WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    You will soon find that the hikers that sleep their dogs in shelters are neither interested in you or their dogs comfort. Probably wouldn't want to be around them anyway.
    +1 IMHO anyone who would bring a dog in a shelter to sleep for the night is a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    +1 IMHO anyone who would bring a dog in a shelter to sleep for the night is a moron.
    what im reading is you're a really sweet guy, and you're worried about the dogs getting a good nights sleep on the hardwood floor, or some hiker stepping on the dogs foot, or how everytime someone gets up to pee it wakes up the dog, taking away some good sleep. then i agree with you, the dogs are happier and more comfortable in the tent on the nice soft grass, away from all the noise.

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    what im reading is you're a really sweet guy, and you're worried about the dogs getting a good nights sleep on the hardwood floor, or some hiker stepping on the dogs foot, or how everytime someone gets up to pee it wakes up the dog, taking away some good sleep. then i agree with you, the dogs are happier and more comfortable in the tent on the nice soft grass, away from all the noise.
    The problem with taking a dog on a thru hike is they don't get a say in the matter. Its the sole prerogative of the human.

I say if you bring a dog into a shelter to spend the night your a moron.
    Last edited by Spokes; 01-16-2012 at 12:29.

The problem with taking a dog on a thru hike is they don't get a say in the matter. Its the sole prerogative of the human.
    then i was right ,you do like dogs thats cool

Love dogs just hate seeing moronic owners bringing them on the trail for a thru hike and allowing them in shelters for the night. I also hate obnoxious drunks and peanut brittle.

gotta hike the dogs hike, not keep up with the crowd. my dog was my crowd, and we were perfectly happy by ourselfs

Dog whisperer....... I like that.

If you own a dog and spend a lot of time with them you know what they like and what they don't. I can guarantee you if mine could talk he would be asking when we could hit the woods again. He LOVES our section hikes. I "know" it. I also know he doesn't like baths or taking his worm pill.

I say if you bring a dog into a shelter to spend the night your a moron.
    Agree, with minor exceptions. Anyone taking a dog into a shelter during thru season is indeed a moron, an inconsiderate moron.
    Last edited by ChinMusic; 01-16-2012 at 12:37.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Great points Chin

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post

Agree, with minor exceptions. Anyone taking a dog into a shelter during thru season is indeed a moron, an inconsiderate moron.
    why the exception, are you saying no place for the dog at all during thruhiker season, or if more hikers are coming they should get the space?
    what if its thruhiker season and the shelter is empty or you're with a small group of hikers that you been hiking with that like your dog and says its ok? and plenty of room too boot? i am guilty of having my dog in shelters during thruhiker season, but always gave up the space if needed or well ahead of time if a hiker rolled in and said more are coming. sucks to be called a moron without even getting to know me first. we were probably in the shelter from me being lazy or it was raining! more hikers coming just gave me a good reason to set up the tent :-)
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 01-16-2012 at 12:54.

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    why the exception, are you saying no place for the dog at all during thruhiker season, or if more hikers are coming they should get the space?
    what if its thruhiker season and the shelter is empty or you're with a small group of hikers that you been hiking with that like your dog and says its ok? and plenty of room too boot? i am guilty of having my dog in shelters during thruhiker season, but always gave up the space if needed or well ahead of time if a hiker rolled in and said more are coming. sucks to be called a moron without even getting to know me first. we were probably in the shelter from me being lazy or it was raining! more hikers coming just gave me a good reason to set up the tent :-)
    During thru season it is almost a guarantee that someone will be showing up later. I tent 100% of the time with my dog.

Even in off-season with my dog, when I think our group will be the only ones there, I'm worried folks will be coming later. Even for a social trip where the group decides to use the shelter, I will often set up my tent anyways, just in case others come later. My group is 100% fine with my dog, been hiking with him for years, but I cannot assume those that come later will feel the same way.

