WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Foresight View Post
    Can I be a Section Hiker if the real reason I am there is to hike the trail in sections until I've completed all of it?

I think there should be a naming convention in place as it distinguishes the goal immediately for those hearing it....

Thru-Hiker: I want to do it all in one effort.
    Section Hiker: I want to do it all by section.
    Hiker: I'm just out here reflect on being out here and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.
    But what if I want to hike all of it except for GSMNP because I want to hike with my dog? Am I still a section hiker even though I don't want to hike the whole thing?

What if I want to do it all in one effort but I fail and have to go back to finish it up, am I still a thru hiker? How long can I wait to get back on the trail before I become a section hiker?

What If I am just out there for the fun of it enjoying myself and I accidentally finish the whole trail? Am I still a hiker?

How many zeros before a thru hiker becomes a section hiker or is it intent based? Then again if I intend to be a thru hiker and take a couple hundred zeros every time I stop hiking, am I still a thru, after all I intended on hiking the whole thing in one effort.

My point is I don't see why we need to attach names to folks. Let folks call themselves whatever they want.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    This post? None whatsoever. It was a worthless attempt to belittle others for having a discussion... On a discussion board.

(Also you spelled 'difference' incorrectly. )
    HEY HEY- MDSection12 you speak the TRUTH!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Well NOW you're just bragging! .............(I'm of course referring to the AT map)
    Maybe I have my priorities messed up, but right now is means more to me. Plus when I see that map it reminds me of what I have done, and still have to do.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Interesting analogy. I have three degrees (BS, MBA, PhD) along with professional certifications, and I do not know where any of them are right now. But when I finish the AT I will probably get that ATC certificate, frame it, and hang it on the wall. Right now I have my AT map up in my office with a tack for where I currently am.
    Do you think the ATC would issue me a weekend warrior certificate...with a raised seal, and those little swirly things at the bottom. I'd hang it proudly.

Maybe I have my priorities messed up, but right now is means more to me. Plus when I see that map it reminds me of what I have done, and still have to do.
    I commend you Astro, you deserve it, no doubt.

I'm glad this got bumped. I was actually wondering this today, coincidentally... I'm out at least once a month for an overnight, but more often it's two or three overnights and a multi-day trip each month. I generally hike close to home, so I repeat sections often, though I'm always looking to do a new section as well. I'd like to someday complete the trail, in some fashion, but I can't say I 'plan to.' I guess I'll stop calling myself a section hiker.

In reality I know what I am; a backpacker. The AT itself holds no special lure for me, in fact places like Dolly Sods are much more my style... The AT is just the closest and easiest place to get my fix. My 'dreams' for hiking don't involve six months on the AT, they're more like ten days in the Andes or a week in Yosemite.

It actually helps to discuss these terms, regardless of their arbitrary nature. We all have different aspirations in hiking and they shape the way we discuss the hobby... Best to make them clear at the outset.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    But what if I want to hike all of it except for GSMNP because I want to hike with my dog? Am I still a section hiker even though I don't want to hike the whole thing?

What if I want to do it all in one effort but I fail and have to go back to finish it up, am I still a thru hiker? How long can I wait to get back on the trail before I become a section hiker?

What If I am just out there for the fun of it enjoying myself and I accidentally finish the whole trail? Am I still a hiker?

How many zeros before a thru hiker becomes a section hiker or is it intent based? Then again if I intend to be a thru hiker and take a couple hundred zeros every time I stop hiking, am I still a thru, after all I intended on hiking the whole thing in one effort.

My point is I don't see why we need to attach names to folks. Let folks call themselves whatever they want.
    No
    No
    Indefinite
    Yes
    Indefinite
    No

I must protest questions 3, 5, and 6. I was told there would be no math.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Do you think the ATC would issue me a weekend warrior certificate...with a raised seal, and those little swirly things at the bottom. I'd hang it proudly.
    RS, I believe they probably should have some kind of special Posting Hall of Fame, or Posting Triple Crown award for you!
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Ok...I get the skewed priority thing. I have a downloaded 2014 ALDHA Companion with elevation profiles of the entire trail. Those maps are pricey, so Snacktime and I are printing each one, cutting them out and pasting them together to make one complete elevation chart. We now have a map that is 1 1/2 times the length of my house....and we're only up to PA. It may run $20 in ink and paper, and many, many hours of labor, BUT LOOK WHAT WE HAVE!!!!! WOOHOO!

