WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Kathdin Summit "ambassador"

While up at Baxter Peak last weekend there was a very large Raven hanging about the summit. There was stiff breeze but the bird hung out. It was obviously taking advantage of any food folks inadvertently left. It was quite used to people and routinely got within 4 or 5 feet of folk. I have never seen one so big up close. Nice to see but kind of sad that it had gotten enough rewards from hikers to become a beggar.

Raven's are opportunistic birds and very smart. They are pretty used to people in the UK around the Tower of London. If it was a bird of prey it would be more sad, but many many birds have learned to take advantage of people.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Raven's are opportunistic birds and very smart. They are pretty used to people in the UK around the Tower of London. If it was a bird of prey it would be more sad, but many many birds have learned to take advantage of people.
    My daughter and I had a chuckle coming through the frontcountry park at Bear Mountain once. There were a bunch of people who had left their picnic to play with a Frisbee or something. We joked that the picnic looked as if the vultures had descended on it. Which they had: a half a dozen turkey vultures were feasting on the remains. One had stuck his head in the potato salad up to his shoulders and had mayonnaise all over his head feathers.

I wasn't too saddened, because those birds raid dumpsters in town all the time.

The seagulls at the Statue of Liberty will mug you for your lunch.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Grey jays in the White Mountains are the same way. Will eat out of your hand. I have a photo to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    My daughter and I had a chuckle coming through the frontcountry park at Bear Mountain once. There were a bunch of people who had left their picnic to play with a Frisbee or something. We joked that the picnic looked as if the vultures had descended on it. Which they had: a half a dozen turkey vultures were feasting on the remains. One had stuck his head in the potato salad up to his shoulders and had mayonnaise all over his head feathers.

I wasn't too saddened, because those birds raid dumpsters in town all the time.

The seagulls at the Statue of Liberty will mug you for your lunch.
    I wish you had a picture of that to share. The turkey vultures are common here too, but are not a nuisance...they act more like any other bird of prey when people show up.

Pigeons in Trafalgar Square...same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Grey jays in the White Mountains are the same way. Will eat out of your hand. I have a photo to prove it.
    I've had them eat off my foot in hunting camp before. There is a reason they're affectionately known as camp robbers. I saw a lot of them on my last couple of trips, but never when I was eating for some reason.

Ravens are in the same family as Gray Jays.

Many years ago on the the Cedar Brook Trail with my buddy back then, Dan C. (Dan in the pic, not me.)

http://terrapinphoto.com/wp/gallerie...5fe6d4eab/1103

Many years ago on the the Cedar Brook Trail with my buddy back then, Dan C. (Dan in the pic, not me.)

Very cool pic!

Images

The overlook on top of Seneca Rock hangs over the cliff. You can watch the ravens fly nearby, but they are still over the valley. Also if you get on top the cliff on North Fork Mountain Trail you can look down on the falcons flying.
    "Är huvudet dumt får kroppen lida."

Translated - "If the head is dumb the body suffers."

Images

rafe - great photo. The rest of those photos sure took me back too. Back to the days of the external frame pack, hiking in blue jeans and flannel shirts and the heavy old deep sole lugged leather boots.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Garlic
    Images

Ravens are large and smart enough to do some damage, too. They can damage food containers, opening them up--ask me how I know. They are one of the reasons I always hang my food when I leave it unattended, any time of day.

There's one around my town that has learned how to talk. And they are one of the few animals who can fashion and use tools.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

++ New Posts ++