If someone shows up late, I don't even ask if they are OK with the dog in a shelter. I don't want to put them on the spot of having to answer. We just move to our tent.

In addition, I have a dog that does not shed. CSI would have a hard time knowing I own a dog. There are like zero pet hairs in my car or home. If my dog were the shedding type I would never, ever, allow him in a shelter. Folks DO NOT want your dog's hair on their stuff. That includes ME.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    During thru season it is almost a guarantee that someone will be showing up later. I tent 100% of the time with my dog.

Even in off-season with my dog, when I think our group will be the only ones there, I'm worried folks will be coming later. Even for a social trip where the group decides to use the shelter, I will often set up my tent anyways, just in case others come later. My group is 100% fine with my dog, been hiking with him for years, but I cannot assume those that come later will feel the same way.

If someone shows up late, I don't even ask if they are OK with the dog in a shelter. I don't want to put them on the spot of having to answer. We just move to our tent.

In addition, I have a dog that does not shed. CSI would have a hard time knowing I own a dog. There are like zero pet hairs in my car or home. If my dog were the shedding type I would never, ever, allow him in a shelter. Folks DO NOT want your dog's hair on their stuff. That includes ME.
    its not a guarantee that someone will always show up during thruhiker season, in georgia yeah alot farther north not so much, im not disagreeing with you, pretty much on the same level. just cause im saying i,ve had my dog in shelters,doesn't mean all the time. 99% of the time my dog would lay in the grass while i cooked and set up the tent. if she crashed in the shelter i would still put up the tent for later or just because someone else might show up. usually if my dog made her way to the shelter,its cause one of our hiker friends called her over. and let her rest on thier bag or pad, then she would come back over for dinner. i was always prepared to tent if needed, or offer my tent up to others when they didn't want to wake the dog up. i never asked if the dog was ok in the shelter i like you, just moved out. and its usually not hard to know who's coming between zig-zagging hikers all day or week, but faster hikers showing up at the shelter, will let you know who they passed and who's coming. in 7 years hiking with my dog,we only upset one hiker and had nothing to do with shelters, she stepped in a water source up stream for a drink, i corrected her from then on she drank down stream from everyone else. my dog had well over7,000 miles on the AT, so i think IMO we knew how to roll with the punches and keep everyone happy. glad i owned a dog who didn't shed either :-)
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 01-16-2012 at 22:42.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

SInce this is in the Straight Forward section and the OP asked if there is a tactful way to deal with dog owners in shelters maybe we can get back on topic, if there's any thing left to cover that is. IMO the best thing for the OP to do is to plan on staying in a tent thus avoiding any health problems associated with dogs.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    SInce this is in the Straight Forward section and the OP asked if there is a tactful way to deal with dog owners in shelters maybe we can get back on topic, if there's any thing left to cover that is. IMO the best thing for the OP to do is to plan on staying in a tent thus avoiding any health problems associated with dogs.
    good idea to bring some sort of shelter no matter what, never rely on shelter space.

I've been a dog owner for almost all of my 50 years of living. We currently have a large (5 year-old) chocolate lab. The members of my household donate to humane societies. We have friends involved in dog "rescue" groups etc. So, let me make it clear, I am not a dog hater.

That being said...

I believe that it is VERY inconsiderate to other hikers--and not "fair" to the dog--to bring a dog into a shelter. (I also believe that dogs should be on a leash at all times during the hike and in while shelter/camp areas).

The problem isn't generally the dog--it is the inconsiderate dog owner. I often choose to hike in parks and on trails where dogs are 100% prohibited (and where such rules are strictly enforced) primarily because many people who hike with dogs behave like inconsiderate jerks. They tend to believe that their "right" to hike and camp with their (usually unleashed) dog far outweighs the rights of everyone else.

Some people are truly allergic to dogs. Sadly, THEY are the ones who are expected to camp in tents in all sorts of weather--just because some inconsiderate individuals insist that their dogs have a right to be in the shelters.

