WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Entire thru-hike with no blisters.

I have been section hiking the AT all summer in preparation for my 2015 NOBO thru. I read a claim by a gentlemen stating that he read some magical book and successfully hiked the trail without a single blister. It seems no matter how tough my legs, back and knees get, after any week of hiking I'm always suffering from blisters. Suffering is a tough word to use because it's always manageable and nothing too serious. I use Oboz high cut boots that I am still deciding whether I like or not, I also use wool liner socks and another pair of wool hiking socks and that seems to help a lot. I also use Leki Cristallo trekking poles which help my joints but not the blisters per say.

What are some of everybody's secrets to foot health on the AT? ( moleskin/ taping techniques, etc) And if anybody else has also read this magical book haha that would be helpful as well.

I love this forum, this is my first post. Cheers and happy hiking! Viva la AT!

Oh and if anybody in the Baltimore, Maryland area is planning on a NOBO thru around March 10 let me know! I am going solo and as I am a music teacher and extrovert I would love to have some friends to suffer with haha

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I don't know about a magical book but your feet will toughen up the more you hike. The first time a did a section hike I came home with my feet covered with blisters. When I thrued I remember one blister and loosing one toenail (and you thought blisters were bad).

One thing I do have problems with is getting blisters under my calluses. I have trim them occasionally.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Try lighter weight hiking shoes/boots/trail runners. I haven't had a blister in 30 years and I hike all the time, probably why I haven't had a blister in forever. I also use silk liner socks, not wool. I have lost toenails though...

i've never had a blister from walkin' on the AT

Journal Entries

Lightweight breathable trails runners with roomy toes
    Lightwt body
    Light pack
    One thin breathable wool or synthetic sock
    Keep socks clean in dusty environs , not a big AT issue.

Then again, I've never had a blister since i quit roller skating, so I may have no idea what I'm talking about. I may just not be prone to blisters.

I have had raw heels from mud in my socks, and I can sense when I need to rinse socks out by how my feet feel.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-01-2014 at 19:39.

Merino wool socks, no sock liners and Superfeet insoles did the trick for me after experimenting with other ideas. The hard plastic Superfeet insole let the socks slide on the insole instead of your feet sliding in the sock and creating the blisters. http://www.superfeet.com/ Hiking here in South Florida often involves wet feet. No problem with the wool socks and Superfeet insoles.

I walked the AT in 2013 & only had one blister (right heel two days after replacing shoes). I used trail running shoes (Brooks Cascadias; loose fit), merino wool socks (REI & Darn Tough), Dirty Girl Gaiters, & BlisterShield foot powder (works great). Typically, I try to air out my feet often. On the AT, I was wet so much I didn't bother after a while. I made sure I aired out my feet @ camp w/ no socks & my Crocs (assuming it wasn't freezing).

As a general rule, I rarely blister. I'm careful that the shoes or boots I get feel perfect before I leave the store w/ them.

I'd also highly recommend trail runners for a thru-hike. Keep your pack weight down & your feet should be 'okay.' Your feet will still ache putting in mile after mile of trail. Particularly if it is rocky.

Good luck on your hike.

Try peeing on your feet to toughen up the skin

I walked barefoot on pavement to prep my feet and it worked. Started out doing a 1/2 mile and worked my way up. I now run barefoot on the beach, both in the very soft sand, which doesn't really do anything for my feet toughness, but great for ankle muscles, but the running on the wet sand is like running on sandpaper. And I've done a little barefoot running on pavement, not as bad as you would think.

Nowadays I do the bulk of my yardwork bare foot, those sweetgum seed pods are really good for toughin' the feet.

Images

"Fixing Your Feet" is a great book for suggestions and solutions to foot problems often encountered by long distance hikers and runners. The author gives a three word tip that he says is the best ever "injinji toe socks". I wear these under my smartwool socks and have not had any blister issues thus far. Also shoe fit ,toe nail trimming and lubricants are critical along with allowing for opportunities to let your feet breathe and dry out. Just my $.02 worth. Hope you find the solutions you are searching for.

