WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What rain pants

Default What rain pants

One of my sons is in need of a good pair of rain pants to keep him dry walking to class. Personally I have had good luck w/my Marmot Precip pants, however when I went to purchase them I was amazed at the number of negative reviews. These pants have served me well; what is your take on them.

I had a pair for a while and they worked fine. I recently changed them out for Golite Reed Pants because they were lighter, but the the precips worked fine. Marmot's Precip technology doesn't breathe all that well so it isn't as good for jackets, but for pants, where you don't need as much breathability they are fine.

There was a problem with Marmot's Precip stuff de-laminating prematurely, but they were supposed to fix that in newer models and I never had any problems with mine.

I bought a pair of walmart workout pants cut the liner out of them and gave them a coate of DWR. They have a zipper at the cuff to get over your shoes easy and pack up small. To get to class a hightek option is overkill. Even unbreathable polyethylene would work for a walk to class.

I have a pair of north face goretex pants and only take them as camp pants/ backup in severe winter conditions. For hiking rainpants just do not breath enough. IMO

I too am drawn to the Marmot Precip pants.

Images

ULA rain skirt

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

For just walking to school in the rain, pretty much anything will work. I'd find an inexpensive pair of coated nylon rain pants from Walmart or Lands End. Just remember that he probably will run out of the house without any sort of rain gear or a coat in a few years.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

columbia makes a reallly good sturdy pair of rain pants Ive had mine for like 8 yrs and jsut this summer the seam started to tear a little their called Shelter Cove Pants. They are not breathable at all but keep every ounce of rain out. Or he could just wear a kilt and then his pants would never get wet
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

Precip laminate is about the least durable and also not very breathable.

I have Cabela's Rainy River GTX PacLite pants. Got 'em a few years back for $79. Now they're $99. and still a bargain, as is the parka at the same price.

I like rain chaps, but then, I do not wear a short jacket.

Rain chaps work well with a Packa or a poncho.

The PU-coated, ripstop nylon Exped Rain Chaps are durable.

I like sil nylon Liberty Mountain Ultralight Full Moon Chaps.

Used with the Packa, or poncho, you have ventilation available.

Nothing that's waterproof breathes very well.
    eVent is supposed to be better than Gore-tex. I have an eVent jacket and it appears to be slightly LESS DAMP inside than my old Sierra Designs Gore-tex parka, and markedly less damp than a PacLite jacket that I owned for two days and returned to REI because it had a sheet of condensed sweat inside it from moderate hiking on a 50 degree drizzly day.
    Whatever you get for rain pants (really not necessary except in cold weather), make sure they have full side zips. That's your only hope of ventilation.
    Again - waterproof is NOT breathable! (not breathable enough that you'd be able to tell, anyway).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

This thread is probally dead due to the start date but if this kid is going to College or High School he needs to be stylin! So the ULA skirt is a winner!!!!!!!! Great conversation piece anyway.

It's probably relevant to other hikers even though the OP was obviously hyping his own gear.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I'm thinking about making myself a skirt. If it was just for rain, I wouldn't bother, but I can also use it for doing ALL my laundry....as long as I don't make it out of cuban fiber.

Years ago, I had a pair of Campmor rain pants. Full zip, wore them for winter, snow stuff, etc. They were goretex, and had coated nylon knees and seat. If I wore over long pants, then removed them later, the pants would be visibly wet exactly where the coated nylon reinforcements were, and dry elsewhere. You could see precisely where the knee patches covered. The goretex laminates do work.

I currently use goretex (now marmot) pants most trips. Most times, it's the only long pants I carry. Usually don't bother with rain pants in summer.

Default Cabela's

Take a look at Cabela's Rainy River Gore-Tex PacLite pants. I like mine, especially for the price. But the design and quality is very good as well.

I have both parka and pants. Cabela's is the only PacLite rainwear maker I know of that has Tall sizes.

Eric

Golite or Sierra Design have lighter rain pants than most of the other brands. They are really brief design, removed all zips to keep in low weight. The fabric for the lightest one of golite is pertex, tough enough for nomal hiking.

I've had good luck with my Precip pants, but my Precip jacket developed the same delam problem in back of the neck. They offered to replace it under warranty or allow me a credit against another model. I opted for the Super Mica, which has their proprietary MemBrain technology. I might have moved to another brand, but I was stuck with them...

Quote Originally Posted by hpowers View Post
    One of my sons is in need of a good pair of rain pants to keep him dry walking to class. Personally I have had good luck w/my Marmot Precip pants, however when I went to purchase them I was amazed at the number of negative reviews. These pants have served me well; what is your take on them.
    They don't breathe enough to prevent a sweaty leg/body union area (how could I put that nicely?? ).
    I wear breathable pants in rainy weather if it's below 55 degrees or so (warmer if it's windy). The nylon gets wet, but it doesn't feel nearly as cold as wearing shorts since the nylon also blocks much of the wind. I dry them whenever I can, wringing them out at night, hanging them under my tarp and hoping they won't be too wet the next morning when I have to put them back on.

Oops! I already weighed in on this. Please ignore any future babble from me .

I use rain chaps for "adequate ventilation".

Exped rain chaps or Equinox Ultralight Full Moon Chaps are high quality.

Exped Chaps has the edge on wear for brushcrashing.

The links I had posted no longer work: google.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++