WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Default Appalachian Tater, some thoughts on your points...

You have to have vitamin D or you can eat calcium all done long and it doesn't do any good. That's why milk is fortified with it.

Very true, and important.

Soy products like tofu are actually a more concentrated source of calcium than milk products are.

Not naturally, they're not. Soy products originate with much lower Calcium levels than does milk. The Calcium in soy milk, tofu, etc., nearly all comes from supplementation. Soy as a source of Calcium can just be thought of as an inefficient, diluted supplement with drawbacks. It is easier just to buy supplement pills, and avoid all the associated negatives soy products have (undesirable estrogen analogs, nutrient blockers, digestive disturbances, quick-rancidity oils, etc.).

You might want to read the post I made above earlier in this thread on how undesirable soy products are for human consumption.

Soy is the basic ingredient in tofu, which has been consumed throughout Asia since at least the 2nd century BCE. [Link to Wikipedia article about tofu.]

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    Soy products like tofu are actually a more concentrated source of calcium than milk products are.

Not naturally, they're not. Soy products originate with much lower Calcium levels than does milk. The Calcium in soy milk, tofu, etc., nearly all comes from supplementation. Soy as a source of Calcium can just be thought of as an inefficient, diluted supplement with drawbacks. It is easier just to buy supplement pills, and avoid all the associated negatives soy products have (undesirable estrogen analogs, nutrient blockers, digestive disturbances, quick-rancidity oils, etc.).

You might want to read the post I made above earlier in this thread on how undesirable soy products are for human consumption.
    As I said, tofu and other soy products have more concentrated calcium than dairy products do. It's not added as a supplement, the calcium is part of the manufacturing process and aids in the coagulation. Most tofu has twice as much calcium as milk, weight-for-weight. It's not diluted or inefficient.

I totally disagree with you that soy products are harmful, and the literal billions of people who eat it every day would as well. Do you also advise against eating other legumes?

The tea-smoked firm tofu is especially nice if you have a Chinatown or other place to buy it. Yum!

Tater, I eat a lot of legumes, beans, peas, etc. They are healthy but I've read that they can deplete your zinc level. This might need to be addressed with other foods or supplements. I know from my personal experience that soy protein makes muscle gain difficult, so, healthy or not, it does behave differently in the human body.

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    Tater, I eat a lot of legumes, beans, peas, etc. They are healthy but I've read that they can deplete your zinc level. This might need to be addressed with other foods or supplements. I know from my personal experience that soy protein makes muscle gain difficult, so, healthy or not, it does behave differently in the human body.
    I have to admit my understanding is that legumes were a source of zinc.

The take-away is that you definitely need to eat a wide variety of food. The vast majority of vegetarians on the planet do not rely primarily or solely on soy products for their main source of protein. I eat about a pound of tofu every couple of weeks but there are hidden sources in a lot of processed foods.

Also, a multi-vitamin with minerals is not a bad idea.

Default Dealt with earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Soy is the basic ingredient in tofu, which has been consumed throughout Asia since at least the 2nd century BCE. [Link to Wikipedia article about tofu.]
    1) Asians don't actually eat all that much in the way of soy products by weight. I posted a link to quantitative data earlier. They used it more as a ground cover, then would plow it under.

2) They have historically tended to be poor and thus desperate a lot of the time. They've been known to eat everything from dog to bear gall bladders to bird vomit. Since Orientals have been known to eat those, too, pro-soy advocates who mention Oriental longtime consumption of soy would surely be in the market for those "foods", too?

3) Judging from the height relative to Americans of Orientals raised before WWII (after which Western diets began to influence them much more) and subsequently, where Orientals began growing much taller, their diet was not the ideal.

Footbinding for upper-class women was a tradition of centuries, too. Shall we institute that here as well, along with eating soy?

A mistake having longevity does not have much of a defense for continuing it, once the mistake is identified.

Default More on soy

The NPR show The Peoples Pharmacy did a show on soy a year-and-a-half ago. I didn't listen to it but found this link on their website. The guest, Dr. Kaayla Daniels, authored a book entitled The Whole Soy Story and maintains a website. I haven't read or seen the book but I imagine some of her sources are the same as those cited by Minnesota Smith.

One recent development is the American Heart Association withdrew its endorsement of soy's alleged benefits as a preventor of coronary disease.

Speaking of identifying mistakes, Smitty, you neglected to mention that the adoption of a more "Westernized" diet has resulted in an explosion of intestinal and stomach cancers in Japan; before the war, these ailments were essentially non-existent.

Your post above decrying the "primitive" Asian diet above neglected to mention this.

And as for the eating of dogs or bird vomit in the Orient, Smitty, there are parts of America where fried pig intestines are considered a delicacy; there are places in Denver where people happily pay fifteen bucks for a plate of bull testicles. Orientals aren't the only folks who eat unusual food Smitty, and it's a pity to see your unfortunate attitudes towards non-whites rear its head again.

