WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Packing the sleeping bag

I apologize for all these questions, but hike begins soon and trying to get things right. I purchased the Sea to Summit compression sack for sleeping bag, but don't really like it. Does anybody just shove bag in loosely? How do you pack your sleeping bag? Many thanks.

I use a Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Nano dry sack for my down bag. The 13L weighs an ounce and the 8L weighs only 0.8oz. Love 'em

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?...o2=3&o3=514-32

I put my Exped down bags in the airtight packs they are delivered with (which are quie big), squeeze out as much air as possible, roll-close the top and shove it in the pack (from bottom to top between the mat and the tent) in a way that it fills gaps between other stuff.
    I dont like compression sacks that have straps on four sides, because they form a rigid pack that doesn't fit together well with the other stuff.

Images

Many people just stuff the bag into the bottom of their pack and then pile other items on top. That approach works pretty well if you have a large enough pack, but I find it's hard to get the bag compacted enough to allow for everything else to fit. I don't really like compression sacks, they add unecessary weight and complexity to the process of packing gear.

I use a 13L Sea-to-Summit dry bag for my quilt, liner, and down puffy. It's air tight so getting it compacted to a small size and sealed up is pretty easy. That allows me to add an extra layer of moisture protection for the gear that absolutely must remain dry, with only a 1.5 ounce increase over an ultralight 13L stuffsack.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    I put my Exped down bags in the airtight packs they are delivered with (which are quie big), squeeze out as much air as possible, roll-close the top and shove it in the pack (from bottom to top between the mat and the tent) in a way that it fills gaps between other stuff.
    I dont like compression sacks that have straps on four sides, because they form a rigid pack that doesn't fit together well with the other stuff.
    That is what I dislike. The sack that holds my bag becomes a brick.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnbones View Post
    Looks like you need a bigger stuf sack. I use a 20 L.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Simple trash compactor bag for all dry gear...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get an STS eVent drysack for your bag. Best way to compress a down bag into the shape you want and to keep it dry.
    http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?...o2=0&o3=291-12

I'm speaking about something like this:
    https://www.ortlieb.com/en/Dry%20Bag%20PS10/
    If you squeezed out the air, you can still form it into shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Many people just stuff the bag into the bottom of their pack and then pile other items on top.
    I don't know about "many people" packing their bag that way. If fact, in 6000 miles of hiking the AT, I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that. The last thing you want is to have your bag get wet due to the pack leaking or from wet stuff packed above it. Your bag is one of the most important things in your pack and you want to protect it.

I put my bag in a dry sack which is about the same length as the width of the pack so it fits in the bottom nicely. Then at night my clothes go into the sleeping bag sack (so long as they are dry) to keep them all in one place and in case the tent leaks if it starts storming overnight.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Many people just stuff the bag into the bottom of their pack and then pile other items on top. That approach works pretty well if you have a large enough pack, but I find it's hard to get the bag compacted enough to allow for everything else to fit. I don't really like compression sacks, they add unecessary weight and complexity to the process of packing gear.
    I noticed that too. It sounds good in theory, but you'll never compress the bag nearly as much if you just push stuff on top of it. After you stuff it in the bottom, it starts expanding again when you go to get other stuff! And the more you put in there, the less a compressing effect it has on the part of the bag furthest from where you're pushing. In my experience tis best to just use whatever compression/stuff sack you have and try to pack around it. Fill in the gaps with small / soft stuff that isn't as bulky as the sleeping bag (like sleep clothes).

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Get an STS eVent drysack for your bag. Best way to compress a down bag into the shape you want and to keep it dry.
    http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?...o2=0&o3=291-12
    I prefer Zpacks dry bags...Much lighter and accomplishes the same thing, they have many sizes and they used to custom make sizes but I don't know if they do that anymore due to higher volumes.

I have removed a flap that offered me a separate bottom compartment for my sleeping bag. Now I have full bag to stuff items. My backpack is lined with a heavy duty trash compactor bag. I just shoved my sleeping bag into the bottom and will begin hike this way. I'm going to carry a empty compression sack just in case I change my mine. Thank everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by cspan View Post
    I noticed that too. It sounds good in theory, but you'll never compress the bag nearly as much if you just push stuff on top of it. After you stuff it in the bottom, it starts expanding again when you go to get other stuff! And the more you put in there, the less a compressing effect it has on the part of the bag furthest from where you're pushing. In my experience tis best to just use whatever compression/stuff sack you have and try to pack around it. Fill in the gaps with small / soft stuff that isn't as bulky as the sleeping bag (like sleep clothes).
    I stuff my sleeping bag into a trash-compactor bag in the bottom of my Osprey Exos 58. My clothes go in too. Then I compress the bag somewhat but not maximally, twist the top tightly and fold it down. Other gear with their awkward roundish shapes go on top. If it's going to be really wet, or if I'm on the water, I'll first compress my bag into an eVent S2S stuff sack that normally sits in the bottom of my pack. But I find I can get more gear compactly stowed with the sleeping bag and clothes providing a 'plastic' shape that allows the other more solid shapes to nestle down into the trash compactor package.

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    I stuff my sleeping bag into a trash-compactor bag in the bottom of my Osprey Exos 58. My clothes go in too. Then I compress the bag somewhat but not maximally, twist the top tightly and fold it down. Other gear with their awkward roundish shapes go on top. If it's going to be really wet, or if I'm on the water, I'll first compress my bag into an eVent S2S stuff sack that normally sits in the bottom of my pack. But I find I can get more gear compactly stowed with the sleeping bag and clothes providing a 'plastic' shape that allows the other more solid shapes to nestle down into the trash compactor package.
    Not sure how small a pack he's talking about but I can fit a 45* and 20* quilt with all winter dry clothes in a 40-50l pack in a compactor bag without any trouble compressing enough....

Oh good grief. Overthinking one more time. I tried unlearning everything I know and followed internet wisdom like "shove the bag in the bottom and pile stuff on top" with a new ULA Catalyst. Bunk! Says I! As pointed out above, the bag could not be compressed small enough or stay compressed.
    So, I very quickly unlearned the internet advice and relearned what I knew would work.
    WM bag stuffed into WM stuff sack supplied with bag shoved into bottom of trash bag inside pack. Done. No additional cost. No additional weight.
    K.I.S.S.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Not sure how small a pack he's talking about but I can fit a 45* and 20* quilt with all winter dry clothes in a 40-50l pack in a compactor bag without any trouble compressing enough....

No compression bags used or needed for ME.... I like my pack space filled out as it carries better frameless or not when it's solid like a pillow..

I have removed a flap that offered me a separate bottom compartment for my sleeping bag. Now I have full bag to stuff items. My backpack is lined with a heavy duty trash compactor bag. I just shoved my sleeping bag into the bottom and will begin hike this way. I'm going to carry a empty compression sack just in case I change my mine. Thank everybody!
    Wouldn't carry xtra unnecessary gear esp an xtra stuff sack....this leads to carring all sorts of xtra gear you don't need. I.e. Packing your fears. Buy along the way if you feel must have but seriously doubt you will want one...

Images

I'll second the trash compactor bag idea.
    Now, my winter sleeping bag goes into a compression sack or it would fill up my pack without room for anything else.

I have heard a lot of people like to just stuff it into their bag and let it fill the voids. Me personally, am not that brave due to my fear of my down bag getting wet. i use a waterproof sea to summit compression sack, stuff it in and pull the cords to make it as small as possible. It is the first thing I open once I get my shelter set up in order to give it time to get its loft back into it.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++