WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Edible Plants Growing Along Trail

I wanted to know what species of edible plants, if any grew along the trail to be eaten from Pen Mar, PA to Harper's Ferry WV. Thanks for the input.

This really doesn't answer your question but you can start with: http://www.eattheweeds.com/www.EatTh...Weeds.com.html
    I dove into this subject and even took a class at the local nature center. There are many edible plants and medicinal plants growing all around us. There is very interesting and empowering information out there on the web. HOWEVER, be happy to grab a handful of raspberries as you hike. I guess what I'm trying to say is that hiking and foraging don't mix very well. For me, it takes way too much time to gather and prepare edible plants.
    Oh jeez! are we near the crest yet?

OOPS! I meant to throw this one in. Here is another site to find some answers: http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/ He seems a little weird, but knows his stuff.
    Oh jeez! are we near the crest yet?

That's only about 40 miles, aye?
    Never hiked it in August or Sept but that should be prime time for raspberries, blackberries, wild apples, wild cherries, and maybe pears. But you may have to go off trail to find them.
    I know there's a few soda machines on the trail in that section. Enjoy!

Images

Most raspberries and blackberries ripen in late spring or early summer.

You may find paw paws in September.

Images

Paw paws are something I want to learn to reliably identify. Haven't had a chance to try 'em, but have heard folks rave about them.

Images

Pawpaws vary considerably in their size/weight and also the color and flavor of their flesh. Seedlings (potted) are available on a limited basis from some nurseries by mail order.

Do your research before buying and purchase only recommended cultivars. You can Google all the information you'll need. Source some seedlings and plant them next spring.

Images

Didn't realize you could propogate them. Ever done that, and if so how tough were they to get going?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Paw paws vary considerably in size, flavor and color of their flesh. They are available on a limited basis from some nurseries by mail order.

Do your research before buying and purchase only recommended cultivars. You can Google all the information you need. Source some seedlings and plant them next spring.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/food/200...aw0918fnp2.asp i have never seen these. where would u look?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Default Pawpaw thread drift

This post is my final contribution to pawpaw thread drift and my solution to it. I don't ever think I found pawpaws objectionable before and hope I never do again.

Click on Mad about pawpaws! to read a thread with a shorter name, but the same subject matter. Unfortunately, I wasn't feeling as nearly as creative when I named it.

Three plants available to me;Dandelions, Pine nuts, and the Daisey's around my neighbors mail box,...he love's me, he loves me not, he lov.........

Quote Originally Posted by Coogen View Post
    I wanted to know what species of edible plants, if any grew along the trail to be eaten from Pen Mar, PA to Harper's Ferry WV. Thanks for the input.
    cool that knowledge to me was a great changing point in my life and the way i viewed the things around me .research lambs quarter ,perslain,cattails,mustard,dandelion,curly dock,pokeweed,chickweed,wood nettle.dont listen to a dumb a.. like me verify everything before you eat it.know it before you use it and dont harvest from along roads or places of possible pollution.this is a small list to whats out there but it is a start .hope it helps ,and oh yeah dont forget you have green in your teeth when you smile at the trail candy lol.

also learn jewel weed it a handy plant dont eat it but crush the stem in your hand use the juice to cure poison ivy. first sign of contact rub juice on itch and a little later you wont even remember it .it also helps with skin rashes ,athletes foot ,and believe it or not hemoroids also.if you get a nettle rash split the skin on the stem and rub the inner juice on burn it goes away.glad someone asked something i knew alot about so i could give back a little for all ive taken from you all.happy munching

Images

Wild onions or Ramps I hear alot about down south -seems plenty of hikers like them.. I'm a big fan of mushrooms and when you see old apple trees or ash trees look for the Mighty Morel mushrooms early in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    http://www.post-gazette.com/food/200...aw0918fnp2.asp i have never seen these. where would u look?
    hi look along streams and creeks in full sun or growing under other trees on the outer drip line of branches .can get up to twenty feet tall,but most will be shorter.look for dark green leaves with fruit growing on the ends of branches usually in clusters of 5.they taste like the love child of a bannana and a mellon with a custard pie texture grows midwest and east coast from P A south they bare a dandy treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Didn't realize you could propogate them. Ever done that, and if so how tough were they to get going?
    they do not transplant well at all they are starting to grow them domesticly.the flowers are so ugly and stinky that bees wont polinate them.so alot of growers put dead carcases by the plants so the flies will pollinate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbear View Post
    cool that knowledge to me was a great changing point in my life and the way i viewed the things around me .research lambs quarter ,perslain,cattails,mustard,dandelion,curly dock,pokeweed,chickweed,wood nettle.dont listen to a dumb a.. like me verify everything before you eat it.know it before you use it and dont harvest from along roads or places of possible pollution.this is a small list to whats out there but it is a start .hope it helps ,and oh yeah dont forget you have green in your teeth when you smile at the trail candy lol.
    Thaks Hearbear, trying to learn a little more about this subject, as my knowledge is very limited.

As Hearbear says and probably the best advise on this subject is to do your own verification, one other plant/tree I just read about is the Willow tree, in the soft under bark, it has the same active ingredient as Aspirin, Salicylic acid.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Paw paws are something I want to learn to reliably identify. Haven't had a chance to try 'em, but have heard folks rave about them.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asimina_triloba
    800px-Asimina_triloba3.jpg
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

UUUUHHHH Phillys suck this year ...RS could they do any worse.....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    UUUUHHHH Phillys suck this year ...RS could they do any worse.....
    Who were you playin the 'Mets', cause I just heard the wife yell "ohYeah the Mets win", sorry for your loss,he he he haw haw, he he he haw haw.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++