WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What to Eat, Where to get, and How much?

I am still in the planning stage for a 2008 thru-hike starting March 15th. Not sure what to eat, where to get, and how much I should expect to spend any Ideas?

Go to the articles section, look on the left side of the page and start reading the resupply articles.

Only you can decide what to eat. What you spend will depend on what you decide to eat. If you can stomach oatmeal and ramen you can spend very little. If you want more costly items, or eat in town a lot, you can spend quite a bit.

WWW/Pennauwelwndam Gohkos / Donating Member
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alilalien View Post
    I am still in the planning stage for a 2008 thru-hike starting March 15th. Not sure what to eat, where to get, and how much I should expect to spend any Ideas?
    Is this for real? And you are starting your thru when? You got to be kidding, right.

"Switchback - NOBO '06" MyFeetHurt's Avatar

Don't worry if you aren't completely prepared when you set out. Any plans you make will change almost immediately anyway. I did hardly any preparation work, and I made it though with no problems. The hike is about the experience of it, and that includes the unexpected. There will be PLENTY of people to help you along the way.

Don't sweat it and have fun....

Quote Originally Posted by Alilalien View Post
    order this http://www.appalachianpages.com/ and you'll be fine

Look into the Appalachian pages offered here on WhiteBlaze, also you could get an old Wingfoot book or the Companion by the ATC. and they do have those Mapdanas too...
    Good luck!

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Owl View Post
    Is this for real? And you are starting your thru when? You got to be kidding, right.
    There have been a number of successful thru-hikers who didn't do a lot of pre-planning - GatorGump from 2007 is a prime example.

AliAlien, I would suggest you go read the article forum for suggestions about gear, food and clothing choices for a thru-hike. Also look in the Cooking & Food forum for info on what hikers typically eat.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    There have been a number of successful thru-hikers who didn't do a lot of pre-planning - GatorGump from 2007 is a prime example.

AliAlien, I would suggest you go read the article forum for suggestions about gear, food and clothing choices for a thru-hike. Also look in the Cooking & Food forum for info on what hikers typically eat.
    I understand that, but he almost sounds like he hasn't even been out on short backpacking trips. What to eat?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

There's lots of threads about whether to buy food on the trail or supplement with drops. Also there are threads about what people eat food-wise on the trail and about monetary expenses. We did a combination of dehydrating ahead of time and mail drop (esp for dinners) and bought along the way (mainly lunches). I believe good nutrition is paramount out there as your body is doing something it has never done before. Eating nutritious food means your body can repair damaged muscle tissue better (and it does get damaged) and you have more energy. You have a better chance of succeeding. Now you do have youth on your side, so that helps. But like a lot of things on a long distance hike, you learn as you go along. But definitely do research on this site, plenty of material to draw from, along with lots of opinions. Ultimately you do what you feel works for you.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I understand that, but he almost sounds like he hasn't even been out on short backpacking trips. What to eat?
    Lots of people have talked about this though. A search of topics on WB (under Search) can narrow it down and lead you to the right threads. He has also asked multiple questions. There's a wealth of info on WB for the choosing if you can take time to research.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

don't be too concerned. You will learn as you go and change your mind about it anyhow. My appetite didn't really come into play until the smokies and by then I had it dialed pretty much. You will too. have a blast !

Images

It is my understanding that GatorGump had never been on any backpacking trip prior to tackling the AT. It isn't like the AT is a particularly difficult trail technically nor is it very remote. It isn't like this person is planning to do the CDT or the PCT without prior experience.

Images

It is my understanding that GatorGump had never been on any backpacking trip prior to tackling the AT. It isn't like the AT is a particularly difficult trail technically nor is it very remote. It isn't like this person is planning to do the CDT or the PCT without prior experience.
    Agreed, I will shut up!

Images

Every year people go out to Springer with little or no experience and "wing it" mostly learning along the way. Much of this learning process comes from pairing up or following others who did more planning.

So it's absolutely possible to go in cold and make it to Maine. However, you'd give yourself a much better chance if you spend the next 2 months asking questions on here and doing lotsa research. Definately try to get to one of the Rucks.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

It is my understanding that GatorGump had never been on any backpacking trip prior to tackling the AT.
    And yet he seemed to think that setting his bare butt on the AT plaque at Springer was some sort of AT "tradition."

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    And yet he seemed to think that setting his bare butt on the AT plaque at Springer was some sort of AT "tradition."
    he started a NEW tradition

Images

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Feel bad for the SOBO's who kissed the sign
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    Feel bad for the SOBO's who kissed the sign
    Many days of sunshine had cleansed the plaque of any cooties Gump left....

And I still feel the AT is doable by a total novice. It is a great first long-distance hike.

And I still feel the AT is doable by a total novice. It is a great first long-distance hike.
    i was a total novice my first AT hike. there was no internet, books or videos on how to do it. i had a data book and Philosopher's guide and maps. i did no planning, itinerary or mail drops except for more maps and gear. thru-hikng the AT is very easy logistically
    wannabe thru-hikers totally overplan nowadays
    Last edited by Lone Wolf; 01-15-2008 at 13:04.

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    he started a NEW tradition
    Apparently a tradition that involves the risk of your butt being stuck to a sign, much like a tongue on a cold metal pole...

But hey, it's no skin off my cheeks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++