WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Freeze Dried Foods Out Everywhere = Coronavirus Panic

So, I'm getting ready to head out to the PCT in five weeks for a LASH. As I do every year, I get on Amazon to order Mountain House freeze dried meals. Surprise! They don't even list most of the MH meals on their website at this time. Okay, I'm sure Emergency Essentials has them. Wrong! And yes I tried the Mountain House website. They are out of almost everything and aren't taking orders or answering questions. In fact, I found out they shut down their website for a while because the orders were coming in too fast. So why is this happening? Coronavirus. This reminds me of Y2K when everyone was predicting the sky would fall.

So if you were planning on MH meals for your hike or probably any commercial freeze dried meals - forget it at least for now. Me? I'm stocking up on Snickers and M&M peanuts.

Check out this article.

No Freeze Dried Meals
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

I guess it's never too early to panic

All I did was stock up on Emergen-C supplement packs...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

did you look at Wise foods?

You could try other companies like Heather's Choice or Backpacker's Pantry.

Another option would be to DIY some dehydrated meals. My wife and I bought a $50 Nesco dehydrator and started making our own dehydrated meals. It takes some supplies and planning, but we have more control over our diet.

When and where are you starting the PCT? We're starting at the Mexico boarder in early April.

Images

ldsailor, it could be a good time to try some of the lesser known brands.

I like PackIt Gourmet a lot. Pricier, but worth it.
    https://www.packitgourmet.com
    Maine's Good-to-Go is also very good.
    https://goodto-go.com/#

My next PCT hike is scheduled for the end of May, Agua Dolce to the Sierras if I make it that far. The California desert has been hard on me, and this is the driest, hottest section. I am holding off buying my flights till I see how CoVid-19 unfolds. Presuming this hike goes as planned, I would love to meet some WhiteBlazers along the way.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

That article in Outside says Mountain House makes mint chip ice cream sandwiches... really? Geeze. That sounds pretty good.

I’d rather catch CV than eat a MH meal! Try Hawk Vittles or look at skurkas beans and rice or other great recipes...DH beans may be out but unlikely...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    ldsailor, it could be a good time to try some of the lesser known brands.

I like PackIt Gourmet a lot. Pricier, but worth it.
    https://www.packitgourmet.com

My next PCT hike is scheduled for the end of May, Agua Dolce to the Sierras if I make it that far. The California desert has been hard on me, and this is the driest, hottest section. I am holding off buying my flights till I see how CoVid-19 unfolds. Presuming this hike goes as planned, I would love to meet some WhiteBlazers along the way.
    +1 for packit gourmet! Really good food lots of choices and fast service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Glad I have a freezer full of home cooked dehydrated meals for my hikes - I've never bought Mountain house (or others).

Went to local Sportsman’s Warehouse Wednesday and saw they had two 4x8 pegboards of Mountain House on sale, maybe 15% off. Waited until I got paid Friday planning to pick up a half dozen for upcoming camping trips. Totally sold out Sunday. Full price meals in other brands like Backcountry still in stock. Can’t tell if Virus panic or something else. Just seemed out of the ordinary that freeze dried food was a necessary panic item for a shelter/quarantine in place event that does not require carrying food.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I’d rather catch CV than eat a MH meal!
    Hah! Ditto.

When Y2K blew over, friends and neighbors were giving me all their emergency supplies for use on trail. I had years' worth. I sure hope this scare is just that, and maybe we will benefit from it again.

Journal Entries

While the PCT has much longer carries then the AT between resupplies, it might be better to get use to supermarket resupplies as you won't have MH available at every resupply.

You can always buy Knoor's products,instant potatoes,oatmeal yada yada.Don't worry about Corona virus just yet.Be happy.
    Last edited by Five Tango; 03-02-2020 at 10:18.

Images

Hawk Vittles and some of the other lesser known mom & pop should still have
    some. I did order several from Hawk last week.
    Here are some links, not saying they will have anything, but it should be worth a shot. All of theses are way better than MH.
    http://hawkvittles.com
    https://goodto-go.com
    https://trailtopia.com/
    ______
    /l ,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Ramen Pride

Quote Originally Posted by needlefish View Post
    did you look at Wise foods?
    I'm trying to stay with something with which I'm familar. I've been eating MH freeze dried meals since my days as a sailboat delivery skipper, which began almost 30 years ago. However at this point, I'll probably end up taking what I can get. Wise's website doesn't have any warnings about long lead times as some of the others do, but then I haven't tried to order anything yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo117 View Post
    You could try other companies like Heather's Choice or Backpacker's Pantry. Another option would be to DIY some dehydrated meals. My wife and I bought a $50 Nesco dehydrator and started making our own dehydrated meals. It takes some supplies and planning, but we have more control over our diet.

When and where are you starting the PCT? We're starting at the Mexico boarder in early April.
    I tried Backpacker's Pantry - long lead times. I'm not much of a cook. If I can't pull it from the freezer and put it in the microwave, I don't eat it. Doing my own dehydrated meals would probably end up in food poisoning.

My permit for the PCT is April 9 starting at Campo. Maybe I'll see you out there.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I’d rather catch CV than eat a MH meal! Try Hawk Vittles or look at skurkas beans and rice or other great recipes...DH beans may be out but unlikely...
    Yeah, not everyone is a fan. I like them though, and if you shop around you can get some good prices.

Thanks for all the replies. There are several companies mentioned that I have never heard of, so this gives me something to look at.

NBC news this morning had a segment on the run on grocery stores and emergency food supplies. Wow! Talk about major paranoia.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    My permit for the PCT is April 9 starting at Campo. Maybe I'll see you out there.
    The wife and I have permits for April 7th out of Campo. We just might see each other in town somewhere.

Best of luck finding some dehydrated meals.

Maine's Good-to-Go
    X2, stuff is legit.
    MEGA '19

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

l
    x3 - the Thai Curry rocks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++