the trip and then send them off with your colder weather gear? Or just DWR treated wind pants?

I've had my approaches and philosophies for other outdoor adventures but this is my first thru so I'm really curious how people are approaching this aspect of the trek/gear. I like light but I want comfortable too (for me) which likely takes me out of the UL category but always open to ideas and other approaches. Inquiring minds want to know

There's no right or wrong but your thoughts are what I do. When it's cold I use pants and jacket. Warmer a poncho. And hot usually no rain gear.

Garlic
    Images

On the AT, I figured out I didn't mind wet, as long as I was warm. So "warm and wet" became my goal, not so much "dry." "Clean" became important, too, I found.

Choice of rain gear is not as important as how you use it, and how you dress under it. The finest Goretex gear does nothing for you if you wear it on a stressful climb and soak your insulation in a few minutes. Experience and care is needed to keep your insulation dry, and it can be done with cheap, light gear.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    There's no right or wrong but your thoughts are what I do. When it's cold I use pants and jacket. Warmer a poncho. And hot usually no rain gear.
    Same here, except, I never wear rain pants, just a jacket when its cold.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Don't think I ever wore rain pants except while doing laundry. When it got warmer I ditched the rain pants for a pair of light weight shorts.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

This is what I wear. At around $22, i find it hard to go wrong. I think based on what was said above about being warm and wet, these fit the bill. As you know, you are going to sweat and get wet regardless of what you are wearing. As long as you have warm layers underneath, I think these do the job. These are very light weight, come as a set, and keep the outside moisture out. http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/DriDucks.shtm
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

GA-ME 2011
    Images

+1 on the DriDucks. My jacket lasted an entire thru with just a few duct tape patches.
    Maybe a light pair or wind pants would be better than the rain pants. I've got a pair of these:
    http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2305123
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    +1 on the DriDucks. My jacket lasted an entire thru with just a few duct tape patches.
    Maybe a light pair or wind pants would be better than the rain pants. I've got a pair of these:
    http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2305123
    Awesome tip on these Dyanmos, I've been trying to find something like this for weeks.

Unfortunately the UA ColdGear baselayers I found at Marshalls are not the fleece-lined "Base 2.0" product. I'm planning to pick up a pair of Icebreakers and use the UA's for hiking, Icebreakers for camp. Is it safe to say with a baselayer these should be enough, or do I need a bottom midlayer?

I had some extra funds in my gear budget so I got a Zpacks jacket and rain kilt. I have not tested them yet but know that I don't like rain pants so I hope this works for me. I will not worry about rain protection below my knees. I plan to wear tights and thin wool socks with trail runners and light gaiters. The only thing I am concerned about is the snow.

Take a look at the Packa
    ct

Images

I use an umbrella, rain skirt and a Z-packs jacket. I often wear the jacket backwards with the hood folded down, keeps my back from sweating so much when it is hot but pouring rain. I can then take it off without removing my pack. I do the same with my windshirt. Sometimes you are zig-zagging a ridgeline and one side is ten degrees colder than the other from the wind. On the warm side I just take it off and loop it thru my sternum strap.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Tree View Post
    Take a look at the Packa
    ct
    I second this. A Packa will keep you dry when used properly. Make use of the arm pit vents, and you can stay quite comfortable under there. Also, you won't have to worry about your pack straps getting wet.

Marmot essence for me. 6oz. PU costed nylon is nice, cheap, totally waterproof. Doesn't last super long though it should get you thru a 2000 miler. Waterproof breatheable is nice but goretex is too expensive for what you get and as soon as the outer nylon layer wets out you're screwed cause it won't breathe. I doubt you'll be able to keep DWR treating it on your thru hike so you might as well count out breathable fabrics. Though if you insist on breatheability go with eVent it's something like 20x more breathable than goretex.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I tried a Marmot Precip, and don't get why people love it so much - not worth a hoot IMHO. I have a pair of GoLite rain pants that I never use, and a DriDucks jacket that works pretty well. My favorite rain gear is my umbrella.

The marmot precip is PU coated nylon. Cheap, totally waterproof. I owned one and used it until the PU coating peeled off after three years of use. It's an economical choice for those who want a well fitting waterproof garment that's reasonably durable. You won't rip a precip by snagging it on a twig. Driducks are a different story. I think the precip is well loved because it's a middle ground of price comfort and quality. A reasonable choice for a great deal of people.

You will need a windproof outer layer for the first part of the trail to keep you warm, not so much after Mt. Rogers. I have used Driducks, Precip and Essence. You will need it again starting in the Whites. Driducks is good but not durable enough. Precip is O.K. but a little heavy. Essence. Precip is billed as breathable.

One set of DriDucks lasted me the whole way, I tore a small hole in the jacket I think about a week in, patched it up with some duct tape from my first aid kit and never had another problem.
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Tree View Post
    Take a look at the Packa
    ct
    I tried a packa. I could never figure out how to pack up in the rain without getting wet.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mage...ackets&Ntk=All

I have a $170 Goretex jacket, a Helly Henson, North Face, and others, but the above $19.95 jacket is my favorite...may just be me though...you may hate it.

I noticed quick that rain gear is only nice when you're not moving or its cold outside. Even when it is cold you're most likely going to be constantly messing with as you get hot/cool down.

One of the best things i bought on the trail was a brazilian recycle tarp cowboy'ish hat. It was great for swatting bugs/horse flies, keeping the sun at bay, and functioned pretty much like an umbrella.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++