WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 61 of 134 FirstFirst ... 11 51 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 71 111 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 2679

Quote Originally Posted by Adriana View Post
    There is an extensive article on Gerry Largay in today's Atlanta Journal with many personal details. Unfortunately it is behind a pay wall. I think I can email it from my iPad app if you are interested.
    The BDN picked it up too.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/08/2...ders-her-fate/
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

Quote Originally Posted by joshuasdad View Post
    My understanding is that she was having trouble with her tent, and preferred to sleep in shelters. If you want to stay in shelters, that forces the 10.7/8/13.5 itinerary.
    Interesting. Do you (anyone) know what tent troubles she had? I don't remember reading about that; I had only read that she liked shelters.

I also prefer sleeping in shelters but I'm with you, Sly. I usually wouldn't leave 13.5 for the last day of the stretch, even if that made my 2nd to last day terribly long. If my tent was leaking and rain was in the forecast, though, I might. I was convinced that she passed Spaulding LT and stealth-camped, but that was before the Lone Mtn sighting was questioned.

Quoting EE #915 pg 46 "Gerry hated the tent that she used with me last year so she replaced it. Not sure with which one, though. Sorry I couldn't be of more help."
    I'm guessing she preferred not to stealth camp alone, and so used shelters, but her tent was fine. would have been awful tempting, with rain coming in for Tuesday, to get an early start Monday, as she did, and continue past Spaulding to the tent platforms Sly mentioned. But, no matter intentions, if she didn't make it to Lone, she didn't.

Channel 6 news portland maine--search for Gerry called off after no results this week.

Quote Originally Posted by muddy boots View Post
    Channel 6 news portland maine--search for Gerry called off after no results this week.
    Here is a good description of the trail from Poplar Ridge Lean to to Spaulding Mountain Lean to. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=430579

Something is not right with this whole scenario. One day a hiker wakes up refreshed and ready to hike the next part of the Appalachian trail, happily gets her picture taken, takes off on a beautiful, sunny Monday morning in July and then is never seen or heard from again. Since she spent some time talking with Ivanich in the Poplar Ridge Lean-to the day before, since NOBO Ivanich should have passed by Inchworm sometime Monday morning. Maybe Ivanich could give more insight about it all.

1811 miles and counting!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by muddy boots View Post
    Does anyone have a link for this? Called off for now or called off completely?

Quote Originally Posted by ATSeamstress View Post
    Does anyone have a link for this? Called off for now or called off completely?
    Here is the link http://www.wgme.com/news/top-stories...id_18424.shtml

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Sounds like the Maine Wardens will not be doing any more searches. Very sad.

I cannot recall another case where a long distance hiker was lost and never found.

My heart goes out to the family.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

I have checked this thread every day hoping inchworm would be found. I hate that this has happened and feel for her family and friends as well as our AT Trail community.More and more in my opinion the possibility exists that this was a criminal act instead of a case of a lost or injured hiker. Maybe the focus of the investigation has shifted in this direction. Regardless of the reason for her disappearance I hope she is found so her family finds closure

[QUOTE=WILLIAM HAYES;1521016]I have checked this thread every day hoping inchworm would be found. I hate that this has happened and feel for her family and friends as well as our AT Trail community...

I too have checked in every day hoping she will be found one way or another. I keep hoping, still. This case very strange, in fact bizarre.

Can anyone here speak to the searching done with the dogs?

I’m curious as to whether or not any scent dogs were taken out to the Poplar LT and worked NOBO from there. Seems like an obvious thing to do, and it’s probably been done, but I haven’t heard any specifics since they were first searching with dogs NOBO of Spaulding LT.
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

My heart also sinks, I fear this is something I will wonder about for the rest of my life here in Maine. Where's Gerry? So sorry for her close friends and family.
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

1811 miles and counting!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Carlson View Post
    Thank you, Cheryl. I, too, have followed this thread hoping Gerry would be found. Bluebearee, you are right, this will be on our minds for a long time to come, especially for you with it being so close to home. I've never had any reservations about hiking alone, until now. Thankfully I have a great hiking partner, hopefully our schedules will permit us to finish together. We got as far as Franconia last year.

So sad that the searches did not provide any clues. I keep wondering about the woman the boys met on Lone Mountain. Does anyone know whether Ivanich & Kaleidoscope were asked if they were the woman the boys encountered at that spot?

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Having never hiked in that area YET, I wonder if the Maine woods are any thicker, any more dense, than the Smokies.
    People have disappeared there and not been seen again--not so much up on the ridge where the AT is but in the lower elevations. How do they compare if someone steps away from the trail?
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    Having never hiked in that area YET, I wonder if the Maine woods are any thicker, any more dense, than the Smokies.
    People have disappeared there and not been seen again--not so much up on the ridge where the AT is but in the lower elevations. How do they compare if someone steps away from the trail?
    The maine woods are some of the thickest I've ever seen anywhere on the east coast...super dense and thick.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebearee View Post
    My heart also sinks, I fear this is something I will wonder about for the rest of my life here in Maine. Where's Gerry? So sorry for her close friends and family.
    Very well stated, I trust Gerry's family and friends can take some comfort knowing just how many folks this has touch and that in some measure we share their grief.

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    I understand that Maine woods are extremely dense, but all the pictures I've seen (on links from this thread) show what seems to me as high altitude, thinly treed areas where Inchworm went missing.

Quote Originally Posted by fins1838 View Post
    I understand that Maine woods are extremely dense, but all the pictures I've seen (on links from this thread) show what seems to me as high altitude, thinly treed areas where Inchworm went missing.
    Above treeline yes. The area they are looking in is packed solid with forest.

Page 61 of 134 FirstFirst ... 11 51 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 71 111 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++