WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I would also suggest visiting one of the REI stores that are in your vicinity, of which there are a couple. Staff is always friendly and willing to help you with your needs. Have a look at several of their packs and have yourself sized for fitment. Spend ample time there, and also here on the forums. There are also some real helpful gear reviews from hikers on Youtube. Narrow down your gear as much as possible and try to trim the weight. I have seen some folks really struggling carrying way too much weight. You will have ample places (especially in the south) for mail drops to help with your food and med needs. After you get a good handle on what gear you really like, you may purchase it at REI...or keep an eye on the classifieds here on WB, or Craigslist (use www.SearchTempest.com), or eBay. I have saved HUNDREDS on gear this way .

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Good luck to you. A friend of mine is about 6 months into his heart transplant. Tough road.
    It was for me too! My best advice for your friend is to do exactly what the doctors tell me to do. Keep a positive attitude and do the rehab with as much vigor he can muster. It will pay off in the long run. My prayers are with him.

Journal Entries

I wish you much success on your journey. Yours is a truly inspiring story and it has touched me somewhere down deep. Please keep your progress in a public forum...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mtsman View Post
    Whiteblaze people are very genuine in their answers. They are not going to tell you one thing to make you feel better, they are going to tell you blunt truths that they have come to learn (usually the hard way) Keep that in mind when you ask for answers and if some of those answers are hard to swallow. They really are looking out for your best interests, even if you don't want to hear them sometimes.

That being said, Not every pack is for every body. These are the steps that I would take If I were in your situation.

First I would go to REI or a local, competent, outfitter near you. I would go and get your back measured professionally (if they try to charge you money, immediately walk out, never to return) and see how "long" your back is. The representative should be trying to fit the measuring device right on your iliac crest, if they are not, ask for someone else or immediately walk out, never to return. This will get your measurements. I would highly suggest not buying anything there at that time and come back to the comfort of your own home and start online shopping or supply your measurement to the WB people here. That will help narrow down packs that simply wont fit you or are not good for you.

The more open you are about your measurements here, back and waist at the iliac crest being two very important ones, the better the people here can help narrow down your choices to better fit you.

That simple step will save you several backpack iterations and pains in certain areas with certain packs (ask me how I know this )

YMMV HYOH
    That's good advice! I learned a long time ago not to be afraid to ask the question, but understand you may not like what you hear. That said, I figured by asking here I would get honest answers and good advice from those who went before me! In my working life I kept to the mantra "Work smart not hard, learn from other peoples mistakes."

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swonut View Post
    DO NOT UNDERSETIMATE THE ACCUMULATION OF WEIGHT! OUNCES MATTER - LOTS.

Take a careful look at this picture and think about how much capacity and capability is contained in the part you can see.

[img]AT2014190-XL.jpg[/img]
    I saw all the tents. Any Hangers?

Journal Entries

I borrowed this from the net! (stole is such a nasty word)burning without the diffuser2.jpgmy new camp stove2.jpg It weighs less than 30 grams! I use Heet as the fuel.

I would recommend that you trim down your gear, plan on bumping some of the medicine, etc to the next post office, and then do some shakedown hikes. You can do this, and I think it's great!, but make it easier on yourself and plan, plan, plan.

Regarding weight, there's no reason that your big 3 (pack, tent, bag) should weigh any more than, say, 10 lbs. If you are going solo you can get away with a very light tent, 3 lbs or so. Bags, go sub-kilo (2.2 lbs). Packs, under 3 lbs easy if you go with Gossamer, Six Moon Designs, Golite, etc (maybe not so much Gregory). If you sort out your big 3 you are half way there, weight wise. Best of luck.

Big 3 under 10 pounds is easy.
    Back in the Dark Ages, pre-Internet:
    1974 Jensen pack.
    1994 Garuda Atman 4 season tent.
    2014 Alpinlite sleeping bag.
    Total: 8 pounds 9 ounces.
    A new Lightheart Gear or TarpTent shelter would easily take 2 pounds off of that total for 3 season use.
    USPS Priority Mail packages will be forwarded free IF you don't take delivery.
    Suppose you're carrying 2-3 weeks of meds and have your next supply in a bounce box sent 1-2 post offices ahead. When you get close to the post office with the meds and don't need them, call the post office and ask for the package to be forwarded to the next post office up the trail. No charge.
    Good luck.

