WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks for the advice ya'll! Indeed, the lightweight running socks fit better than the crew and I think they'll work for me. I wore them to the gym yesterday and they are so comfortable, my toes feel like they have more room than they do with traditional socks. It's very surprising, I thought toe socks would be weird and uncomfortable.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    ... I thought toe socks would be weird and uncomfortable.
    They ARE weird-looking, especially if you put them on with long pants. Looks like you have a hand attached to your leg.

Images

Two thoughts: First, the best foot/lower leg training for any long hike is simply lots and lots of walking, meaning get the skin on those feet toughened up. Wouldn't it be nice to never, ever have to worry about blisters? Easy to do if you just walk and walk and walk, of course wearing the footwear you'll be using on your AT quest. Shoot for 30-40 miles a week, including one long walk/hike (15+ miles). We've found relatively flat terrain works the feet more than hilly terrain. Every year, starting in late January a group of us meets once a week after work at a local Bar and Grill and head out on a 14-20 mile walk (start with 14, work up to 20), ending back at the B&G for burgers and beers. We have a blast, walking local footpaths at night doing this, catching up, etc, ending at midnight sometimes. Keep it fun and walk!

But the single most important thing for myself is to clean my feet once a day and air them out thoroughly at night. When I hiked the AT in 2013, having mostly hiked in the dry west for decades, I didn't follow this routine and promptly developed all sort of foot problems related to the feet being wet, like athletes foot and probably something worse (mild trench foot?).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++