WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead beat hiker

Is the DD 214 for officers and enlisted? I don't recall getting such a piece of paper. I do remember resigning my commision. It was a LONG time ago.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Even back in ancient times when I received my discharge (1972), the Army furnished a wallet card-sized version of the DD 214 encased in hard plastic. It makes more sense to bring that with you than the original.
    When I got out in 88 I was not furnished with anything other than the regular document. I keep it in my safe with some certified copies from my local courthouse, where it is also on file. I don't carry a copy with me.

Interesting points brought up in this thread.

Discussions that would be interesting:

When does helping become "enabling"? A common "AA" or 12 steps term for helping when others should help themselves.

The National Forest is free to all for camping for two weeks in any appropriate site. Those short on cash can live for quite a while there, not stay at a rental situation, hostel, etc.. which costs $$$. Think Henry Thoreau and "Walden".

When does law enforcement and accusation become excessive? If I am providing a service to a customer and expect a check or cash after the service or product, what are my options if I am not paid? If payment is required before service, moochers and rip-offs will be infrequent--cheap restaurants require pre-pay, while quality restaurants bill you after service is done--a minimum 15% gratuity is standard.

Images

There's a different Papa Smurf, Randy Smith, who's on Hammock Forums and BPL who is a good guy. He sells a small amount of gear at myDIYgear.com and I've had good dealings with him.

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    When I got out in 88 I was not furnished with anything other than the regular document. I keep it in my safe with some certified copies from my local courthouse, where it is also on file. I don't carry a copy with me.
    You can leave the original with the Register of Deeds, should be in the same building you renew your plates, go down there and they can give you a stamped, certified copy.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    What's the one thing all Papa Smurf's have in common? A really lame trail name. (the new whiteblaze needs to work on its smileys)
    Better than Frodo or Gandalf.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    You can leave the original with the Register of Deeds, should be in the same building you renew your plates, go down there and they can give you a stamped, certified copy.
    We don't renew our tags at the courthouse in Va. My DD214 is on record at the Circuit Court Clerk which is probably the same as your Register of Deeds, and they can give me that certified copy. It differs from state to state.

Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post
    wow! you [kayak karl] must have been hitting the sauce pretty hard & early yesterday.

i hope you were, as it would provide an explaination for your convoluted logic & combative attitude. for your sake, i hope that's not how your brain normally operates and processes information.
    Can't a donating member delete his own posts? Of course he's quoted, but perhaps some of those quoting posts are from other donating members and they could charitably choose to delete as well.

Seems like quite a bit of the mess could be cleaned up pretty quickly.

Images

I carry my DD Form 214 as a miniature credit card sized document encased in hard plastic. When I recently registered in my new county with the VA, I had to get a new DDform 314 from the VA and I took it to the local VA's office in our county building and they ceritfied it, notarized it and made me regualy copies and a miniature copy. I guess you need to register with your local VA and have them certify your DDform 214.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    Some people are no longer comfortable with this traditional way to safe-keep one's DD-214. These days, such records can be pulled by anyone under freedom of info, and there's enough there to make identity theft way too easy. I'd recommend a safe deposit box, or even a fire-proof file box in your basement ...
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelmary View Post
    Thanks. I'm alerted and I alerted the Doyle Hotel. Picture would be nice.
    MARY, there is a picture of him on our A.T. facebook group page, put I'll see if I can dig up another. He was spotted at the Liquor store in Shippensburg on Friday morning, the day he got paid, but apparently slipped back into the woods and is heading north according to the clerk at the store.

In my opinion, the reason that the Vietnam Vets show their cards is because they were not given the welcome home that those who have served in Iraq and Afganistan have been shown. They did not receive applause in the airports, train stations or bus terminals. They were not patted on the back and thanked for their service. They were cursed at, spit upon and IGNORED by the american public and the WWII vets. Until recently, saying you served in Vietnam was not something to be proud of. I am married to a former Marine and he will not openly speak about his experiences with non-VN vets but will talk to others that served with him. As to the actual idea of this thread, Papa Smurf is a former Marine and my husband would have been very upset with my son and I if we did not offer help. Little did we know that it would turn out the way it did. My son was raised in the country, taught to practice COUNTRY HOSPITALITY he does not have what you all might call "street smarts" he is a kindhearted man that enjoys helping hikers. You all should stop bashing someone who is trying to help and instead pay it forward.

I agree totally.

