WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Warbonnet Blackbird XLC

Still kicking around the idea of using a hammock. After reviewing several different brands the one that seems like it would work the best for me is the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. I was just looking for any input on anyone using Warbonnet. As always any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have had two warbonnet hammocks and while they were nice, I just did not like them. I have a ridgerunner I have used once I need to sell. I am in love with my Clark NX-250.

I've loved all my WBBB. I've had a 1.7 DL WBBB (need to sell). I used it on some canoe trips, so that it weighs more and supports double my weight, wasn't an issue. I've got a 1.1 DL WBBB, but lately got a 1.1 WBBB XLC and love it. Very versatile. That all said, I still fiddle around with the suspension. Currently, I have some tree straps, with Dutch Clips to secure them on the tree. Then I've gone to UCR (Utility Constrictor Rope) for the adjustments. Seems to work really well. Very comfortable hammock due to it's increased length. I live the shelf, I add in a ridge line organizer also. I've put on the winter overcover, but have not really used it. The bug netting on the XLC, you can get it out of the way much easier than on the regular WBBB.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BrianOH72 View Post
    Still kicking around the idea of using a hammock. After reviewing several different brands the one that seems like it would work the best for me is the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. I was just looking for any input on anyone using Warbonnet. As always any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Another vote in favor of the WBBB XLC! I have the double 1.1 and my son has one too. Like all hammocks, you have to play around with the hang angle to find your personal sweet spot, but for me it's been much more comfortable than sleeping on a pad on the ground. If you can afford it, I strongly recommend that you use a nice down under-quilt for insulation rather than a pad in the hammock, and if you use a Cuben Fiber tarp, the combo is no heavier than a lightweight tent+sleeping bag+pad. Go to www.hammockforums.net to see if you can find a group hang nearby so you can try lying in one.

Images

owned two, but sold them. i have 3 DIY's and 2 HH. i agree with going to a hang to try one out.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I have a XLC and a HH. Like the both and am keeping them both. For my AT thru hike in 16 I will be using the XLC along with a 3 season backcountry bed. A heat reflective thermarest and one of the heavier built heat reflecting blankets to go between the two layers. As far as what is best, don't have a big preference, depends on what I am doing. I still use a tent at times but think the hammock on the AT will be an easier option that will provide a better sleep for a tired, sore body. Also lighter and a fast up and down without having to sit it in the mud when it's wet out. I like the XLC.

I ordered the XLC after viewing Shugs vid on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jU8mzz3xJk
    Should be here next week, I'm upgrading to the XLC from a standard Warbonnet Blackbird.

Last summer I did a 10 day hike, using my WBBB the first 5 days an switching back to my tent the next 5 days. We had rain three of the first 5 nights. I slept very well and nothing got wet except the Cuban tarp. The next 5 nights included 2 hard storms. Poor sleep and very wet tent, top and bottom.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

love my Warbonnet Blackbird, used it for years. The only problem I have is sleeping so well I wake up way later than I want to!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    love my Warbonnet Blackbird, used it for years. The only problem I have is sleeping so well I wake up way later than I want to!
    I second that.

Love my WBBB 1.1 DL, though since going to an UQ, I should consider swapping for a 1.1 SL. My only issue, is not being able to remove the bug net, though to be fair, it doesn't really matter.. I just tie it back when I am not using it.

Images

I love my WBBB 1.1 DL. Never slept better. There is a learning curve, and hammocks are not for everyone, but if it works for you, I think you will love it.

You should see if you can borrow one to see how you sleep. If you go for it I think it is worth investing in an under quilt/top quilt system.

I now have a WBBB 1.7 SL XLC on order. I cannot wait to try that out.

Images

go check out hammock forums plenty of information about hammocks

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I second that.

Love my WBBB 1.1 DL, though since going to an UQ, I should consider swapping for a 1.1 SL. My only issue, is not being able to remove the bug net, though to be fair, it doesn't really matter.. I just tie it back when I am not using it.
    As it turns out, I switched to the 1.1 SL and, well, it hasn't been a party. True I shed a few ounces, but the 1.1 material is proving too stretchy for my 190lb frame. Though I am able to manage away the calf ridge, it takes work I never had to do on the DL. I am looking at a 1.6 Hyper D Raven from Dream Hammock.

One of the idiosyncrasies of the regular Blackbird (and the XLC with the net on) is that the side pullouts are attached to the net, not the hammock body. If you are out of the hammock with the net unzipped, the hammock body sucks back into the UQ. Plus you need to navigate in and under the bug net while sorting out what's happening to the hammock body. It's a pain. Additionally, with the pullouts attached to the net, you have no pullouts at all if the net is rolled back or removed. If you're not using a Knotty mod, the material is flopping over on your fact.\

Quote Originally Posted by WILLIAM HAYES View Post
    go check out hammock forums plenty of information about hammocks
    I practically live on HF..

I have the WBBB 1.1 DL and have little to no issues with it; occassional calf ridge when I don't make simple adjustments that I know I should make after the 1st "Test Lie" after hanging it. I have never wanted or needed anything else.

However, If I were starting over, Dutch's Chameleon would get my vote. Soft Material choices, and a build as you go capability. Especially love the idea of the Top Cover for cold weather use.

It's worth checking out, that is for sure.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Seen and appreciate the Chameleon.. The Raven is equally modular, symmetrical lay just like the Chameleon; removable net & top cover option as well. fully customizable too. Nothing against the Chameleon. I am big Dutch fan. Tarp Worms are a gift from heaven! Hooks, Wasp, Quilt Hangers.. I have no shortage of bling.

What I find with the 1.1 BB is that it is less forgiving if the hang isn't spot on. I get calf ridge and shoulder squeeze that I never had on the DL BB regardless of the hang. If it were a year or two ago and you asked me whether I would ever move on from the BB, I would have told you not a chance. But after trying a few other options I am finding some of the features of the BB really bother me. I do like the shelf, but I have an AHE Bushman Hammock Chair that I hang as a gear loft and with the quad zippers on the DH it is as close as the BB's shelf. The tie outs annoy me... damned if I use them and damned if I don't. The Ravens' tie outs suit me far more and they work the same with or without the net or cover.

++ New Posts ++