Even the BEST BEHAVED dog--can have an "off day" and can growl at people and bite people. Yet, ironically, it is the OTHER FOLKS on the trail who are expected to take the risk of being bitten or attacked (or take the risk of having their dinner snatched by a bold dog)--all because some hikers believe that they have a right to hike and camp with an unleashed dog. (These same morons just love to say: "My dog never bites and would never bother anybody").

In a shelter, a dog's nails can puncture other people's inflatable sleeping pads. Dirty/wet dogs (especially ones with sharp nails) can ruin or soil other hikers' sleeping gear and other items. OTHER HIKERS are expected to stand by and honor the rights of the dog and the dog owner--while their own gear is damaged. How fair is that?

At least 40% of the AT has rules in place which require dogs to be on a leash. Some additional portions of the trail prohibit dogs altogether. Yet, you will find that many dog owners think that they (and their precious dogs) should not be expected to follow such unrealistic and cruel rules. They believe that they have their "rights" and not even duly enacted laws should interfere with those rights.

Should a person (who is allergic to dogs) be able to stay in shelters and not have to deal with dog problems? Theoretically, the answer is a resounding "Yes!" The existing laws and the current park rules would tend to support that belief (especially along nearly half of the AT). Furthermore, basic common courtesy (and the suggested trail "etiquette" for hiking with dogs on the AT) would (theoretically) cover you on the remainder of the trail.

HOWEVER, many inconsiderate dog owners (and their equally inconsiderate friends/supporters) would beg to differ such a philosophy. Thus, many dog owners will continue to do whatever they darn well please--and YOU will be the one pitching a tent in all sorts of nasty weather (while the inconsiderate dog owners can simply walk up to nearly any shelter and promptly claim a nice dry place to stay with their precious pooch!)`

Ain't life grand!
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

That's one of the best posts I've ever read. Thanks prain4u!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyofthewoods View Post
    My NOBO hike is planned for mid March. My hiking buddy has an allergy to pet hair and is concerned about folks keeping their dogs in the shelter. How can this be handled tactfully?
    Say please, explain the situation nicely, say please again ... but be prepared to move on down the trail if that doesn't work.

People with dogs on the trail are either 1) very considerate and keep their dogs under control, or 2) display an amazing callousness toward other trail and shelter users. They really just don't care. (Kind of like dog owners on WB who hijack threads in the STRAIGHT FORWARD forum; after all, rules are for the dogless.)

Really though, your buddy should accept responsibility for his/her own comfortable shelter. Good luck and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Camping Dave View Post
    Say please, explain the situation nicely, say please again ... but be prepared to move on down the trail if that doesn't work.

People with dogs on the trail are either 1) very considerate and keep their dogs under control, or 2) display an amazing callousness toward other trail and shelter users.
    Yeppers. As I posted before. If they are inconsiderate enough to be in the shelter with their dog during peak season, words probably won't mean much. Assume category #2.

(Kind of like dog owners on WB who hijack threads in the STRAIGHT FORWARD forum; after all, rules are for the dogless.)
    And you didn't.........?
    Really though, your buddy should accept responsibility for his/her own comfortable shelter. Good luck and have fun!
    Agree 100%

Images

Good dog owners = good people. They will be considerate of others whether they have a dog or not.
    Bad dog owners = bad people. They will claim that they (and their dogs) have rights and then infringe on everyone else's.

don't sleep in shelters, just too much going on for the way I sleep, but if I see a dog sleeping in a shelter I assume it is abused or neglected in some way by its owner.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbelly View Post
    Since your a medical expert i guess...
    No need to be snide, Owl's just being helpful.

If you want to really get into it, there are a handful of different causes:

1) Allergic to the natural dust and dander that gets caught up in the coat
    2) Allergic to the proteins in the saliva
    3) Allergic to the proteins in the urine

Could be any of those, and a thorough blood panel and testing should show which it is.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++