Lastly, Smitty, recent research indicates that Americans are now getting SHORTER than Europeans, so maybe our diet isn't as great as you may think.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    there are places in Denver where people happily pay fifteen bucks for a plate of bull testicles.
    I don't know if I'd pay that much, but I tried them. They were tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    1) Asians don't actually eat all that much in the way of soy products by weight. I posted a link to quantitative data earlier. They used it more as a ground cover, then would plow it under.

2) They have historically tended to be poor and thus desperate a lot of the time. They've been known to eat everything from dog to bear gall bladders to bird vomit. Since Orientals have been known to eat those, too, pro-soy advocates who mention Oriental longtime consumption of soy would surely be in the market for those "foods", too?

3) Judging from the height relative to Americans of Orientals raised before WWII (after which Western diets began to influence them much more) and subsequently, where Orientals began growing much taller, their diet was not the ideal.

Footbinding for upper-class women was a tradition of centuries, too. Shall we institute that here as well, along with eating soy?

A mistake having longevity does not have much of a defense for continuing it, once the mistake is identified.
    Some of the foods you mention are delicacies and are certainly not eaten out of desperation. Poor people cannot afford bear gall bladders.

It is a logical fallacy to say that because the Chinese bound feet that one should not eat soy. They have nothing to do with each other. That's like saying one should not read books because Generalissimo Francisco Franco read books and he also was responsible for political executions.

Of course, you already know this.

Default Jack...

Speaking of identifying mistakes, Smitty, you neglected to mention that the adoption of a more "Westernized" diet has resulted in an explosion of intestinal and stomach cancers in Japan; before the war, these ailments were essentially non-existent.

Your post above decrying the "primitive" Asian diet above neglected to mention this.

And as for the eating of dogs or bird vomit in the Orient, Smitty, there are parts of America where fried pig intestines are considered a delicacy; there are places in Denver where people happily pay fifteen bucks for a plate of bull testicles. Orientals aren't the only folks who eat unusual food Smitty, and it's a pity to see your unfortunate attitudes towards non-whites rear its head again.

Lastly, Smitty, recent research indicates that Americans are now getting SHORTER than Europeans, so maybe our diet isn't as great as you may think.

1) There is much about the traditional Oriental diet that is superior to what most Americans eat. I never said otherwise.

2) Re my attitudes of whites vs. nonwhites; I just think there should be a part of the world where the former can exist.

3) Orientals getting taller as they cut back on their soy product consumption, and Americans getting shorter as they increase theirs. Seems like a pattern...

Note to Smity:

Please tell us the parts of the world where whites are not premitted to exist. This is a new concept to me; I've been all around the world and have run into white people pretty much everywhere I've been.

Or did you instead mean that there should be parts of the world where whites are permitted to exist all BY THEMSELVES?

Cuz if this is what you mean, you should say it.

By the way, I've been to a place that fits this description.

I dunno if you'd like Iceland, Smitty. It's colder than hell, it's dark for half the year, people tend to drink too much, and they serve too much fish.

But you're more interested in complexion than climate, it might be your kinda place.

Yeah, Iceland would be a good bet, or Clay County, Arkansas.

Default They ain't kiddin', either

Actually, I think Smitty would be happiest here:

www.whitecounty.net

Gotta love than name.........

Or try

www.whitecounty-il.gov/

Anybody see a pattern here?

Images

Northern Idaho.

He'd fit right in if they didn't shoot him.

Default Here's one for you, Jack...

Note to Smity:

Please tell us the parts of the world where whites are not premitted to exist. This is a new concept to me...
    http://www.white-history.com/hwrdet2.htm

Do look at ALL the pictures.

Would you feel welcome there, Jack? Going to move there? Any takers?

Instead of looking at the photos you've thoughtfully provided, Smitty, I'd feel a whole let beter about you if you didn't send us stuff from white supremacist hate sites, or quote their publications.

Have you checked out "Ostara Publications" who publishes this book, Smitty?
    Do you know what they're all about? Do you know about the history of Ostara magazine, or its publisher Lans von Liebenfels? Do you know what he was all about? Do you know that in 1938, his writings were banned because even Adolf Hitler found them offensive?

If you haven't checked into this, you should. But please, don't send us anything else from Ostara Publications, OK? What are you gonna do next, send us some quotes from Mel Gibson's dad?

Your arguments are not buttressed or ennobled when you use books and sources like this to support them.

Quite the opposite.

there are places in Denver where people happily pay fifteen bucks for a plate of bull testicles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I don't know if I'd pay that much, but I tried them. They were tasty.
    $15 is a bargain... look at this entree from the Road Kill Cafe menu...

Mooseballs
    Unquestionably the most tender cut
    of the moose, sauteed and graced
    with our own special sauce.
    72 hour notice and 25% deposit required.
    $1,425.00

See the menu for other interesting selections...

http://www.frivolity.com/teatime/Mis..._cafe_menu.txt

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++