WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I used Aqua Mira about 10% of the time and didn't filter at all the rest.

Images

How many silwfs did you count?

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    I didn't see a single Sawyer In-Line Water Filter (SILWF)... unbelievable, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K:1328966
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    I didn't see a single Sawyer In-Line Water Filter (SILWF)... unbelievable, isn't it?
    What's this world coming to?

Images

the very first couple I became friendly with in Maine had 1 and I almost fell down laughing I told them I had to take a picture and then explained and then it turned out that they were familiar with the cafe.fidjit and dot.com from tx.you can read them on trailjournals.i spoke with dot.com a few days ago.

Images

I like 10Ks list but I'd really suggest a thermal layer - I end to ended in July and really enjoyed a light fleece layer at night - in September it would be absolutely essential

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    I like 10Ks list but I'd really suggest a thermal layer - I end to ended in July and really enjoyed a light fleece layer at night - in September it would be absolutely essential
    I never got cold at all but definitely September would have included some warmer clothes.

I knew I was pushing the envelope a bit but also knew that I'd be ok during the day as far as being warm went and worst case I could just crawl in my bag in the evening if I got cold. Turns out it was really pretty mild. The coldest evening was probably the first night at Laura Woodward shelter and I got there so late I was in my bag within an hour anyway.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I never got cold at all but definitely September would have included some warmer clothes.

I knew I was pushing the envelope a bit but also knew that I'd be ok during the day as far as being warm went and worst case I could just crawl in my bag in the evening if I got cold. Turns out it was really pretty mild. The coldest evening was probably the first night at Laura Woodward shelter and I got there so late I was in my bag within an hour anyway.
    I'd say that it was a warm year and you dodged the cold - most folks would be advised to take a thermal layer.

Really I just kinda figured "How cold can it get the first 2 weeks of August when temps are currently in the low 80's during the day and mid-50's at night the last week of July?"

I figured barring some weather anomaly temps would stay it the low 80s / mid 50's for 2 more weeks.

I had also looked up the record lows along the Long Trail in August to figure a worse case scenario and knew I'd be ok.

Anyway.... as I figured temps stayed the same the first 2 weeks of August as they did the last week of July.

But by all means, take a thermal layer if you want... I just don't like to carry a lot of "what if" stuff.

I did do my homework and studied the weather before I left - I didn't just willy-nilly decide I wasn't going to carry warmer clothes because I didn't want to haul the weight. If it had looked like it was going to cool off or there was a cooling trend coming you can bet I would have had warmer clothes.
    Last edited by 10-K; 08-25-2012 at 20:16.

I never even put my put my wind pants on or my 100 weight fleece pullover

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Hey 10K -

My new slogan for the Long Trail is "NO MERCY". I'm finally at Rutland doing resupply. Meet the woman who just ran the LT in 5 days last night at the inn at the long trail. I still can't belive she actually did it, mostly at night and during a couple of thunderstorms. How she didn't break a leg doing that is remarkable.

Looks like thier going to kick me out of here in a few -- later....
    Hey Slo-go'en,
    Was that you I talked with at the Governor Clement shelter the other day at lunch time? You said you had come from Pico Camp the night before, and I mentioned I thought I recognized your name.

Hope your hike went well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your successful hike! I hiked the LT four times, first in 1987-8. At least one of my hike reports were submitted to the GMC.

10-K,
    Congratulations on finishing the LT with such high daily mileage. You are an impressively strong hiker.

It's easier as a series of section hikes IMO.

Rt 4 south to Williamstown, MA roughly 100 miles and relatively easy.

RT4 north to route 2 near Waterbury, VT, a tough 70 plus mile section with the Breadloaf.

RT 2 to RT 15 is another tough section over Bolton, Mansfield and Whiteface. About 60 miles.

RT 15 to Canadian border, less challenging, but the trail is generally not well kept up as elsewhere. I averaged 20 miles or so a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    10-K,
    Congratulations on finishing the LT with such high daily mileage. You are an impressively strong hiker.

Sorry I missed you! I bet I asked 20 hikers going north that I passed if they were you.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Sorry I missed you! I bet I asked 20 hikers going north that I passed if they were you.
    Yeah a couple folks said someone was asking about me. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    10-K, did you purify water this trip? AM or Sawyer Squeeze? Itching' to know......
    I used Sawyer Squeeze. filter 100% happy. bags 50% happy.. my 32oz i used most of the time developed a leak in the top seam. i've since bought an 1.5L Evernew bottle for it instead (and will bring the 64oz as an extra/backup)

Images

10-K:

What were your favorite stretches of the trail? Favorite high peak, favorite off-trail stops, etc?
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    What were your favorite stretches of the trail? Favorite high peak, favorite off-trail stops, etc?
    I know this was addressed to 10-K, but I'll give you my opinion from my SOBO thru-hike in August '79:

Favorite stretches: south of Jay Peak to Whiteface; south of Mt. Mansfield over Camel's Hump, Mad Glen and the Starks; Horrid Gap to US-2; Bromley to the VT/MA border.

Off-trail stops: Inn at Long Trail, Stowe (mostly because we were soaking wet, cold and filthy). We didn't go off-trail very much.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    10-K:

My favorite high peak would have to be Mt. Mansfield. When I got to the top there was not a cloud in the sky, no wind, and it was warm. I could see Mt. Washington, the Presidentials, and many of the mountains I had already climbed and the ones I was getting ready to climb.

Best off trail stop was definitely Manchester Center, my favorite New England town by far. Waitsfield was a welcome stop and my first shower and serious resupply and I had a good time there.

Favorite stretch of trail is a tough one. The Long Trail from Lincoln Gap to Canada is just hard. Every day it is just one obstacle after another and for someone from the south used to dirt trails with switchbacks making the transition to the kind of hiking up there is hard.

So the technical answer to your question is that I didn't really have any "favorite" stretches of trail. I had a lot of "this is a lot better than that" stretches of trail. Hiking out of Manchester Center SOBO was nice, up and over White Rocks.

I guess the climb up and down Stratton was probably my overall favorite.

It was the kind of hike that gets better the more that times goes by afterwards.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++