WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Default Minors hiking alone - legal aspects

I know hikers are required to sign a a release form, but can someone under the age of 18 use the ferry service, or would I need to get parental permission before hand because I am under 18.

Thanks,
    Kirby

Kirby:

I'd E-Mail Steve Longley the Ferryman. He's a member here so you could easily send him a Private message. His Whiteblaze User Name is "Ferryman".

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

I doubt there's any restrictions; the ferry service is there to keep everyone safe, not just the 18-and-over crowd. Do contact Steve to see what his policy (if any) has been in the past, but the next ferry service may not have the same policy.
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST
    Uncle Silly VA->VT '05, VT->ME '07, VA->GA ??

Images

That's a good question, Kirby. A release form is, technically, a legal document, and most of the time, you have to be over the age of 18 to execute a legal document. But there's plenty of time left to work past this, if it's a problem. Jack's right - contact Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    I know hikers are required to sign a a release form, but can someone under the age of 18 use the ferry service, or would I need to get parental permission before hand because I am under 18.

Thanks,
    Kirby
    give fording a shot

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    give fording a shot
    Tsk tsk tsk. It's not safe for everyone. Very questionable advice, especially if you don't have 30+ years of hiking under your belt. There are plenty of challenging fords as it is, not necessary to recoomend that where there has been at least one fording fatality.

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Tsk tsk tsk. It's not safe for everyone. Very questionable advice, especially if you don't have 30+ years of hiking under your belt. There are plenty of challenging fords as it is, not necessary to recoomend that where there has been at least one fording fatality.
    very questionable sending a 16 year old boy out for 5 months with people mommy and daddy don't know. if the boy chose the CDT he would be doing all kinds of questionable stuff. i'm not ADVISING the boy to ford. i'm SUUGGESTING it as an option. if the boy chooses to ford he should do it before 7 AM. The woman that drowned over 20 years ago attempted to ford late in the day when it would have been foolish to attempt it.
    and if the kennebec is such a killer, the ATC, USFS, and the state of MAINE should build a bridge. the foot bridge over the James River in Va. did not need to be built. for years we walked over an existing bridge.
    Last edited by Lone Wolf; 10-21-2007 at 20:11.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Not taking a position this post on fording the Kennebec, except to say it isn't for everyone.

I've read several posts by Kirby on WB on a number of topics, and he comes across, at least on the internet, as wise beyond his years. A lot more maturity than some of us three times his age show. I wouldn't worry too much about this particular 16-year-old doing the AT.

Sorry Wolf. Didn't know this would lead to others attacking you and I sure didn't mean to regardless of my thoughts on the subject which are contrary to yours. That would never lead to me insulting you and I'm sorry that others are headed in that direction. I'd ford the Kennebec if you were there to judge the flow, I just wouldn't openly suggest it to everyone.
    Peace

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Excellent question, Kirby. I hope Ferryman will answer in the thread as you aren't the only person under 18 considering a thru-hike.

As for speculation about Kirby's abilities based on his age, determining that is the responsibility of his parents - the people who know him best and love him more than anyone here. If they feel he is ready, the rest of you need to respect that.

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Sorry Wolf. Didn't know this would lead to others attacking you and I sure didn't mean to regardless of my thoughts on the subject which are contrary to yours. That would never lead to me insulting you and I'm sorry that others are headed in that direction. I'd ford the Kennebec if you were there to judge the flow, I just wouldn't openly suggest it to everyone.
    Peace
    you're fine. i bring attacks on myself. i've been getting PMs all week from folks who i've pissed off. i really don't mean to. i'm not suggesting kirby fords, just to look at it as an option. when and if he gets there, he'll do what he wants to do. this ain't an age thing.

Is this where the party is tonight?
    WALK ON

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    it's made you a lonely troll.
    You know, L. Wolf, you seemed like a decent fellow in person.

Images

Break it up, it ain't about you too, it is about the minor signing a legal release to cross the ferry.

Here is an idea. Get the ferrymen to mail you a copy and get the parent's signature on it ahead of time and then mail it back so he has it on file for when you do show up.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Break it up, it ain't about you too, it is about the minor signing a legal release to cross the ferry.

Here is an idea. Get the ferrymen to mail you a copy and get the parent's signature on it ahead of time and then mail it back so he has it on file for when you do show up.
    Ask him [Ferryman] if it needs to be notarized too.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    You know, L. Wolf, you seemed like a decent fellow in person.
    when did we meet?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Ask him [Ferryman] if it needs to be notarized too.
    At least witnessed I would assume.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I don't think there's an age restriction. I took the canoe ride with my nephew from Hawaii, who was about 16 at the time. BTW, I don't recall any release forms....

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post

Thanks,
    Kirby
    call the ATC. ask for Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Is this where the party is tonight?
    Apparently, but you have to bring your editing pencil according to what I'm not reading.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++