WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I did Buena Vista to Daleville last week and have now hiked every mile from Pen-Mar Park to Damascus, plus 40 miles from Indian Grave to 19E. I love being on the trail.

Just finished a short (38 mile) stretch from VA 603 down to Damascus. No ponies. Making up for a couple of blue blazes many years ago.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    Began in April....Amicalola -> Deep Gap.

Trying to get through the Smokies by year's end.

I'm sectioning in order....tough living right in the heart of VA and not knocking out huge miles in my backyard...but that day will come!
    I'm not doing it in order, and I still haven't done all of VA (got 80 miles left...most of it in Shenandoah NP). It's been funny because it's weird to have hiked most of the AT, and not have done stuff that's 1.5 hours from me. Should be hitting that up either this year or next though.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Registered User Purposeful Wandering's Avatar

I'm heading out to complete my next section in a few days. I'm starting Vermont. I've hiked CT and MA so far, working my way steadily north for now. I was originally planning to hike my section beginning Memorial Day weekend, but we've had a lot of rain New England and I heard the mud and black flies were pretty awful, so I decided to push it back.

I assume it'll still be muddy, but hopefully the black flies won't be so bad!

Has anyone been in Vermont this time of year? Are there generally a lot of people out?

Boarded the Amtrak at 4:00 this morning in Sandusky Ohio, headed for Rutland Vermont. Will stay at the Yellow Deli tonight then back on the trail headed for Maine.

Images

Have a great hike, Deacon! That's rugged, remote, brutal, and beautiful country ahead if you.

I'll be passing Rutland next month, but only to Hanover.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Boarded the Amtrak at 4:00 this morning in Sandusky Ohio, headed for Rutland Vermont. Will stay at the Yellow Deli tonight then back on the trail headed for Maine.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Will be hiking Bland to Pearisburg in Nov. Can't get out as much or as long as I would like.

Just returned home after going from Marion, VA (Partnership Shelter) to Harper's Ferry in exactly six weeks. The trail miles is 491 miles, but the total miles was well over 500 with all the side trails to water, shelters, waysides in SNP and towns.

I started at Springer last year and hiked to Marion, VA, so I have completed almost half the AT in 13 months. I'm trying to decide now if I want to go back in the Fall for a couple of hundred miles more to put Pennsylvania and the rocks behind me. Ultimately, I should finish the whole trail by 2020.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Doing Rutland VT to Katahdin starting June 21st. This will be my last segment to complete the AT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    The Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I'll finish this year, over Columbus Day weekend in October.

I have about 1,900 miles done and 300 to go. Have flights booked to do Vermont in July (Mt. Greylock, MA to Hanover, NH), then last half of Maine in September (Caratunk to Katahdin) (plan to attend Trails End Festival afterward). That's about 300 miles total.

Then for grand finale I still need to hike 20 miles from Bears Den Trail Center to ATC HQ in Harpers Ferry.

I will have hiked by every white blaze. Since 2003.

(But if anything comes up, I should finish next year for sure.)
    Got a couple of ya trying to finish this year. Good luck to you guys. Right now I'm projecting out to finish up sometime in 2019 if all goes well...we'll see.

I've been doing this since the fall of 2007, and have passed every white blaze. Didn't do it in order, but all sections have been Northbound, so I'll complete a NB hike once I finish. Sitting at 485.4 miles to go with a big trip planned late this summer. If I successfully complete that I'll be under 400 miles left by year end.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Images

In October I plan on flying into New york city grabbing a taxi to the train at grand central and having that train drop me off at the trailhead in NY, then hiking south into NJ.

I'll be doing the Vermont AT in mid-September.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Change of plans.

I am no longer headed to Springer. I had always planned to officially start my section hike on Springer, and I figure I could do it, but why punish myself with the heat and humidity at this time of year. I am now starting at Harper's Ferry with 4 possible locations to end my hike depending on how many miles I can average. Dalton, MA or MA/VT state line if I average around 17-18 miles a day but I am hopeful that I can get to Rutland or even Hanover but I would have to average 20+. I am optimistic, occasionally to a fault.

I've been walking the local monument steps with a 25 lb pack 4-5 times a week about 2 hours a day, 20 laps which is 3,400 steps and walking some relatively flat trails another 5-8 miles a few times to week with the occasional trail run trying to get my legs ready. Its my first time physically preparing for a trip and I've found that climbing stairs is quite the workout. The first few couple days were more difficult than expected but it is amazing how fast the body can adapt. Hopefully the prep pays off.

I was at those steps today. What is the elevation of each climb? Assuming McKinley Monument.

