WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Getting cheaper meals by the minute....

I found a "Acme" version of this and divided the box into two servings and discovered dry Nido will work. The cook time is 15 minutes but that is on simmer. Add fake bacon bits or a dash of "season salt" (paprika based) and it is a true filler for the trail. Can easily be adapted to FBC.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Egg Drop Soup well its not quite up to eating chinese but very close.

This packet is a full cheap dinner as it has protein in it if you take a egg with you. A hard boiled egg and this packet is very filling.

loaded with veggies and dried mushrooms
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Slowest Hiker On Earth

I just bought about 20 boxes of those today for nothing with my coupons.

Do you think they would really work for freezer bag cooking? HOw would you do it?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I found a "Acme" version of this and divided the box into two servings and discovered dry Nido will work. The cook time is 15 minutes but that is on simmer. Add fake bacon bits or a dash of "season salt" (paprika based) and it is a true filler for the trail. Can easily be adapted to FBC.
    Isn't that the kind Wile E Coyote uses on the road runner?

That never works out!!
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

2010 complete

what's the sodium content on these products?

Journal Entries
    Images

An easy dish to make next to a cold stream, 1/2 cup of water mixed in your pot and and add 2 Tablespoons of of olive oil, stir to well blended. put pot into stream with rocks to hold it in place for chillin..... garnish with paprika salt and dip with broken pita breads.

wow....

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by shoe View Post
    I just bought about 20 boxes of those today for nothing with my coupons.

Do you think they would really work for freezer bag cooking? How would you do it?

Divide the packets into two glad bags 50/50 as the 5.5 oz produces too much food for two people in one dinner. Go ahead and mix with the sauce and the potato. Add two tablespoons of Nido to the cheese powder to each bag and ignore the call for butter or marg. as it is all ready in there.

On the trail its 1 1/8 or a cup and a little more to boil then follow the directions 15 to 18 minutes on simmer.

Woo

I realize that these pre-mixed meals are convenient, but I wonder if there are better alternatives.

I think it would be cheaper, but would it be manageable to make your own. Bag your own noodles, rice, grains, etc. Add from your bags of dehydrated peas, corn, peppers, etc. Now add from your pack of powdered cheese, tomato paste, etc and spices. Either make these in advance or create on the trail. Now, less sodium, msg, etc. Flavored to your liking.

Instead of freezer bag waste / garbage, why not cook and eat from a tupperware container with a screwcap. [many kitchen kits could be placed inside the container when hiking] Plus, rehydrating items could be started in the container with a small amount of water in your container an hour before reaching camp. At camp, add rice, pasta, grains to the container along with hot water and cook as you would in a freezer bag.

I am planning for my hike and this is how I am hoping to make it.

Images

Can I ask what is Nido?

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Divide the packets into two glad bags 50/50 as the 5.5 oz produces too much food for two people in one dinner. Go ahead and mix with the sauce and the potato. Add two tablespoons of Nido to the cheese powder to each bag and ignore the call for butter or marg. as it is all ready in there.

On the trail its 1 1/8 or a cup and a little more to boil then follow the directions 15 to 18 minutes on simmer.

Journal Entries
    Images

Whwwwee, Sangio do you do this on a regular basis? There is a cost vs time situation here. Jerky yup do it at home $$$$ ... drying a single potato and cheese ... maybee not. cheaper to buy packets or boxes. There is no joy in making mac & cheese from scratch for the trail... This is mac & russet potatos, nothing going on other than the savings of avoiding freeze dried. If you feel the need to do at home from scratch... GO for it.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikingbear View Post
    Can I ask what is Nido?
    Whole Dried Milk from Nestle sold only to mexican/spanish stores but found in Walmart Super Stores.

Woo

Images

Hey hikingbear, how's it going? To answer your question, "Nido" is a powdered whole milk (as opposed to non-fat powdered milk one usually finds in the store). It's a product of Mexico and comes in several types and is most often used as a reconstituted milk for baby bottles.

Mixed with cold water from a stream or spring found along the trail, it's quite good (a lot better tasting than the typical non-fat powdered milk, IMHO) and adds those much needed calories from the fat content.

You should be able to find it in the hispanic section of Wal-Mart or a market that specializes in Mexican foods. Another source is on-line. Just google "Nido".

Happy hiking.
    Montego

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Wow this is like watching hiker commercials...or the QVC holiday gourmet show
    (I'm visual so I like pictures)

Good ideas.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries

Default Nido

I think Nido is made by Nestle, not Nabisco. And is it made in Mexico or is Mexico just the primary market? Anyway, it is "fat dry milk", as opposed to "nonfat dry milk."

Yes, Nido is a Nestle product. According to the can, it is distributed by Nestle USA, and is a product of Mexico.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Farr Away View Post
    Yes, Nido is a Nestle product. According to the can, it is distributed by Nestle USA, and is a product of Mexico.
    My husband loves Nido. He took a long a zip lock bag of it on our last backpacking trip and made himself cups of milk. He said it's like drinking cream.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

I love Nido also. I mixed it with chocolate and strawberry protein mixes on my longer hikes. They were great with breakfast, and gave me a boost when my weight began to get low.

Images

Oh yeah, and I got a great deal on a case of it from Amazon last year.

Journal Entries
    Images

Remove from box 5 oz! HOT&tangy noodles in 5 minutes.

Several different flavors I just tried Thai Kitchen Tangy Sweet & Sour rice noodles and sauce and it is a meal. needs a cozy and several stirs.

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/n...hop.d2w/report

Some of the noodle meals can be vegan

Woo

Images

ill second that Wise Old Owl! that stuff is great, but ive found i cheaper rice noodle concoction.
    i dont know if you guys and gals get out to your asian grocers, i know they smell funny and not a lot of the stuff has English written on them. but if you know what you're looking for, you can get this great instant rice noodle, add half the seasoning pack (as the whole pack contains over 1000mg of sodium...yuck) some beef jerky, spicy peanuts, and fresh green onions. add some PB as a roux (thickener) and VIOLA!
    TRAIL PAD THAI for under two bucks. this is one of my favorite meals on trail and easiest to prepare.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++