WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Compresion shorts vs underwear

Can anyone advise pros and cons? Thanks in advance

Journal Entries

I have exofficio underwearBut i hike with compression shorts
    Never any issues other than gets ripe after a while
    Keeps ticks at bay
    If the pickle.moves around, it can chafe

You ought to figure what works for yourself by doing some long hikes. Personally, I can't walk five miles in tidy-whities without chafing bad enough to require an airlift. But two pair of high dollar under-armour boxer-briefs and a little body-glide, and I'm good to go for a week on the trail. I've never tried compression shorts.

Great advice, thank you gentlemen

I've been using exofficio give-n-go boxer briefs for a little while now and I love them. Easy to wash at night and no odor. I like the feel of compression shorts, but I've had some bad experiences with the seems and high mileage. I wore them for a very long and difficult selection course once and at the end of 8 days I had some serious chaffing where the seems were. I also only slept 9 hours that week and did over 100 mile on my feet with a 40 lb ruck, so I was having some serious bodily damage issues.

Compression shorts are the only thing that works. I have cut out the net underwear built into the light weight running shots I wear and use the compession shorts. Just buy the ones that have no seams to minimize any potential chafing and/or bring a lubricant/lotion if you get any sore areas. Treat the areas just as if you are getting a hot spot on your foot or else you will pay for it later.

exofficio and body glide work for me, like TS stated earlier, compression shorts got me as well over time.

I used compression shorts on a 90 mile hike a year back and suffered serious chafing on the waist band and the very tops of my thighs where the legs of the shorts connected at the crotch. Back then I didn't use anti blister/chafing products. Now I where exofficio give &ego sports mesh boxer breifs and have Tail Toes to treat chafing, which has not been an issue yet.

I dislike compression shorts. They are fine for an athletic afternoon but, for day after day after day wear... a guy has gotta have some room.

I have several pair of Ex-Officio underwear but, I now hike in Duluth Trading Company "Buck Naked Performance Boxers" and "Boxer Briefs". Comparable to Ex-Officio fabric but, the cut is slightly more generous, seams are finished better and, regularly sale priced in the $15/pair range.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/p...NN-prod2-67019
    http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/p...NN-prod1-76015

Good Luck

For me...compression shorts prevent chaffing

The Ex-Officio briefs I bought were great at first, but fairly quickly got stretched out of shape and developed small holes.

I've been using these for the last year, they've kept their shape, the crotch is ventilated, wick moisture away, prevent any chafing, and have kept their shape. I wouldn't necessarily want to sleep in them however. Like any other article of clothing, getting the size right would be important.

Neither. I use water/hiking shorts that have a built-in mesh liner. I still occasionally get some chafing in very hot weather when I sweat. I clean up down there each evening and use Dr. Bonner's powder. This year, I'm trying Body Glide as a preventative. Richard and the boys don't do all cooped up in any type of underwear and I'm too chicken to try true commando.

Exofficio give-n-go boxer briefs for over 500 trail miles now and I wear them everyday of my life. I'm sure there's other underwear that's just as comfortable but I feel no reason to change. Also, you can find them on sale for about $13-15 a pair. I would like to try some merino wool underwear but it's really pricey. I bought 10 pairs of exoffcio's on sale in different colors and wear them everyday. I think I'm good for a few years. My first pair has kinda faded and pilled a little but is still completely fine. I never had any problems with the waistbands giving out either. Plenty supportive as well.

Find them on sale and give them a try, if you don't like them for hiking, I'm sure you'll still wear them in your everyday life. And like all backpacking gear, it's gonna develop a funk if you wear them 7 days in a row without cleaning yourself or your laundry. It's just part of hiking.

Compression shorts in my opinion are too tight. I have UA and Nike Combat compression shorts from previous sports/training and now I wear my exofficios in place of them too.

Compression shorts for support at the start of a cool weather hike under the skimmpiest easiest fitting nylon running shorts. If I don't it creates a tripping hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Compression shorts for support at the start of a cool weather hike under the skimmpiest easiest fitting nylon running shorts. If I don't it creates a tripping hazard.
    now that's funny!

I just keep it tucked in my sock.

Patagonia Capilene boxers are better than ex officio and will last for decades...but will cost you more. Icebreaker merino boxers are great but will cost you a pretty penny and fall apart under daily use.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mtsman View Post
    exofficio and body glide work for me, like TS stated earlier, compression shorts got me as well over time.

Massdrop has some very good pricing on a 2 pack of exofficio briefs for the next couple of days. in case anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I just keep it tucked in my sock.
    I prefer to keep it wrapped around my waist and then it obviates the need for a belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by garminator View Post
    Can anyone advise pros and cons? Thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Compression shorts for support at the start of a cool weather hike under the skimmpiest easiest fitting nylon running shorts...
    Let me explain in seriousness. Read this first. http://www.mensjournal.com/gear/spor...craze-20131108

At the start of a long strenuous multi wk + hike typically under cool conditions when not in the utmost thru-hiking condition but not very out of physical shape compression wear, specifically briefs/shorts and socks, reduces inflammation, soreness, tightness, and enhances recovery time. In my estimate for me, as the Men's Journal article states, the benefits I feel are rather small maybe increasing my performance by 10-15% max. But, that's me. I don't typically wear compression wear during summer as that is the time I'm typically at my fittest other than rarely wearing Zensah compression shin sleeves to address shin splints or short compression sleeve socks to fight foot fatigue which are both rare situations for me anymore. When it gets warm and I'm in my desired thru-conditioned mode I usually ditch all compression wear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++