WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Keith Ti6300 - Beef And Broccoli

As a brown rice fanatic I'm going to boil up some rice in my regular titanium 1 liter pot and once it boils I'll take it off the stove and place it in my pot cozy and wait 30 minutes to see if the rice is soft and edible.

My initial impression of the Keith cooker is that you bring it to a boil, shut off stove, and wait 20 or 30 minutes and the rice is done. No cozy needed? So what's the difference?? How could steamed rice be any better than cooked rice (with cozy)??

Brown rice is notoriously hard to cook in the field as it takes a good hour at simmer to create a decent meal---so let the games begin.

TWO HOUR UPDATE
    After sitting in my pot cozy for 2 hours the rice is not edible. I just can't see how the Keith cooker could do anything better if you bring rice to a boil and shut off the stove and let it sit "until the pressure is released." Esp since the cooker does not come with the pressure release valve and instead just has an open hole on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    As a brown rice fanatic I'm going to boil up some rice in my regular titanium 1 liter pot and once it boils I'll take it off the stove and place it in my pot cozy and wait 30 minutes to see if the rice is soft and edible.

My initial impression of the Keith cooker is that you bring it to a boil, shut off stove, and wait 20 or 30 minutes and the rice is done. No cozy needed? So what's the difference?? How could steamed rice be any better than cooked rice (with cozy)??

Brown rice is notoriously hard to cook in the field as it takes a good hour at simmer to create a decent meal---so let the games begin.

TWO HOUR UPDATE
    After sitting in my pot cozy for 2 hours the rice is not edible. I just can't see how the Keith cooker could do anything better if you bring rice to a boil and shut off the stove and let it sit "until the pressure is released." Esp since the cooker does not come with the pressure release valve and instead just has an open hole on top.
    Correctomundio...no pressure no brown rice. Bombastic comes to mind for this little cooker.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Correctomundio...no pressure no brown rice. Bombastic comes to mind for this little cooker.
    It's da bomb!
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    It's da bomb!
    eggsactly!

i dont know, I'm a bit confused. The beef and broccoli video seems to indicate his 1oz of fuel lasted for nearly 15 minutes of cooking. Have i been doin it all wrong?

My conclusion is that he let the oz of fuel burn out and then the food sat for nearly 15 min.

Images

TWO HOUR UPDATE
    Try soaking the brown rice beforehand, either overnight or during the day, for quicker results.
    enough talking......let's get walking !

Quote Originally Posted by Onsen View Post
    Try soaking the brown rice beforehand, either overnight or during the day, for quicker results.
    I thought the whole point of the pressure "rice" cooker was to bring it to a boil and shut off the stove and have fluffy edible rice in 30 minutes??

Images

I thought the whole point of the pressure "rice" cooker was to bring it to a boil and shut off the stove and have fluffy edible rice in 30 minutes??
    If you plan ahead with the tougher grains it'll be ready in 20 mins...

The keith 6300 is just a steamer with a silicone seal...but you can buy baby pressure release valves on the internet if your curious & want to convert it.

Images

Probably the most efficient way fuel wise, would be cook the brown rice at home, dehydrate it, then steam it at camp....saving on fuel, carry weight of rice & time spent twiddling your thumbs at camp. Experiment & find a happy medium that suit you.

Probably the most efficient way fuel wise, would be cook the brown rice at home, dehydrate it, then steam it at camp....saving on fuel, carry weight of rice & time spent twiddling your thumbs at camp. Experiment & find a happy medium that suit you.
    Being as mentioned a brown rice fanatic I'm one step ahead---I cook up a big pot of brown rice at home and don't dehydrate it but once cooled I put it in a big blender and add sufficient water to blend thoroughly and pour this soupy mixture on silicone sheets on my dehydrator trays. Once dried I crumble into ziplocs.

In the field I put the rice in enough water and boil and turn off stove and sit in pot cozy for 30 minutes. Voila! Brown Rice Gruel. It mixes well with my similar blended and dried pinto beans. Add olive oil and seasoning or even some cheese, voila, dinner.

TRIP 147 050-L.jpg
    Here's the brown rice ready for the cook pot.

TRIP 173 004-L.jpg
    Here's cooked brown rice dried at home. I have found these hard kernels of rice, even though cooked, reconstitute poorly in the field as some remain hard---ergo the blender trick.

Images

I like that, may have borrow that idea & give it a go...thanks tipi.

Images

If you plan ahead with the tougher grains it'll be ready in 20 mins...

The keith 6300 is just a steamer with a silicone seal...but you can buy baby pressure release valves on the internet if your curious & want to convert it.
    Now....it's a pressure pot.

DSCF4489 (Small).JPG

DSCF4489 (Small).JPG
    is it UL approved? The pot?

Images

Images

DSCF4489 (Small).JPG
    Where are thoe little release valves available from, please and thank you :-)

Thanks Tipi for the brown rice gruel idea. :-)

Images

Made a stainless steel basket for my cooker just so I could steam deveined shrimp......ohh sooo good:-)
    DSCF3742 (1).JPGDSCF3740.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Where are thoe little release valves available from, please and thank you :-)

Thanks Tipi for the brown rice gruel idea. :-)
    You're welcome. Currently I'm on a Quinoa kick. This stuff is probably better than brown rice---and can be carried as a raw grain in the field and brought to a boil with olive oil and salt, sit in pot cozy for 30 minutes, Voila---fully cooked quinoa. No home prep or steamer needed.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++