WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    I agree with you Rasty. I also think that section hikers come from a different place than thru-hikers, maybe. But, after being out on the trail( in sections ) myself, I am beginning to wonder what the difference really is... with all the places for resupply and easy access to getting on and off the trail. It might be safe to say that thru-hiking is just a bunch of section hiking strung together without a super long break. A lot of thru-hikers don't seem to actually be staying on the trail that much.

I agree with OZ and others. I think the better "help" might come in the form of shuttles/rides into towns for resupply etc... No one really seems to want to be "disconnected" for very long. You can tell things are really changing when it comes to hiking the AT.
    Thru hiking is not a pilgrimage where the hikers must rely on the generosity of the villagers. There isn't any difference between a thru and a section hiker when it comes to resources and resupply. Isn't the challenge supposed to be part of a hike? Why bother to thru hike if it becomes too easy?

Last edited by HikerMom58; 06-13-2013 at 22:33.

Images

Only on WB could a person offer such an idea, with all the good intentions he could have, and then have others come out with daggers. As I read the OP I feel like I knew the negative from others was just a moment away. This is one thing that sucks about posting sites like this. Hey Lemni Skate, go do what is in your heart, sounds like you know right from wrong, and enjoy your retirement.

For the hikers trying to loose weight, are trail feeds just mean?

The negativity on this thread is astounding. If you want to do some trail magic and help folks out while doing some hiking on your own.....well I think that's great. And as to trail magic or kindness "interjecting" on someone's hike, or "ruining it," well here's a thought: While on the Trail, just as when at home, when someone kindly offers you something you're not interested in, you look them in the eye, smile, say "No, thank you!" and you go about your business. This is not that difficult a concept. Those not interested in Trail magic have a simple expedient......decline it and keep walking. If the guy who hits the crossing or parking lot five minutes behind you decides to accept a Pepsi or a burger from a stranger, well how this negatively impacts or damages your own journey completely escapes me.

Quote Originally Posted by keepinitsimple View Post
    Only on WB could a person offer such an idea, with all the good intentions he could have, and then have others come out with daggers. As I read the OP I feel like I knew the negative from others was just a moment away. This is one thing that sucks about posting sites like this. Hey Lemni Skate, go do what is in your heart, sounds like you know right from wrong, and enjoy your retirement.
    Egaactly, but in fairness, it's pretty much the same old crew that goes into negetive attack mode whenever the oppurtunity arises.

.................................................. .....
    Last edited by HikerMom58; 06-13-2013 at 22:34.

Fresh Grounds, who I saw near Erwin, is following a group of early season thrus up the trail. Pretty sure that Curtis knew of him. I think he stays at a given location for about two weeks, then heads a couple weeks up trail.

I personally would not like to see too much of this, but the early season thrus seem to be big fans. On that particular day, a long hot dayhike, I was a fan too. If done LNT, seems pretty harmless, except to businesses located just after the "angel" locations.

Being able to set their life aside for that time, logistically and financially, is what's amazing to me, not the walking... I suspect that most thru-hikers already were exceptional people in one way or another before setting foot on the trail. The walking is the only part that doesn't impress me, really.

Quote Originally Posted by TD55:1484592
    Quote Originally Posted by keepinitsimple View Post
    Egaactly, but in fairness, it's pretty much the same old crew that goes into negetive attack mode whenever the oppurtunity arises.
    He did ask for thoughts about providing additional trail magic. There are others here who have a different opinion and have expressed it. Not sure why this is a problem? The amount of "magic" is no longer magical if it's at every road crossing.

Last edited by HikerMom58; 06-13-2013 at 22:35.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD:1484604
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    For the hikers trying to loose weight, are trail feeds just mean?
    No...... some hikers are afraid of loosing weight on a hike... they need to be careful not to loose more. Should you just consider the hikers trying to loose weight? People have choices to make for themselves. There are many choices for people everyday.

If someone has an addiction to food maybe a trail feed would be a temptation for them to loose control with it. If someone is a recovered alcoholic offering them a cold beer wouldn't be a good idea either.

