WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Pass it on Dude!

This maybe a little off topic, but I just wanted to throwout there this thought. When I need tothin out my gear, and who hasn’t, I always call the local Boy Scout council anddonate my gear to them. I know that someyoung man is getting some quality equipment and an opportunity to experiencethe great outdoors. Just a thought foreveryone out there. Maybe you have yourown special organization or charity that could like to support. Pass it on dude.

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

I could give some of the JUNK! I have carried. and It would be better than the JUNK I seen them carry. Serious it sounds like a good idea and How about them Girl Scouts.
    Alcohol was involved!

Girl Scouts camp and hike, too!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gumball View Post
    Girl Scouts camp and hike, too!
    Yep - last year, I lent a bunch of gear to a Troop of GS's that were hiking almost the same section of AT that my Troop of BS's were. Different week, though. Traded the lending for a Wilderness First Aid course!
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

you can find out who to contact by finding your local GS council at : http://www.girlscouts.org/councilfinder/

Thanks for this post guys I was going through the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    yep - I also see "scout leaders" out teaching kids how to do the stupidest things - like wash dishes in a creek, trench tents, throw knives, build campfires by pouring fuel on wood, burn foil waste and almost every conceivable moronic outdoor practice - Outward Bound, Summer Camp Programs, NOLS, or just good parents - Mom/Dad/Kid(s) groups are MUCH more beneficial to youth that I know. Obviously, the non-tolerance of atheists and gays (and their thinly veiled right-wing attitude) is completely unacceptable (to me). Feral Bill is spot-on. Heck, find a 18-20 year old thru-hiker on a tight budget and mentor them or donate some stuff to them - what could be more fun for a Whiteblazer?!
    Scout groups are volunteer organizations and as such are only as good as their volunteers! Girl Scouts (especially) needs more leaders who are knowledgeable and willing to take girls camping! My co-leader just participated in our local council's camp training--the trainer didn't even know how to set up the tent and many of the women admitted they would never take their girls camping because they didn't believe the girls were capable.... so maybe the best thing WB'ers can donate is their Time!

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Watch for the spin off from this thread.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

++ New Posts ++