WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Default Best muscle/body pain meds for hiking?

So, I'm packing my first aid kit for my thru, and it has most of the normal stuff, but I was wondering, what do you all bring for meds? (Especially for muscle/body aches) I've heard Aleve and Excedrin, what is best? So far, I've just carried Motrin or shoprite Ibuprofin. And yes, I know not to take meds often because it'll only mask the pain and create further injuries.

PS- Please note, this is in the straightforward forum!
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Excedrin has caffeine in it, just an fyi.

I take ibuprofen, acetaminophen and 1-2 tramadols.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Excedrin has caffeine in it, just an fyi.

I take both ibuprofen and aceitominophen and 1-2 tramadols.
    excedrin makes a PM version which lacks caffeine and does have a sleepy ingredient. just an fyi.

Images

That's what I was worried about for the Excedrin- I considered bringing it for the morning and if I need something later in the day, taking something else, but I'm not a fan of taking two meds in one day, especially if there's something that will work fine for morning and evening.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

An Ultrum (Tramadol) and a Tylonol PM or two
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    excedrin makes a PM version which lacks caffeine and does have a sleepy ingredient. just an fyi.
    What's the pain medication base and how good is the sleep medicine?
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Images

Can someone tell me what is safe to take with which? (I mean, if I take Ibuprofin and and Aleve, will my head explode?) I know I could check all the ingredient lists against the others, but I tried in the grocery store the other day, and my eyes started to glaze over, I figured this'd be faster.

Gator- do you take all three together?

Images

I generally go with ibuprofen. I will have a little container of it with me on my thru.
    AT 2010 Feb26-Aug14
    'Crash Course'

How good does a female athlete have to be before we just call her an athlete? ~Author Unknown

Images

I do too, but I'd like something that is know for muscle pain. (And different meds work for different people in different ways- I stopped taking Tylenol ages ago because it didn't do anything, so I thought maybe there's something out there that'll work for me better than Ibuprofin...)

I just carry a baggie of Ibuprofen. I have never actually taken pain medicine while hiking. I am not an athlete either; i usually show up as one of the out of shape guys, just like the folks that swallow handfuls of pills every night. You can hike day after day without any meds if have the correct pace for your body's current abilities.

Now I have added some leftover steroids from when I got sick to this years kit for if things really hit the fan. Hopefully they never have to be used either.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    I do too, but I'd like something that is know for muscle pain. (And different meds work for different people in different ways- I stopped taking Tylenol ages ago because it didn't do anything, so I thought maybe there's something out there that'll work for me better than Ibuprofin...)
    Muscle pain only gets bad for me if I sit around being fat and happy in town too long and my legs tighten up too much. Some good stretching takes care of that. If you want to buy something for it though get some Icy Hot. Really the best answer to muscle pain is shorter days and/or more stretching.

Can someone tell me what is safe to take with which? (I mean, if I take Ibuprofin and and Aleve, will my head explode?) I know I could check all the ingredient lists against the others, but I tried in the grocery store the other day, and my eyes started to glaze over, I figured this'd be faster.

Gator- do you take all three together?
    No.

My doc advised me up to 4 ibuprofen (800 mg total) every 6 hours and 2 of the acetaminophen (500 mg each) every 6 hours if needed. I was waiting to get a root canal. That's real hard on your stomach though. Tramadol is prescription pain medication. I believe the name brand Tramadol comes with acetaminophen as part of the pill and the generics (i thnk it is called ultram) don't. The acetominophen I think is an amplifier. So if you have the generic, you can add the acetaminophen. Please consult with your doctor and the pharmacist though as well. I wasn't able to get the root canal quickly and my stomach was very tore up. I would take the ibu. and acet. togetherif I had to walk out injured (and have done so).
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

I read in this book...

http://www.amazon.ca/Runners-World-B.../dp/1605298611
    Runner's World The Runner's Body: How the Latest Exercise Science Can Help You Run Stronger, Longer, and Faster

... It says that you shouldn't take stuff like ibuprofin during or after exercise unless you have really done something serious, because they interfere with the bodies natural processes of getting stronger in response to exercise.

In short, anti-inflamatories and pain killers are counterproductive,
    but then again so is excessive inflamation and stuff like back spasms.

A better way to go would be to eat real food, and get adequate rest, in response to soreness.
    Save the ibuprofin for when you really overdo something, like put your back out.

Moderate soreness in response to exercise is your friend. Just eat real food and get some extra rest.
    Real foods with lots of anti-oxidants might help alot though. Stuff like raisins and currants and sardines.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    No.

My doc advised me up to 4 ibuprofen (800 mg total) every 6 hours and 2 of the acetaminophen (500 mg each) every 6 hours if needed. I was waiting to get a root canal. That's real hard on your stomach though. Tramadol is prescription pain medication. I believe the name brand Tramadol comes with acetaminophen as part of the pill and the generics (i thnk it is called ultram) don't. The acetominophen I think is an amplifier. So if you have the generic, you can add the acetaminophen. Please consult with your doctor and the pharmacist though as well. I wasn't able to get the root canal quickly and my stomach was very tore up. I would take the ibu. and acet. togetherif I had to walk out injured (and have done so).
    Okay, you're going to think I am the stupidist person on earth. I have an appointment with my doc next monday, and I never even considered asking her what I should take. Wow. And she'd definitely know. I can't believe myself.

Okay, you're going to think I am the stupidist person on earth. I have an appointment with my doc next monday, and I never even considered asking her what I should take. Wow. And she'd definitely know. I can't believe myself.
    Nah, I forget things to ask too. It helps to have it written down. Normal checkups the doc usually asks questions but if you are there for something specific they don't always prompt.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Images

True, thanks everyone for your input!

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I'm late to the party, but my vote is Vitamin I (generic)
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Images

I'll be taking fish oil and curcumin.

Images

I'm still trying to figure out if there's any dif. between generic and say, advil... I suppose not.

I'm still trying to figure out if there's any dif. between generic and say, advil... I suppose not.
    Usually a couple of dollars.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++