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    I would recommend that you trim down your gear, plan on bumping some of the medicine, etc to the next post office, and then do some shakedown hikes. You can do this, and I think it's great!, but make it easier on yourself and plan, plan, plan.

Regarding weight, there's no reason that your big 3 (pack, tent, bag) should weigh any more than, say, 10 lbs. If you are going solo you can get away with a very light tent, 3 lbs or so. Bags, go sub-kilo (2.2 lbs). Packs, under 3 lbs easy if you go with Gossamer, Six Moon Designs, Golite, etc (maybe not so much Gregory). If you sort out your big 3 you are half way there, weight wise. Best of luck.
    The plan is to bump some of the meds, but as I said earlier only having 7 days on hand is not an option I'm will to take. I plan on a hammock and fly made of 1.1oz Silpoly for the fly and 1.6 HyperD for the hammock. Just added this to my gear it weighs 88 grams with the batteries. head lamp.jpg

I'm sure some will pipe in on hammocks. I prefer a tent. When by myself, I carry a Big Agnes Fly Creek that weighs about 2 pounds. Found it on Craigslist for $135 (near mint condition).

Images

Gregory makes a good pack for carrying a lot of weight. I have one for when my wife hikes with me, and I pretty much double my base weight. I carry a ULA when I hike by myself, and I highly recommend ULA for you. Give them a call...they will work with you, and they guarantee satisfaction with their packs.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chiefduffy View Post
    Gregory makes a good pack for carrying a lot of weight. I have one for when my wife hikes with me, and I pretty much double my base weight. I carry a ULA when I hike by myself, and I highly recommend ULA for you. Give them a call...they will work with you, and they guarantee satisfaction with their packs.
    At this point i'm going to worry about the rest of the stuff before the pack. I will know what I need then. I did look at the ULA, I'm not sure how I feel about not having easy access to the contents of my pack. It may be i'm use to my ILBE. I think they are a bit pricey too. Do they have a rigid internal frame? Lastly, I'm old and the ground isn't kind to me anymore. My wife and I did the tent thing for a great many years, but had to switch to a popup camper. The hammock will be light and get me off the ground.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    USPS Priority Mail packages will be forwarded free IF you don't take delivery.
    Suppose you're carrying 2-3 weeks of meds and have your next supply in a bounce box sent 1-2 post offices ahead. When you get close to the post office with the meds and don't need them, call the post office and ask for the package to be forwarded to the next post office up the trail. No charge.
    That's good to know! I can live with 2-3 of meds, but not 7 days. AS you know anything can happen on the trail. Spilling my meds on the ground them getting wet or damp. (was thinking making daily vacuumed sealed pouches, if my sealer will do that) I prepare for the worse. In my case better to be safe then sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by NewHeart View Post
    That's good to know! I can live with 2-3 of meds, but not 7 days. AS you know anything can happen on the trail. Spilling my meds on the ground them getting wet or damp. (was thinking making daily vacuumed sealed pouches, if my sealer will do that) I prepare for the worse. In my case better to be safe then sorry!
    I'm the same way. I can make it several days without supplements which holistically substitute for prescription blood thinners, joint/neurological/ligament support, etc but after several days my blood can start to coagulate resulting in blood clots. Not good in strenuous LD moderately remote backpacking situations. This happened once, not hiking related, and resulted in clots that very fortunately went painfully to my spleen to dissolve rather than someplace like lodging in my heart, arteries, or brain! Hospitalized for nearly two wks on that episode.

FWIW, and I sense you already know this, the more the critical your meds the more you should not cut it so close in your daily supply. Consider, if you aren't already, bringing 3-4 extra days meds between carefully considered resupplies. Since, you're a Newbie LD hiker on these meds you should consider providing an even greater security window carrying extra days meds. Once you get a better feel for your pace you MIGHT consider a lesser security window.

