WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    anger towards dogs on the trail is one of those "only on white blaze" things. amongst people who are actually out hiking, ive yet to see anyone ever be annoyed at the presence of a dog. leashed, unleashed, in a shelter, not in a shelter. most people are happy theres a dog around.
    Ever had a dog jump up on the picnic table and go for your dinner?
    Ever had a wet dog come into the shelter and shake water all over your sleeping bag?
    Ever had a dog try to bite you while your hiking?

I have. I love dogs, I blame the owners.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Ever had a wet dog come into the shelter and shake water all over your sleeping bag?

nope. nor have i ever seen anything like this happen to anyone else. not saying it doesnt happen, but this place tends to over magnify things. to read some of these threads youd think the AT was full of poorly disciplined dogs running amok ruining everyone's gear and biting people.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

By far most of the dog problems I have seen are not owned by thru-hikers, but day hikers.
    The vast majority of dogs are well behaved, but you tend to remember the problem dogs.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

GA-ME 2011
    Images

After only 46 miles into a SOBO thru!

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=381272
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

After only 46 miles into a SOBO thru!

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=381272

how do you get bit twice by the same dog?

theres a lot to be said for fear of dogs being part of why these things happen, the dog should have had a fight on it's hands after the first bite, if not before.

nope. nor have i ever seen anything like this happen to anyone else. not saying it doesnt happen, but this place tends to over magnify things. to read some of these threads youd think the AT was full of poorly disciplined dogs running amok ruining everyone's gear and biting people.
    Dude, you've never seen a dog shake water all over the place after being in an all-day rain or stomping through a shelter with muddy paws

This place may over magnify some things, but I'd think that anyone with any time on the AT would have witnessed an unruly dog. Count yourself lucky.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Dude, you've never seen a dog shake water all over the place after being in an all-day rain or stomping through a shelter with muddy paws

This place may over magnify some things, but I'd think that anyone with any time on the AT would have witnessed an unruly dog. Count yourself lucky.
    never seen a truly unruly dog out hiking period. you guys make it sound like people are out hiking with Beethoven. never seen it, nope. i'm sure it happens, but just as i may be lucky to have never seen it, i think anyone who talks about these things as if they happen to them all the time is either exaggerating or i2 as unlucky as i am lucky, at a minimum.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

A picture of JT's dog bite from his Trail Journal this year (see link from post 84). He was a SOBO who got bit at Wadliegh Lean-to. Unfortunately he only made it to Jo-Mary Rd.
    http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?trailname=13752

Here's one from 2010 at Logan Brook Shelter:
    http://www.trailjournals.com/text/entry.cfm?id=319524

Then there's this entry from 2007:
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=190485

So yea it happens, but not very often. Of course if you're the one getting bit than one is too many.

Seems like the PCT is even worse for dog bites.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

A picture of JT's dog bite from his Trail Journal this year (see link from post 84). He was a SOBO who got bit at Wadliegh Lean-to. Unfortunately he only made it to Jo-Mary Rd.
    http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?trailname=13752

Here's one from 2010 at Logan Brook Shelter:
    http://www.trailjournals.com/text/entry.cfm?id=319524

Then there's this entry from 2007:
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=190485

So yea it happens, but not very often. Of course if you're the one getting bit than one is too many.

Seems like the PCT is even worse for dog bites.

"I have crossed paths with at least 100 dogs, on the AT, and probably 15 of them were thru hiking dogs. This was my first negative dog experience."

sounds about right.

Images

how do you get bit twice by the same dog?

theres a lot to be said for fear of dogs being part of why these things happen, the dog should have had a fight on it's hands after the first bite, if not before.
    Yeah, it's always the victim's fault for getting bitten.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    Yeah, it's always the victim's fault for getting bitten.
    the first bite, no. the second one though? i seem to recall a bit of wisdom about fool me once, fool me twice.

Journal Entries
    Images

Really? No, I have not seen any of that ... must be a cyber hiking issue.

By far most of the dog problems I have seen are not owned by thru-hikers, but day hikers.
    The vast majority of dogs are well behaved, but you tend to remember the problem dogs.
    Oh not day hikers... Don - I apreciate what you are saying ... blame the posters who have a psycological issue with all beasts that scare them. Spiders, snakes, fleas, ticks, bears,- and the list goes on..... folks are constantly posting about fear here on WB. It's good to talk about problems.... the couch isn't big enough.... takes a shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post

Well John we agree. I see the other side - unrully outspoken person. (rare treat) Not referring to anyone here, it happened.

nope. nor have i ever seen anything like this happen to anyone else. not saying it doesn't happen, but this place tends to over magnify things. to read some of these threads you'd think the AT was full of poorly disciplined dogs running amok ruining everyone's gear and biting people.
    Thanks! appreciate the help - Pm sent.

OK … Here is something for all the folks to think about on WB that do not have a dog or pet.. You are preaching to the choir here...

The psychology of the dog forum

PEOPLE - good folk come to WB to learn more about doing the right thing and learning from other dog owners about taking a dog on the available AT and blue blazed nearby trails.... There is no question that many come here just to learn the basics. IF you are a newbie and feel the need to tell dog owners to have a leash... You are killing members that want to be part of WB...

Take a moment!

Last year, I took a look at several threads posted over two years within the forum from hiking dog owners that are really excited to sign up and when they dug into the rhetoric of the dog forum.... stopped posting and in fact moved on – about half in one month or less. You as a group are in fact are chasing member's away with your bark, um post....

As someone who just started to donate to the SPCA and I am in several programs to foster "bad" dogs that have been given up. The “keep your dog at home” and “get a leash” will not make you popular here on this forum.

