WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sharing the load

What's the lightest pack you've carried (lbs) because you've shared the load with family or friends?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    What's the lightest pack you've carried (lbs) because you've shared the load with family or friends?
    Tipi, wanna weigh in on this?
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

Journal Entries

I was lighter going solo, sharing the load meant carrying their fears - always heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by greensleep View Post
    Tipi, wanna weigh in on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I was lighter going solo, sharing the load meant carrying their fears - always heavier.
    "Going out with family and friends" is the crux. On the one hand such trips are short and never in the 15 to 24 day range so the pack can be lighter. OTOH if Little Mitten goes out with me I carry all her food and my food and most of her pack weight---but the trips are never longer than 5 days so I'm used to the weight.

"Sharing the load" never happens because no one wants to share my load, ever. Except that one time Gonzan and Hootyhoo and possibly Patman carried all my food bags just for sport.

My son carried my food bag for a long, steep day once. Saved me a few pounds. It was very nice.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    My son carried my food bag for a long, steep day once. Saved me a few pounds. It was very nice.
    Well played sir, tip of the hat to you!
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Yeah, kinda this, except the "fear" part. When I backpack with my wife, even sharing a stove, filter and tent, first aid and misc common gear, I always carry more weight than when solo, if only a bit. She is very petite, 110# or so, very strong for her weight, but I always feel bad when she carries anywhere near half the group gear weight, so I probably carry 70-80% of the group gear weight, which is more than I carry solo for the same stuff. Worth it!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Ever since my son started hiking with me at age 7, he ALWAYS had to at least carry his own pack, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and cloths. I was willing to carry everything else.

As he got older and moved into larger packs, I started having him share come of the common load. At first, just the hand saw, later added the cook wear.

Now that he's a teenager, he's able to share a larger portion of the load. For example, now when we go on a 4 night hike, I split the food and he carries some of it.

But is still winds up being a larger load hiking with him than without (so far) because hiking together still means a larger (heavier) tent compared to hiking alone.

++ New Posts ++