I think the point you are trying to make is .... leave everyone alone while they are hiking, unless they ask for or obliviously need help. Some hikers would not be happy with you for suggesting this... jus sayin. Trail magic is just part of the tradition for hiking the trail, right now. Like anything, it can be taken too far or done "wrong". It has it's up and downside.
    I guess being left alone is too much to ask. This is why I usually hike the AT during the off season. I hiked for a week in the bubble and the only thing I didn't like was the support crews where I was told I was doing it wrong twice by non-hikers.
    Last edited by Rasty; 06-10-2013 at 13:22.

No...... some hikers are afraid of loosing weight on a hike... they need to be careful not to loose more. Should you just consider the hikers trying to loose weight? People have choices to make for themselves. There are many choices for people everyday.

If someone has an addiction to food maybe a trail feed would be a temptation for them to loose control with it. If someone is a recovered alcoholic offering them a cold beer wouldn't be a good idea either.

I think the point you are trying to make is .... leave everyone alone while they are hiking, unless they ask for or obliviously need help. Some hikers would not be happy with you for suggesting this... jus sayin. Trail magic is just part of the tradition for hiking the trail, right now. Like anything, it can be taken too far or done "wrong". It has it's up and downside.
    I'm fairly new to the trail 'culture' despite not being new to the trail at all, so I may be wrong here but my understanding is that 'trail magic' used to mean chance instances of this kind of thing, not pre-planned, staged events. The ATC FAQ even lists sightings of 'elusive wildlife' as an example... I just like this idea a lot more than setting up 'feeds' at every gap, which seems to be becoming the 'tradition' from what I read here.

Last edited by HikerMom58; 06-13-2013 at 22:35.

Images

I don't think many would argue that an OCCASIONAL bit of edible "trail magic" is nice, I know the half dozen or so times on my thru I appreciated it. But to many what is good in moderation becomes obnoxious in excess. And when there are massive hiker feeds located miles apart like in GA in peak season, it is no longer a thing of magic and it changes the very character of the experience. Yes, you can walk on by without stopping but it is a further encroachment on what for many is a wilderness experience or as close as the AT allows.

Finally, while not directed at the OP....... I do think there are a few too many hiker groupies. Thru hikers aren't rock stars or heros, they are people on vacation.

Last edited by HikerMom58; 06-13-2013 at 22:36.

1. That's cool MD... tell us if you feel the same way after you do your first long distant hike. Tell us how the walking felt for you. It may not be a big deal to you.

2. A lot of thru-hikers are trying to find themselves out there. They don't have it all together, like you say. That's been my feelings when actually interacting with some of them.
    1. While it's true that I haven't thru-hiked, I don't think you have either... Perhaps neither of us is qualified to be speaking for that group. The difference is I'm leaving them alone while you're not only going out and seeking them out to interact but also encouraging others to do the same. Both our opinions may be ill-informed but mine is passive. I'm not going out and trying to stop 'trail angels,' I'm simply not encouraging them on here either.

2. They must have it together or they wouldn't be out there, that was my point. Kids 'trying to find themselves' are generally doing so on mommy and daddy's money. I've met two people on the AT that were homeless and out there out of need, and both of them had government checks that were simply easier to stretch on the trail than in town... You compared the real needs of people in every day life with the wants of those on the trail, there is no comparison... That was my only point.

Ok.. so, no matter what type of trail magic is given some amount of planning has gone into it for the person actually doing it.
    Not true. On one of my very first section hikes I found a can of orange soda on the ground... Not left for someone, just accidentally left. That was 'magic.'

In 2000 there was this guy who kept showing up at shelters, road crossings, etc. The first couple of times it was like, "heck yes you can give us a ride into town to pick up beer and pizza for everyone". Then the 3rd. or 4th. time he showed up, it became "this guy is a weirdo".

Also in 2000 there was this couple who had a magnetic sign on their van saying they were "trail angels". Yep, we ate their food, but when they insisted we sign their guest book and handed out "trail angel" cards with their name and address (supposedly we were to send them post cards along the way), it was a little creepy.

My point is, a little random trail magic is good, but don't go too far with it cuz nobody likes or trusts a pack sniffer.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    In my ideal world all LD hikers need is a trail...
    ...and some tail

If some one wants to make some hikers happy, then release the loose women

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    ...and some tail

If some one wants to make some hikers happy, then release the loose women
    Well now this is starting to sound like a National Lampoon's production.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++