Many come here to learn or decided for themselves about their pets on the trail. Please, Tone it down or "self" choose to stay away from the dog forum.

As a group I am only asking for consistency here! Think or read what Sgt Rock says before you post. CLICK HERE

My intentions are good, I gave this a lot of thought and this is just for folks to ponder upon. I work too hard to make sure that my dog is “appropriate” for any trail. As a person who has been bitten by a retired police german shepard as a kid delivering newspapers and trampled by a horse... a little later. Folks ya need to move on - Go Hiking.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

"I have crossed paths with at least 100 dogs, on the AT, and probably 15 of them were thru hiking dogs. This was my first negative dog experience."

sounds about right.

This is the unfortunate truth of the matter. My dog rarely makes an impression on other hikers since she pays them no mind. I suspect that tsoczi's well behaved dog is just as readily forgotten. People can Pass a hundred well behaved dogs with little more than a nod, but have an encounter with some clueless newbie or weekender's poorly behaved dog and they will be the first to jump into the dog forum and hijack every productive discussion in order to vent about it (and I DID consider the first page or two of this thread to be a productive discussion).

I have to ask once again, do those of you who complain about encounters with poorly behaved dogs actually say anything to the owner? Believe it or not, often does work.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Well said W.O.O. and it also hits close to home. The hiking buddy that introduced me to this site joined enthusiastically to get info on section hiking with his border collie. He was only an active member for a few weeks before the folks trolling the dog forum convinced him to leave the site and not come back.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I am new to the hiking with dog arena. This summer we did 100miles in SNP. After reading many post about how many hikers hate dogs on the trail I was afraid to let my dog close to another human. Most if not all loved my dog even as I was leary of people saying nice things and oh can I pet her can i give her a snack. The most dog friendly were the tru s I guess who wanted the affection of a dog. MAny said how much they missed their own dog and how they wished they could have brought their dog on the long hike. I dont think I would take my dog on a thru hike but for those who do and for those who think of their dog first I really like to see the variety and friendship a dog brings to the trail... Even though at times they can be a nousance. Cant find a more loyal friend. Bring em all to the trail. As for the owners who dont take the needs of their dog first or the desires of their fellow hikers please leave your dog in the comfort of their home

Images

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    I am new to the hiking with dog arena. This summer we did 100miles in SNP. After reading many post about how many hikers hate dogs on the trail I was afraid to let my dog close to another human. Most if not all loved my dog even as I was leary of people saying nice things and oh can I pet her can i give her a snack. The most dog friendly were the tru s I guess who wanted the affection of a dog. MAny said how much they missed their own dog and how they wished they could have brought their dog on the long hike. I dont think I would take my dog on a thru hike but for those who do and for those who think of their dog first I really like to see the variety and friendship a dog brings to the trail... Even though at times they can be a nousance. Cant find a more loyal friend. Bring em all to the trail. As for the owners who dont take the needs of their dog first or the desires of their fellow hikers please leave your dog in the comfort of their home

while i'm too lazy to take my dog backpacking, that is the experience i always have with him while out dayhiking and very much the only response ive ever seen from thru hikers towards other dogs out on the trail. ive been in an overflowing shelter in a rain storm with 6 or 8 thru hikers and a very wet smelly dog. no one seemed to mind in the least.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Well said W.O.O. and it also hits close to home. The hiking buddy that introduced me to this site joined enthusiastically to get info on section hiking with his border collie. He was only an active member for a few weeks before the folks trolling the dog forum convinced him to leave the site and not come back.
    Thanks - makes the "research" all the more worthwhile!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    That is a shame!!! It happens on a lot of different subjects not just on hiking with dogs.

tdoczi said....
    nope. nor have i ever seen anything like this happen to anyone else. not saying it doesn't happen, but this place tends to over magnify things. to read some of these threads you'd think the AT was full of poorly disciplined dogs running amok ruining everyone's gear and biting people.....

I agree with him completely. I, personally, don't see a thread, read about someone's issue that they encountered on the trail or someone's FEAR of beasts or anything else, and think to myself- this is what happens on the trail. I don't make that jump in my mind at all.

I rather think to myself, I need to be aware that this could happen but I take it for what it is worth. I don't take offense to the person that is "venting" about their problem. I'm glad they feel comfortable sharing with everyone. If you've just had a problem, you want to share what happened.

Emotions run high at times, with different people, in different circumstances. The really beautiful thing that could happen when people share, is that they feel better after they have shared something about themselves or experience they had. After people are validated (felt like they've been heard/understood) then, they are open for constructive criticism, they are willing to accept other ways of looking at things etc... and people are actually helped instead of being insulted or run off.

It's not so much what people come on here and say- it's about the response they get from what they say that can make the difference on how helpful this site is to anyone that wants to find info or share their concerns on any given subject.

WOO has done the research on this particular subject or thread- Nice work. It's not looking good for people that posted on this subject thread. I wonder how many other threads or posts would have the same results.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Yes, Yes, and YES!! I've seen too many bad things happen in regards to dogs to assume in any way that they are
    well trained by their owners.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

I don't mind a dog with a hiker whether day, section, weekend or thru hiker. But it should be on a leash. It is not the responsibility of the other person to stay away from your loose dog, or to keep it out of the only water supply, or to keep it from shaking its fur all over everyone's bags, or to stick their nose in your face when you are trying to eat, to not approach you too closely, to not jump on you, to make you have to hide your food if you walk away from it b/c the owner not watching the dog allows it to walk all over and smell things and the dog then eats your dinner.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++