WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tent Recommendation Teenager

My son (16) has been using an old Eureka Zeus 2 for the last few years. He loves the simplicity of setup with the single-wall tent. I'm looking to get him a new tent as the Zeus has seen it's better days. I've been looking at the Tarptent line and also a side entrance this time. Thinking about the Notch. Anyone have any better recommendations for a 16 year old? Tnx.

Why does age have anything to do with it?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Expectations on how well they will care for the gear.

As an example, due to the combination of high cost and thin material, I wouldn't buy a BA Copper Spur UL tent for one of my teenagers.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Expectations on how well they will care for the gear.

As an example, due to the combination of high cost and thin material, I wouldn't buy a BA Copper Spur UL tent for one of my teenagers.
    Get a Walmart outdoor research tent.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillyhanger View Post
    My son (16) has been using an old Eureka Zeus 2 for the last few years. He loves the simplicity of setup with the single-wall tent. I'm looking to get him a new tent as the Zeus has seen it's better days. I've been looking at the Tarptent line and also a side entrance this time. Thinking about the Notch. Anyone have any better recommendations for a 16 year old? Tnx.
    I have a Tarptent Rainbow, both a single and a double. Can't really imagine anything being quicker to set up, and definitely no complaints about its durability(zero issues in 3 years with no footprint). The condensation shield you can buy as an add on works great to stay dry in the single, not so much in the double as with 2 people it'll pool off and drip right about where you're laying. I've heard great things about the Notch as well.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

You don't have to go that cheap. There are plenty of good quality tents in the $100 - $200 price range that should be durable enough and still light enough to consider purchasing for a teenager.

For starters, I would recommend anything in the Eureka, Kelty, & Alps Mountaineering line ups that you don't consider too expensive or too heavy.

For the longest time, I considered getting a Kelty Salida 2 for my kids. I think the tent is too small to two adults, but I think usable by two small kids. As a solo tent, it has tons of space, and the weight is in line with may BA tents in their SL lineup. And actually, when I consider the price points for many of those BA SL tents, something like the Kelty Salida makes a lot of sense.

Unless you're needing a tent right now, I would suggest that you simply wait and watch for sales and find something at a really good price. The season is winding down and so you might start to see some clearance prices coming out. Black Friday and Cyber Monday are not too far away. But the best time I've found to look for camping gear if you're not too picky on exactly what brand/make/model of equipment is to watch the clearance sales between Christmas and Easter.

Because I thought it was a relative piece of information about the use/conditions the tent would experience. I guess I could have said something about a mid-experienced user who has a tendency to be a little rough with things, but I thought stating he is 16 was simpler.

Research/reviews that I have seen on them is they leak in rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Zea View Post
    I have a Tarptent Rainbow, both a single and a double. Can't really imagine anything being quicker to set up, and definitely no complaints about its durability(zero issues in 3 years with no footprint). The condensation shield you can buy as an add on works great to stay dry in the single, not so much in the double as with 2 people it'll pool off and drip right about where you're laying. I've heard great things about the Notch as well.
    Thanks. I'll give the Rainbow another look. Sliding the pole into the sleeve is what turned me towards the Notch instead of the Rainbow. I was concerned that in his enthusiasm he would damage the sleeve.

Journal Entries

A lot, from someone who instructs children and teens there are many differences to adults, durability and abuse is one such mentioned. Setting up in less then ideal places and in unique ways that can stress things is also something teens often do, more so collectively (peer pressure or rebellion doing things as they want without having the experience needed - this is part of the learning process and often destructive, though does produce results over time and $$$).

Also realize that for teens and children cost is not linked to the product, for the child there is no cost associated with it, so less tendency to protect and respect valuable stuff better rental quality, use hard and put away wet type of stuff.

Journal Entries

Default Tarptent Notch

Thanks. I'll give the Rainbow another look. Sliding the pole into the sleeve is what turned me towards the Notch instead of the Rainbow. I was concerned that in his enthusiasm he would damage the sleeve.
    I love my Tarptent Notch but agree with others that is not most durable. I have used it a couple years but realize you need to be a little more careful with it. It will be my tent of choice for my AT thruhike in 2018.

Have you considered a tarp? Cheap, works well, and hard to wreck (although my son managed to).
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

I like my Rainbow. Side entry. Lots of space. Easy to setup (the pole/sleeve takes a little finesse to remove). Good in a storm.

Recently bought a Protrail, so I have a Rainbow that I should sell. Lightly used. Let me know if you decide to go that route.

Make him pay for it, and he'll take care of it.

Double Rainbow. Also, the Kelty Salida tents are pretty great for their low cost.

I have the Notch. It survived some 60 plus nights set up in all sorts of conditions. I'm a newbie camper/tenter, and went without any kind of bonus groundcloth. Rolled it up muddy many nights, and even set it up in a field of raspberry canes one night. I didn't baby it, it's a bit mud stained, but it's still performing like new.

I liked the flexibility of it a lot. Can set it up with more or less ventilation. Can set it up to deal with slight slopes, and convex/concave ground. Can enter either side. Just point the foot into the wind, and you can set it up pretty much anywhere.

Images

I gave my Moment to a young friend, I guess he was 12 or 13 at the time. He's taken good care of it and still uses it. The Notch would be similar but uses trekking poles (or you need to buy poles).
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    A lot, from someone who instructs children and teens there are many differences to adults, durability and abuse is one such mentioned. Setting up in less then ideal places and in unique ways that can stress things is also something teens often do, more so collectively (peer pressure or rebellion doing things as they want without having the experience needed - this is part of the learning process and often destructive, though does produce results over time and $$$).

Also realize that for teens and children cost is not linked to the product, for the child there is no cost associated with it, so less tendency to protect and respect valuable stuff better rental quality, use hard and put away wet type of stuff.

Was on a group trip and some bleach spilled on one of the teen's tent in the trailer, someone didnt screw down the bottle tight. It was a nicer REI quarter dome I think. I suggested that when he get home he at least rinse it off so that the bleach doesnt do further damage. He just looked at me quite seriously and said, "Or just tell my parents I need a new tent" and walked away. Not how I was brought up, but hey, must be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallywagon View Post
    Double Rainbow. Also, the Kelty Salida tents are pretty great for their low cost.
    Going to also recommend taking a look at Kelty. A decent balance between weight, durability, and cost.

For the money ($140), hard to beat the REI Passage 1:

https://www.rei.com/product/110835/r...passage-1-tent

Its 3.5 lbs or so, but that's because it's pretty robust - freestanding, double-walled, with a more durable, forgiving fabric than a UL tent. It'll take some abuse. A good tent for the humidity and rain he's likely to see in our area -

++ New Posts ++