Quote Originally Posted by ATladyinpa View Post
    In my opinion, the reason that the Vietnam Vets show their cards is because they were not given the welcome home that those who have served in Iraq and Afganistan have been shown. They did not receive applause in the airports, train stations or bus terminals. They were not patted on the back and thanked for their service. They were cursed at, spit upon and IGNORED by the american public and the WWII vets. Until recently, saying you served in Vietnam was not something to be proud of. I am married to a former Marine and he will not openly speak about his experiences with non-VN vets but will talk to others that served with him. As to the actual idea of this thread, Papa Smurf is a former Marine and my husband would have been very upset with my son and I if we did not offer help. Little did we know that it would turn out the way it did. My son was raised in the country, taught to practice COUNTRY HOSPITALITY he does not have what you all might call "street smarts" he is a kindhearted man that enjoys helping hikers. You all should stop bashing someone who is trying to help and instead pay it forward.
    Assuming this is all true, the sad thing here and the sad fact is that innocent people who were attempting to run a business felt sorry for someone who used a hard luck story to perpetrate a theft of goods and services. This is the bottem line. Now maybe this individual had every intention of paying for his stay and the goods he consumed, and then for some reason known only to him decided to skip out on his tab. Maybe he had intended a rip off from the get-go. The facts are that he was trusted to pay his bill, and he did not. In essence, he was extended a "credit line". Most places do not do this unless there is some type of collateral offered or they are completely sure of who they are doing this for. Since a tab was offered and allowed to this person, who later reneged on his monetary commitment of repayment, then unfortunately as hard as it is to accept, it really is the fault of the creditor. People can't buy things without proper money or credit anywhere I know of, you wouldn't give someone $200 worth of groceries in a store no matter how sweet or trusting they appear and accept their word they will repay you for it in a week or two because they can't at the moment. Nor will you be able to order and receive items online without proper credit and acceptable payment.

Quote Originally Posted by DapperD View Post
    People can't buy things without proper money or credit anywhere I know of, you wouldn't give someone $200 worth of groceries in a store no matter how sweet or trusting they appear and accept their word they will repay you for it in a week or two because they can't at the moment. Nor will you be able to order and receive items online without proper credit and acceptable payment.
    Lots of people and businesses extend credit from bars to banks. Papa Smurf's credit line was his monthly VA check. Bottom line, he ran out without paying his obligation.

I am a bit confused here. You state that he ripped you off and it appears he did, but on your Facebook page you act like it was a pleasure to have him there out picking blueberries and everything.

A war VET taking a week off from the trail and is staying with me at the Hostel... free of charge of course. We must give back to the men and women of our ARMED FORCES
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Where is the contract? If he agreed to pay there should be something in writing.

Also he needs an "out" on this problem--when he is confronted, assuming he owes money that can be verified, give him an opportunity to make restitution. I have been ripped off numerous times. Sometimes by other citizens, sometimes by customers; in the latter case small claims court is efficient, in the former you have the right to blacken the name of the perp. so that other people do not get ripped off.

We have not heard his side of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    I am a bit confused here. You state that he ripped you off and it appears he did, but on your Facebook page you act like it was a pleasure to have him there out picking blueberries and everything.
    WingedMonkey, why should you be confused. I was the one that made the determination to charge Papa for his stay when he promised to contribute to his food and lodging when his VA check arrived. We provided him all manner of comfort, a warm dry place to sleep and very good home cooking. He in turn helped out at the hostel. His total bill (had he been a regular hostel guest) would have come to $400 but because he was a vet and also helped out around here, we discounted it to half of that amount. He was a gentleman during his stay and always very respectful to me that is why "I" was flabbergasted when he exited one day before payday after dark and without so much as a thank you.. Had he been forthcoming and explained to me that he felt as though his services were worth the total bill, I would have most likely overlooked it. If the shoe was on the other foot and I was in that same position as he I would be HONEST with all parties involved and hope that they would understand. It was the fact that he left on the sly that hurt the most. We are a new hostel and right now we operate on my income only which is from social security. Every penny needs to be accounted for. The situation he left us in meant that we could not afford gas for shuttles nor provide really good meals for the hikers that do come to stay. If you need to be negative, I wish you would look at it from my standpoint. Believe me when I say IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN

WINGED MONKEY, give me your address and I will call PAPA SMURF and he can come stay with you for two weeks. I hope you have plenty of food and booze. just make sure you make him pay up front.

[QUOTE=greenmtnboy;1177437]Where is the contract? If he agreed to pay there should be something in writing

Under contract law, contracts for goods or services less than $500, does not need to be in writing. An oral contract (i.e. a promise to pay) is legally binding. But of course I doubt you have a LAW DEGREE, so be careful where you tread if you are uninformed.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++