One excellent trait of the AT are oodles of reliable potential bounce box or mailed box locations to choose from. I too almost only send Priority US mail 90 % being Priority Flat Rate Boxes w/ set prices. Send to US POs that have Sat hrs but also consider sending med supplies to hostels, hotels, outfitters, lodges, trail angels, etc. as you're less likely, at least initially, to be put in the situation where you're forced to wait until a Monday(open US PO hrs) to get your meds.

I love my hammocks. I have had a ton of them and for my back they are about all I can stand anymore. One thing I would caution you of is this. Stay away from bottom entry hammocks. The reason being is, if you are like me and like to sleep comfortable you will more than likely switch to a UQ (under quilt) either immediately or in the near future. Most UQ's are not designed to separate from the bottom and will severely limit your choices. Also, if you get a bottom entry you probably wont be able to get a double layer hammock which, if you arent going the UQ way you will need to get a pad. That double layer helps wonders in holding the pad in place so you dont get CBS (cold butt syndrome). Either way the bottom entry hammocks are not ideal if you want to future proof your gear (ask me how I know )
    I would also suggest a gathered end hammock over anything else as they typically (not always) are lighter and easier to setup. As an added bonus you can fundamentally change the way you lay in them in several different ways (especially asym hammocks). We can get more into that later if you need.

Images

I have been hammock hiking for years. I recommend the Warbonnet Blackbird. I also have a Sheltowee, which is slightly heavier but has an integrated down underquilt and more room.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chiefduffy View Post
    I have been hammock hiking for years. I recommend the Warbonnet Blackbird. I also have a Sheltowee, which is slightly heavier but has an integrated down underquilt and more room.
    I also joined HF and have bee read a lot of their stuff Shug is a blast and a fountain of knowledge. I plan on making my own hammock, although Dutch just posted his new prototype that has drawn my interested. I was going with the SL and making a bivy sac out of ProDex. It's similar to Reflectix, but with a higher R-value, that should take care of any CBS. The fly is going ti be made from 1.1oz silpoly and bug net from .5oz nano Noseeum. To tell the truth I saw an ENO system at Basspro and that is how all this started. I have an old canvas Coleman 40* bag that I still use and a fleece liner for those colder nights. I know that is not going to work for this. I need some suggestions. Keep in mind SSI keeps the wallet on the thin side.

I must thank all of you for all the good advice and insight. Hopefully I will meet you on the trail. OH! CedarKey recommended my trail name "TinMan". What do you think?

Journal Entries

Looking at BD treking poles: Do I go with the Alpine with cork grips or the Pro Shock with rubber grips?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I'm the same way. I can make it several days without supplements which holistically substitute for prescription blood thinners, joint/neurological/ligament support, etc but after several days my blood can start to coagulate resulting in blood clots. Not good in strenuous LD moderately remote backpacking situations. This happened once, not hiking related, and resulted in clots that very fortunately went painfully to my spleen to dissolve rather than someplace like lodging in my heart, arteries, or brain! Hospitalized for nearly two wks on that episode.

FWIW, and I sense you already know this, the more the critical your meds the more you should not cut it so close in your daily supply. Consider, if you aren't already, bringing 3-4 extra days meds between carefully considered resupplies. Since, you're a Newbie LD hiker on these meds you should consider providing an even greater security window carrying extra days meds. Once you get a better feel for your pace you MIGHT consider a lesser security window.

One excellent trait of the AT are oodles of reliable potential bounce box or mailed box locations to choose from. I too almost only send Priority US mail 90 % being Priority Flat Rate Boxes w/ set prices. Send to US POs that have Sat hrs but also consider sending med supplies to hostels, hotels, outfitters, lodges, trail angels, etc. as you're less likely, at least initially, to be put in the situation where you're forced to wait until a Monday(open US PO hrs) to get your meds.
    Also, sometimes resupplies go missing or can't be picked up. that also would need to be factored in depending on how critical the medications are for you. Different trail, different circumstance but I had three straight resupplies go missing on the PCT. One I got back several months later.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Also, sometimes resupplies go missing or can't be picked up. that also would need to be factored in depending on how critical the medications are for you. Different trail, different circumstance but I had three straight resupplies go missing on the PCT. One I got back several months later.
    Let's put it this way I currently take 19 pills in the morning alone. Another 21 throughout the day. Sucks, but I'm alive and kickin'

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++