WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Dehydrating kimchi (Korean cabbage dish)?

Has anyone tried dehydrating meals made of kimchi, the Korean cabbage dish? Any other cabbage meals your might recommend?

Dehydrated kimchi works very well, as long as it's the cabbage type rather than the types made with things that don't dehydrate well, like cucumbers. Another cabbage meal that works very well is haluski.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    Dehydrated kimchi works very well, as long as it's the cabbage type rather than the types made with things that don't dehydrate well, like cucumbers. Another cabbage meal that works very well is haluski.
    Have you got a recipe for Haluski that dehydrates well - I think mine might have too much oil in it to dry well and stay safe.

Lazy Cabbage Rolls works well although the recipe I've got is for a group so you'd have to break it down to individual portions

Everything is dehydrated separately and then combined at prep time.

1 small/med head of cabbage
    2 large cans of tomato sauce (powdered)
    1 can of tomatoes
    1 lb lean ground beef
    1 package pre-cooked heat and serve rice (I cook and then dehydrate brown rice cause I won't use instant white)
    1/2 cup dried onion flakes (store bought or your own)
    salt pepper, garlic and paprika

Rehydrate cabbage, diced tomatoes, ground beef and onion in a single pot with enough water to cover by a couple of inches. Add water if needed. After 4 to 6 of soaking bring mixture to boil. If using dehydrated rice, add now, then simmer until cabbage is cooked. Drain water into a separate pot leaving enough liquid to come half way up the mix in the pot. Stir in tomato sauce a bit at a time. As the sauce thickens add back the reserved water while adding more tomato sauce. (Add package instant rice if using it). Add spices. Heat for another 10 to 15 minutes and add additional water if necessary.

You can also use dehydrated cabbage to make cole slaw although I haven't tried it out yet so won't vouch for it.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Have to remember this for my hubby who loves kimchi.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

++ New Posts ++