WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Too heavy of a Pack?

I just recently bought the TFX 5 from Lowe Alpine which is a 65L+15L pack. It weighs in at 5 Lbs 9 oz and I just wanted to hear thoughts from previous thru hikers. I would appreciate any sort of help

I guess my main question is is it too heavy?

Images

Many here would say that is too heavy, but that is really a question you must answer for yourself. Does the pack suit your needs, and does it provide you with a level of comfort when you hike with your load? It is all really subjective.

That said, I have a 3 year old Osprey Aether 70. It weighs in at about 5 lb 3 oz. I am looking for another pack which is in the 2-3 lb range. That is what I want now to lighten my load, as I have reduced my gear an no longer need a pack this big.

Personal preference.

Depends on how big and strong you are. Like Buffalo Skipper says, it's up to you.

With the weight of the pack I'm carrying (19oz) that's almost 4 1/2 more pounds of extra stuff (basically the weight of my food) that I could be carrying.

Up to you....

tf
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

That is up too you if its too heavy. Get all the rest of your gear and load it up and put it on and see how it feels. I know I'm risking the wrath of others but I'll say it cause you asked. After you load it up, weigh it. I know, I know, who cares what it weighs but you will probably not like the number you see unless all your other stuff is real lite in which case you can do with a lighter pack.

For myself, my empty pack weight hovers around 2-3 lbs, because that is as low as a multi day backpack can go before it starts to cause me back issues with 20-30 lbs in it. Some people can haul 30 lbs in a pack with no frame, but I am not one. My trick shoulder acts up sometimes, and I need to decrease the pressure on it - with a solid frame I can get the majority of the load supported on the hips.

For you, I can't tell you- load it up and give it a try. Hope it's the right size, that makes a HUGE difference in how a pack will carry.

If you don't mind me asking Turtle Feet what pack do you have and what is its capacity?

Garlic
    Images

It sounds real heavy to me, but my total load without food and water is around 10 pounds. It wouldn't be too smart to carry 10 pounds of stuff in 5 or 6 pound pack. If your total load is closer 50 or 60 pounds, it sounds like a perfect pack. To reiterate what's been said above, it all depends on what you're putting in it.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Too heavy. 65 liter pack that weighs right around 3 lbs. There is no need for even a large pack to weigh a lot.

Springer to Atkins, VA

As stated earlier....it really depends on what you like. If it's comfortable and meets your needs..then go for it. I had a similar issue...used a Kelty Redcloud (6lbs empty) for years. As I got more experienced...or should I say learned from the trail...I realized I needed to reduce the weight I was carrying. By switching to a ULA Catalyst I saved 3lbs and was just..if not more comfortable with the fit...my base weight is approx 22lbs. Happy trails...cheers.

Images

It depends on what kind of load you are carrying. That pack is designed to carry 55-66 pounds which is more than you're ever going to need to carry on the AT.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

I think the issue bigger than the weight of the pack is the size. I know the pack you are talking about and it can really carry alot, the 65L +15L really means its a 80L pack.
    In my experience the bigger the pack the more you put in it, whether intentionally or not, I have been outfitting people for trips for years while working at REI and ive seen it happen.
    So,I would say, yes your pack is a heavy one ( but i have seen lots of people useing arc'teryx packs on the AT which are heavy things) but whats heavier is all the extra stuff that will probably end up in the pack.

If you dont want to return the pack, see how you might be able to modify it. I remember taking one of the older REI 60L packs, it weighed in at 3+ lbs, after modifying it and cutting off un needed things the pack was in at 2lbs.

You asked for thru hikers. I'm not, but I was in your shoes. Just went from a 7# kelty redhawk to a 3# Catalyst. Lose 4# in the pack and another 10# off me and I'll be in good shape.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    Many here would say that is too heavy, but that is really a question you must answer for yourself. Does the pack suit your needs, and does it provide you with a level of comfort when you hike with your load? It is all really subjective.

That said, I have a 3 year old Osprey Aether 70. It weighs in at about 5 lb 3 oz. I am looking for another pack which is in the 2-3 lb range. That is what I want now to lighten my load, as I have reduced my gear an no longer need a pack this big.

Personal preference.
    Try the Osprey Atmos65.Its almost half the weight of the Aether, and comfortably carries all my gear.

For me the following questions are important in the selection of a pack:
    (1) what volume do I need to carry...gear, food, & water....for me about 3500 cu in works.
    (2) what do I need in a pack to fit my body type. I am very short waisted...small distance between shoulders and my waist/hips. I could not find a none adjustable pack that fit, but it took many attempts to get to the right choice for me.
    (3) how much adjustability do I need. I finally selected a small Osprey Aether 60 (model year 2009). Thius fit me waist to shoulder, but I am an aging man and the small waist belt had to go to be replaced by a large. This did the trick.

As a consequence, I have a pack that weighs in at 3 lb 8 oz and fits well quite confortably ... putting most weight on my hips and staying there as I hike throughout the day.

The process to find the right pack took about 4 months of trial and error.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSaunterer View Post
    I just recently bought the TFX 5 from Lowe Alpine which is a 65L+15L pack. It weighs in at 5 Lbs 9 oz and I just wanted to hear thoughts from previous thru hikers. I would appreciate any sort of help

I know you heard it over and over again; it depends. If it is comfortable for you then no it's not too heavy. I have a Golite Pinnacle 72L (2.5lbs) that I love but I still have my Kelty External Frame pack that weighs 6bs that is probably the most comfortable pack I have ever worn.

It's all up to you. If it works for you then keep it.
    "May the Road Rise to Meet You"- The Wolfe Tones

Quote Originally Posted by sixguns01 View Post
    I know you heard it over and over again; it depends. If it is comfortable for you then no it's not too heavy. I have a Golite Pinnacle 72L (2.5lbs) that I love but I still have my Kelty External Frame pack that weighs 6bs that is probably the most comfortable pack I have ever worn.

It's all up to you. If it works for you then keep it.
    well said!

Heres my thoughts. I had a Kelty Expedition (not made anymore). It was a frame pack and weighed in at 6#. Yes thats heavy, but of rthe time period it was a nice pack. It gave up its ghost in 2009 on a section hike. Thats after 15 years of scrambling around. I really miss that pack.

Now I have an internal, an Alps Mountaineering. Sar online for $99 sale. Yes, Its still on the heavy side, 4# but it will do the job. I also have another pack at 3 pounds from Germany. It will be my summer pack. But all in all I like what the Apls give me and it rides well, with weight. So....

Just as the others, what are you looking at? For some hikers, a heavier pack carries heavier weight better than others. Does it feel right to you? Does it pack easy? As one reply stated, can you modify it by taking off things you really don need. the choice is yours, but make it you choice, not others opinions..
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I used a Lowes to start in '07. I switched out halfway through to a much lighter and smaller pack and glad I did. No way would I have been able to carry that thing through the hard terrain of NH and ME. It made for a much more enjoyable trip for me.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I guess my main question is is it too heavy?

Well, you're young. You've got youth on you.
    But you'll likely want something lighter later on.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++