Hi PGH1NC, you are correct, it is the McKinley Monument. I was there today also from around 3:00-5:30 or so. I normally go in the evening sometime after 6 to beat the worst of the sun and heat but had to go earlier today. I unfortunately don't have any idea about the elevation of the climb. I tried to look it up at one point but didn't haven't had any luck finding any information. The only numbers that I have are that the main steps number 96 to the main landing area of the monument and each set of steps on the side of the monument count 37 for a total of 170.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mugthumper View Post
    Hopefully the prep pays off.
    To me, prep helps me enjoy each day more, not do more miles each day. But then, HYOH.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I was there from 9:30-1. My son was there with a friend then they did 50 laps, up down = 1 lap. With pack.
    I did about 13 with light pack and lots of laps in the shade around the "pool." Have been using Quail Hollow a lot with pack.
    Planning SNP at the end of July.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    To me, prep helps me enjoy each day more, not do more miles each day. But then, HYOH.
    Where I live, we don't have mountains. We don't even have trails with what I consider to be hills. Everything is fairly flat. I simply want to be prepared to tackle the daily ups and downs. By physically preparing my hope is that I am putting myself in the best possible scenario to accomplish what I set out to do, which is see as much of the trail as I can in my allotted time and enjoy every second of it. Hiking with aching knees and sore feet can sure cut into that enjoyment in a real hurry.

I'm also not much of a camper. In July I'm on the trail between 6-7 I'm usually not making camp until 8:30 as long as I'm not down in some valley. I will always try to find something to explore or some nice scenery and take a good hour lunch break mid day. I never miss an overlook if I can help it. I also find time to pull my camera out a dozen or so times a day although I rarely capture anything worth showing off. It is usually just so I remember a person, a certain moment in time or a point of interest. This time of year, I often find that there is more than enough daylight to take advantage of whatever a trail offers, and sometimes that is just more trail.

The only thing I can think of that would ruin my enjoyment of the trail is my body breaking down in the first few days and ending up in town or spending half my waking hours in my hammock nursing some injury. I simply try to prepare myself physically to reduce the chance of that happening.

Hiking higher miles doesn't necessarily mean less enjoyment. But yea, HYOH I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by PGH1NC View Post
    I was there from 9:30-1. My son was there with a friend then they did 50 laps, up down = 1 lap. With pack.
    I did about 13 with light pack and lots of laps in the shade around the "pool." Have been using Quail Hollow a lot with pack.
    Planning SNP at the end of July.
    I might start heading over there in the morning if I can't make it in the evening. The sun really wore me down today. It took me a half hour longer than it usually does when I walk it in the evening. Not to mention the intense farmers tan that I have acquired. Wowza on the 50 laps. That is a lot of steps. Maybe I'll bump into you out there one of these days.

Quail Hollow is also where I've been walking during the mornings this past week. My son has had summer camp nearby this past week which leaves me with about 3 hours to kill before I pick him up. I'll likely be there again tomorrow morning.

You have probably been there but if not check out Mohican State Park. It has a 25 mile mountain bike trail that is also designated for hiking. It is better hiking than anything else not named the Buckeye Trail, that I've found locally over the years. It has somewhere around 3100 feet of elevation gain total. It also has 3 backcountry sites that only require a free permit. I was out there last a couple weeks ago, with my family for a day hike. I carried my 2 year old on my back in her pack and all the food drinks (about 45 lbs), and my 6 and 4 year old were able to complete roughly 8 miles with minimal fuss, so it is still fairly easy, but I found that it provided more of a challenge than most anything in say CVNP. Its the best place I've found if you are ever looking for a spontaneous overnighter without driving down to Wayne or over into PA.

I just got home from my most recent hike; from Devils Fork Gap to Dennis Cove Rd - 110 miles between Hot Springs and Damascus. Very beautiful section, several waterfalls and cascades, lots of overgrown places, lots of hazardous footing for people who aren't sure footed. I don't know if I would have noticed that last part except that I was hiking with a couple women for a few days who aren't "sure footed" and they were forced to hike very slowly.

I met a guy on the way down into Erwin (near Uncle Johnny's Hostel) who mentioned white blaze and seemed to recognize my screen name - but he didn't mention his. Hmmm... wonder who he was.

Shortly after stopping into Uncle Johnny's, I stayed in Curley Maple Gap Shelter, where a guy named WickenWitch was living for a month... interesting guy, had the place cleaned up nicely and had moth balls spread around inside the shelter, so no mice.

Stopped into Roan High Knob Shelter, the highest elevation shelter on the AT, didn't stay, but got a pic. Good sized 2 story shelter with door and windows that actually close.

Stayed at Overmountain Shelter, the converted barn (tented there) situated on a beautiful location!

Went .1 mile out of the way to see Jones Falls, beautiful, took 2 pictures, then proceeded on my way ... 30 minutes later I recognized a few things. Crap, I went the wrong way after visiting the falls - embarrassing to admit. Ended up getting to Mountaineer Shelter (cool 3 level) just before dark.

Great section, great views, great people as usual. Only 3 mornings of rain hiking.

Thinking about a Maine sobo section from Monson to Rte 17. Will get to Kennebec and decide how I feel. July 19th start date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++