WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Military spouses are left behind with children all the time, and we manage. If your wife willingly said yes without pressure from you, then go hike. Just have a good conversation with her about her expectations for your absence, and how things that you normally handle around the house will be taken care of while you're away. Have a set interval that you will call her every few days, and at which time she has the power to say "Come home" and you will do it without question and without complaint.

There's no reason you can't do this if you're both willingly on board with cooperating. Only you know the dynamics of your relationship, so only you and your wife can decide if this will work.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Not to totally disagree with Hot Flash; she makes good points about having a good conversation. However, Military Service as a job, bringing in family income while serving your country, is not quite the same as time away from home hiking the AT, which takes away from the family income. To me, this situation was not just about the Husband and Wife but included young children/babies. The responsibility goes beyond the spouse and must include responsibilities as a parent. Military personel sacrifice a great deal by missing out on the early stages of their children's growth through no choice of their own. This husband is making a choice and while he can decide what will work for him; he may not realize what he is also sacrificing.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Images

Most young couples with children probably just don't have the financial resources to responsibly have one partner away for 4-6 months hiking. But provided they are financially well off, and one has their spouse's blessing, why not? I think that arrangements should be made to meet up in trail towns along the way, and an agreement to quit the hike should it be deemed necessary by the one left behind. But realistically, there's a 50% chance he won't last more than halfway anyway.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries

Mark, LOTS of great input here. I would totally agree with putting a thru off until later. I would also suggest a decent length (100-200) miles section hike each year depending on your ability to leave or get away. This helps satisfy a bit the desire to get out there and yet keeps you home helping with the kids. It worked well for me and gave me a lot of pleasure planning/dreaming about the upcoming section each year! I was even able to take my oldest son with me on two occasions and built some everlasting memories.
    2000 miler......long sections Summited July 2015

For what it's worth, mark2017, I'll be 40 in 2016. I'll begin a three-summer section hike with my will-be-12 year old son that year. As much as I would like to have done a thru-hike at some point, I'm really looking forward to doing this with my son. And my wife is perfectly happy to stay home with a 14 and 10 year old. I don't think she would have been happy if I'd left her and all of the kids behind.

Might be worth considering waiting and taking your oldest.

Default Wives with husbands hiking AT this spring

Kids grow up quicker then you think then are gone but the trail will still be there. I have been section hiking with my kids since they were little. The 1000 mi. we have covered is not as important as connecting without life's distractions and the lifetime memories.

Journal Entries

So - the husband has requested for the wife to join his thru hike at Hot Springs, NC. I am packing up to depart (catch a bus) after Easter- as he is currently hiking north through the Smokies. He says he is having fun doing well and still taking the miles slowly. Cake to join Ice Cream! We hike soo differently - it is going to be good and awkward as well. Since he left, we have been hiking here at home but not the day after day after day after day. Excited!
    Any other wives going to the trail?
    Cake
    Virginia

Why not agree to go hike for a month, stop and agree to have a conversation at that time about how it's going both on the trail and at home and decide together whether you will continue or return later or ....?? You both may have different thoughts at that time. It would at last take the pressure off initially.

Journal Entries

Default Wife asked to come hike with hiker husband

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    Why not agree to go hike for a month, stop and agree to have a conversation at that time about how it's going both on the trail and at home and decide together whether you will continue or return later or ....?? You both may have different thoughts at that time. It would at last take the pressure off initially.
    In my mind, that is the draft plan. He sort of has hiking buddies too. Its 18 days - enjoying it - from Hot Springs to VA and someplace where there is the 42$ bus ride home in Marion. Shall See.
    L

Journal Entries

I know this is an old post but it is now 2017 and I wanted you to know we are taking YOUR advice. Start off with 1 month and then have a serious talk. Thanks for the idea. It has settled her worries

very interesting thread. not what I thought it was. I thought it was about couples hiking together until I started reading. If our positions were different I hope I could be uber supportive of my husband hiking alone but since I no longer work, that would be unnecessary. He has told me he would be happy for me if I wanted to thru hike by myself. He's such a great person. However, I don't think I will be taking him up on it simply because I want to share all of it with him. It's something we started talking about over 25 years ago - hiking the trail together. Besides, we have spent enough time apart in our married lives. I may start the trail next summer with a friend for a few weeks as she attempts a thru and I have his support to do it for as long as I wish, but I would miss him terribly. I am unsure how long I will go with her for, a minimum of 2 weeks but not likely more than 4. I just don't want to be away from him so long. I may change my mind when I'm on the trail, but after being apart for 6 weeks last year, I can't imagine 6 months.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Most young couples with children probably just don't have the financial resources to responsibly have one partner away for 4-6 months hiking. But provided they are financially well off, and one has their spouse's blessing, why not? I think that arrangements should be made to meet up in trail towns along the way, and an agreement to quit the hike should it be deemed necessary by the one left behind. But realistically, there's a 50% chance he won't last more than halfway anyway.
    I agree with this, and that is exactly my plan....She is the one who actually suggested I do this now and not when the 3 kids are grown. She is quite independent when it comes to parenting...She currently is on a two week England trip with the kids right now... I am home working...
    They will be meeting up with me on the trail, including camping in our RV at Trail Days... My 12 year old son will be doing long sections with me as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++