Keeping your feet dry is the most important thing. Which is easier said then done.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

"Fixing your Feet" likely the book referred to as mentioned. http://www.amazon.com/Fixing-Your-Fe...dp/0899976387#

Agree with others strongly- I grew up with the old wisdom- "liner sock, wool (or fancy Thorlo synthetic) and properly fit and broken in boots" was as good as it gets.

Well ventilated trail runners, a single pair of good wool socks, and keeping them clean is true wisdom.

If you are subject to toe on toe blisters the toe socks help that specific problem.

I make myself get into the habit of “working up” my feet every morning and every evening before going to be. In the evening, I inspect, clean, trim nails, and apply gold bond before going to bed. In the morning I re-inspect, tape any spots of concern and apply a liberal amount of Vaseline. If I’m walking with wet feet all day, I’ll reapply Vaseline at mid-day. I also can’t say enough about Leukotape. From my experience it’s far superior to any other tape out there, (duct, medical, scotch, packing, painters, masking, etc.), I like to put a piece of moleskin directly over a hot spot and cover with a piece of Leuko. Unless I want it off, I’ll be in the same spot a week later.
    I also have few to no problems when wearing trail runners instead of boots as the weather allows, and I’m a big advocate of washing out my other pair of socks, (Darn Tough) at a convenient water source in the morning and hanging them from my pack to dry during the day, again, as weather allows.

If you work up some calluses before you go that would probably help. Hopefully your section hiking has helped with this.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBarnwell View Post
    Oh and if anybody in the Baltimore, Maryland area is planning on a NOBO thru around March 10 let me know! I am going solo and as I am a music teacher and extrovert I would love to have some friends to suffer with haha
    Oh good ole' Bmore, how I miss you. You have my well wishes just from living there.

As for wanting companionship on your thru-hike. You will have it whether you find someone before you hike or not. The flow of people going NOBO in March and April is constant.

Concerning your feet. Besides all the good advice on footwear and conditioning that others have already given, I would say to "listen to your feet". You will know when something is wrong or if something needs to be addressed before it becomes a problem.

I've only had blisters a couple of times on the AT. Once, years ago, it was from a newish pair of monster leather boots, worn on the section between Gorham and Grafton Notch -- so no big surprise there.

Aside from that the only other occasion I remember is from wearing a pair of crappy Wolverine boots in PA and MD, during a spell of wet weather. I ditched the Wolverines in Harpers Ferry for a pair of New Balance running shoes and feet were fine for another few hundred miles.

Blisters are more likely to hit when feet get wet and stay that way for days on end. Whenever possible, I take off my socks at camp to let my feet air out. If it's so cold that socks have to be worn (even at camp) then I'll try to switch to fresh, clean socks ASAP.

Gold Bond powder is nice stuff. If my feet are feeling hot in the middle of the day, I'll sometimes use that.

Be mindful of tending to hot spots BEFORE they turn to blisters or skin being broken.
    Wear looser fitting shoes but ones that don't flop around on your feet. Lower cut shoes tend to breathe better.
    Air tootsies out often.
    Find a way that works for you and your hike that transports and somewhat removes moisture away and off your skin.
    Take along an anti-friction anti-chaffing salve/cream.

I was lucky enough to have zero blisters on my hike from Springer Mountain to New Jersey in 2012. I had maximum breathability by wearing Chaco sandals, starting out with liner socks (cheap nylon dress socks) underneath Darn Tough wool socks. I also carried some Sealskinz waterproof socks in the spring, for cold weather and snow.

I know sandals aren't for everyone, but they worked really well for me. I think the fact that my feet could stay relatively dry (no sweat being trapped inside a shoe or boot) helped my skin stay tough and avoid blistering.

Keep your feet as dry as you can, and your socks as clean as you can.

cheers,

Glogg

Quote Originally Posted by Glogg View Post
    I was lucky enough to have zero blisters on my hike from Springer Mountain to New Jersey in 2012. I had maximum breathability by wearing Chaco sandals, starting out with liner socks (cheap nylon dress socks) underneath Darn Tough wool socks. I also carried some Sealskinz waterproof socks in the spring, for cold weather and snow.

I know sandals aren't for everyone, but they worked really well for me. I think the fact that my feet could stay relatively dry (no sweat being trapped inside a shoe or boot) helped my skin stay tough and avoid blistering.
    +1 for Sandals

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++