WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cook pot size/brand for two people?

I'm looking for advice about what size pot we should bring for a thru-hike with two people. One being myself (I eat an average amount), one being my boyfriend (usually eats larger meals). Are there certain brands/types of pots that y'all like? Would we be better off bringing two one-person pots and just cooking our meals in sequence?

Journal Entries

For two people I really like the jetboil (or similar). The Jetboil's extra weight is diluted by 2 people carrying one stove and hot water is very fast, meaning both eat at the same time, even if one may have a 2 minute head start at times. Using other cooking methods if multiple boils are needed it takes 6+ minutes and as long as 10 or more, which is eating separately.

Efficiency and dependability also comes into play here as the Jetboil with a full small canister is over 10 L of boiled water (I find about 12L, but count on 10L ). That would give you the pot size as it is part of their system.

If not using a jetboil or like high efficiency system, I would opt for a larger pot then the Jetboil if you want to cook and eat together. Enough for 4 cups with extra room for boilover and to comfortably fill, stir and use. In the Jetboil it really takes so little time to heat some more water one can get away with a smaller amount of water and top off with the second batch of boiled water, not so with other systems (expect other high efficiency rapid cook systems).

I would typically boil up water in the Jetboil and split it between me and my SO in 2 freezedried packs. It was not enough water, but enough to get it started. Quickly boil some more water and top it off. I would really need a larger pot with a slower system.

I agree. I own multiple stoves. The JetBoil replaced all of them.
    However, there are multiple pot sizes in the various JetBoil models. Choose wisely.
    Wayne

Images

Toaks 1300ml pot with titanium pot support/windscreen

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/zelphs-...handle-kit.php
    Last edited by zelph; 12-05-2018 at 21:32.

Journal Entries

Evernew 1.3 if doing fbc

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I agree. I own multiple stoves. The JetBoil replaced all of them.
    However, there are multiple pot sizes in the various JetBoil models. Choose wisely.
    Wayne
    We already own a pocket rocket and were planning on using that. Are the Jetboil pots only compatible with the Jetboil stoves? Or could they be used on a pocket rocket too?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mkroberts96 View Post
    We already own a pocket rocket and were planning on using that. Are the Jetboil pots only compatible with the Jetboil stoves? Or could they be used on a pocket rocket too?
    It's a crapshoot, it may work or not. Perhaps you can bring it into the store and try to see if it works. Don't expect it to lock however. There are other high efficiency pots also.

Images

Use this pot in conjuntion with your pocket rocket:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5L-Portab...d=322553056168

Lots of info on heat exchanger pots Here:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/...at-exchangers/

For two people we use either a Jet Boil Minimo or a Pocket Rocket 2 with an Evernew 1.3 Ti pot. Jet boil is very easy/minimal fuss but the PR2 and pot is lighter.

We also have a 1oz. zippered insulated soft "mini cooler" that we use as a coozie (found it in a thrift store). It's basically a small cube and fits our 1.3 liter pot full of rehydrating food but would also fit two MH bags of dinners or two freezer bags if we went that direction. We can also fit our two Zip-Lock 16oz screw top containers in there as well if we are using them to rehydrate something that needs to keep the heat in. Lots of flexability in that 1oz piece of gear. Also would work nicely to carry out something from town that you wanted to keep on the cool side like a Sub or your favorite IPA.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The thing about a Jetboil stove is that the pot attaches to the stove for better stability. The pots on a Pocket Rocket are pretty unstable (I think that is there #1 complain in reviews I've seen over the years.

are you both planning to eat out of the same pot or are you just using it to boil water/cook enough food for two people then separate it?

Quote Originally Posted by GankenBerry View Post
    are you both planning to eat out of the same pot or are you just using it to boil water/cook enough food for two people then separate it?
    We were planning on cooking a double serving of whatever we're eating in the same pot and then splitting into our own respective bowls to eat. We might kill each other if we had to physically eat together out of one vessel but we also don't want to go the freezer bag cooking route. Seems a bit too wasteful and trash-generating for our preferences.

The evernew pasta pot Medium is a good size for me and my wife.

Lots of options, but personally would go with the 1.3 L Evernew if I was eating/sharing the same meals as a hiking partner. Burner could be a Caldera Cone, a canister stove if you prefer that, or even a woodburner with Esbit backup if you want to go UL with fuel weight.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

The Olicamp XTS is another good option. Inexpensive and very fuel efficient. Probably big enough for two people to use.

wife and i have been using one of these for years...remove the lid handle and use a small piece of aluminum tape folded over and stuck to the lid that is left over from making the pot cozy...

https://www.amazon.com/Stanco-GS1200...rds=grease+pot

Images

My wife and I have been using the same pot recommended by D2maine for years now.
    We just take turns eatting out of the pot
    We left the lid handle and just cut a small hole in the cozy cover
    It works well, is cheap and lasts a long time.
    What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by mkroberts96 View Post
    We were planning on cooking a double serving of whatever we're eating in the same pot and then splitting into our own respective bowls to eat. We might kill each other if we had to physically eat together out of one vessel but we also don't want to go the freezer bag cooking route. Seems a bit too wasteful and trash-generating for our preferences.
    Even if you eschew sharing from the pot, one of you can eat directly from the pot, saving the weight of a 2nd bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    The Olicamp XTS is another good option. Inexpensive and very fuel efficient. Probably big enough for two people to use.
    I like my Olicamp XTS. I use it with a high power alcohol stove. It's a 1L pot so a bit smaller than the ones listed above. You can decide if it's big enough for two. I use it for solo trips. Air bigger than I need for one. I wish they made a slightly smaller size.

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    It works well, is cheap and lasts a long time.
    What's not to like?
    I've got one too, but I wonder about the aluminum being hard to clean, if you do more than boil water in it. I haven't used aluminum at home in years and I think that's the reason. Any tricks for dealing with it in the field? Just make everything really soupy?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++