WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 2 weeks, 100Mi, But NOBO or SOBO??

Hey now!

Wondering if anyone has some insight as to the difference of crowd conditions in late June/early July, and If it would be better in that regard to start out going South and end up in/near Mass., or start in Mass and work our way up. Rides and transportation isnt really an issue, whats more of a concern being from NYC Metro is lots of people. Any insight of information would be a great help and much appreciated..
    Thanks in advance, all!
    Cloudy

I would go NOBO if I were you

Vermont is a pretty sweet section and in you're given time-period I can't see a real difference in going either direction.
    With that said - go SOBO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    I would go NOBO if I were you

June/July, the wave of NOBOs is somewhere between northern VA and southern New England. But the wave has already thinned out and spread out by then, so it's rarely a problem, IMO. You're likely to see as many day hikers and short-sectioners as thru-hikers.

Images

I'd start in Maine and walk SOBO back home. Mass is nasty in late june/early july. Too hot, tons of mosquitoes, ticks. Maine is nice and cool in july.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    I'd start in Maine and walk SOBO back home. Mass is nasty in late june/early july. Too hot, tons of mosquitoes, ticks. Maine is nice and cool in july.
    Excellent call.

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Excellent call.
    I thought we were talking Long Trail?

If we are, then north of AT split if you want quiet....cept for Camels Hump and Mt Mansfield, but even those are quiet compared to most of the AT.

after doing some research on the Long Trail, I figured it would be best to start out at a friends house in Warren VT. Does anyone know what the average time would be (days) from the closest trailhead to North Adams Mass. is it possible to do it 11-12 days? Is it safe to assume that an intermediate-advanced hiker can make it in that much time barring any unforseen weather (which I am sure happens more than not) or accidents/hazzards? Thanks to you all for being so quick in responding, I havent been more than 5 days out in more than 10 years and want to take a stab at a short one before commiting my body to the 25+ days it may take to end to end it, I am psyched and all of those pictures of gear and the like are so incredibly helpful that I again must thank this site and you all. smile smile smile

Possible, yes, if you're in very good shape. From all reports, the LT gets tougher once you get N. of Vermont Rte. 4. And the location of Warren indicates that it's at least two or three days hiking N of Rte. 4. Figure a week from Williamstown/North Adams (MA) to Vermont Rte. 4 via the AT/LT.

Images

Woops, sorry. Long Trail, OK.

Your closest trailhead to Warren is Lincoln Gap, off of Rt 100 and near Waitsfield. Off the top of my head, its roughly 160 miles from the Mass line to here, maybe a bit much for 10-11 days. For something shorter you could go from Mass line to Rt 4/near Rutland, which is the easiest section of the LT. North of here gets more rugged. Or you could leave from Warren and hike 100miles south to Manchester Center.

Direction really doesn't matter too much as the conditions are pretty uniformed throughout Vermont this time of yr. In general the LT gets harder the farther north you go.

Good luck and let us know if you have other questions

We are in pretty good shape and that shouldnt be the problem. as far as tough goes.. terrain? inclines? trail conditions? or all? is it safe to assume that it would be tougher to start at the border and work down to Warren VT? can that be done in the same amount of time? you rock thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrtflDev View Post
    We are in pretty good shape and that shouldnt be the problem. as far as tough goes.. terrain? inclines? trail conditions? or all? is it safe to assume that it would be tougher to start at the border and work down to Warren VT? can that be done in the same amount of time? you rock thanks
    LOTS of steep ups and downs starting at the Canadian border. slow going for sure

I your opinion, what would be the best 100 miles on the long trail?

Define best. The mountains get higher and gnarlier the closer you get to Canada. That means harder hiking but probably nicer views. If you want a great account of a hike on the Long Trail, get Jan Liteshoe's book, The Ordinary Adventurer.

best = your opinion

Images

Best 100 mile section? Lincoln Gap to Canada. Also the toughest though. You hit all the highlights, starting out with a great 12 mile ridge walk, Camels Hump, Mansfield, Madonna, Whiteface, Laraway, Belvidere and Jay Peak. Not many people either.

Quote Originally Posted by GrtflDev View Post
    best = your opinion
    Nah, I've only done the easy (AT/LT) part. Read Jan's book for the rest.

Thanks A-Train, That sounds like a great hike and being that Lincoln Gap is close to my friends place, i am thinking of starting North and heading down to Lincoln Gap. I am gussine that most of the foot traffic is on the AT/LT part?

Best 100 mile section? Lincoln Gap to Canada. Also the toughest though. You hit all the highlights, starting out with a great 12 mile ridge walk, Camels Hump, Mansfield, Madonna, Whiteface, Laraway, Belvidere and Jay Peak. Not many people either.
    i agree

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++