Back to the "name game": We're not thru's. We're maybe Sectioners. We ARE enthusiasts.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    HEY HEY- MDSection12 you speak the TRUTH!
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

RS, I believe they probably should have some kind of special Posting Hall of Fame, or Posting Triple Crown award for you!
    I've merely posted on the shoulders of great posters.

I'm glad this got bumped. I was actually wondering this today, coincidentally... I'm out at least once a month for an overnight, but more often it's two or three overnights and a multi-day trip each month. I generally hike close to home, so I repeat sections often, though I'm always looking to do a new section as well. I'd like to someday complete the trail, in some fashion, but I can't say I 'plan to.' I guess I'll stop calling myself a section hiker.

In reality I know what I am; a backpacker. The AT itself holds no special lure for me, in fact places like Dolly Sods are much more my style... The AT is just the closest and easiest place to get my fix. My 'dreams' for hiking don't involve six months on the AT, they're more like ten days in the Andes or a week in Yosemite.

It actually helps to discuss these terms, regardless of their arbitrary nature. We all have different aspirations in hiking and they shape the way we discuss the hobby... Best to make them clear at the outset.
    Blasphemy!!! I guess we should get our terms straight! Should you change your username now?? NOOO!!!!!!!

I'm with Astro on liking to see that map get filled in. We are on a mission!

We ARE enthusiasts.
    Me too. Even if only in the most literal sense. I am alway enthused when I'm out on 'the trail.'

Images

I must protest questions 3, 5, and 6. I was told there would be no math.
    Sorry, it's get even time. My teachers didn't buy that excuse when I tried it, so by proxy you get no slack.

So here is the extra credit question: If you only hike during the day and stay at hotels and hostels at night are you a hiker or a day hiker, and then if you finish the trail all in one year are you then a "thru day hiker"?

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Blasphemy!!! I guess we should get our terms straight! Should you change your username now?? NO!!!!!!
    I know it's borderline heresy. The AT is my trail currently, but I can't say that will always be the case. I'm particularly jealous of Mags' escape to the Rockies... Working on that now.

That's too funny, I wondered the same thing about the username.

This brings to mind Another Kevin and his claim to be a "Clueless Weekender". I cry SHENANIGANS! A weekender he may be, but Clueless? NOT HARDLY!!!

This brings to mind Another Kevin and his claim to be a "Clueless Weekender". I cry SHENANIGANS! A weekender he may be, but Clueless? NOT HARDLY!!!
    I've used that myself a number of times. I just like giving people permission to dismiss me right up front... It saves us both some time.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Sorry, it's get even time. My teachers didn't buy that excuse when I tried it, so by proxy you get no slack.

So here is the extra credit question: If you only hike during the day and stay at hotels and hostels at night are you a hiker or a day hiker, and then if you finish the trail all in one year are you then a "thru day hiker"?
    Interesting question, as I have personal experience of this. When Snacktime and I did our PA "section" from Pen Mar to Pine Grove Furnace St Pk, our plan was to take about a week and stay in a variety of shelters. When I contacted Junker for shuttle information, he suggested another plan, and we then learned the wonders of slack-packing. We spent 5 wonderful days hiking greater distances sans packs, and 5 wonderful nights in Junkers Bunker. It was great, and at the end we both felt quite accomplished.

Then someone told us it wasn't a section hike so much as it was a series of day hikes. For some ridiculous reason that made me feel deflated. (I'm over it....it was one of our best hikes, dammit).

So, apparently..... if you get off the trail at night.....it was a day hike.
    If you don't carry a pack....it was a day hike.
    If you enjoyed yourself immensely...it was a GREAT hike.

In answer to your question.....I've got nothing.

I've used that myself a number of times. I just like giving people permission to dismiss me right up front... It saves us both some time.
    Unforntatly the tone that some do it with is no where near as honest as Keven's.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Unforntatly the tone that some do it with is no where near as honest as Keven's.
    When I say it I'm being totally honest!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++