WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Class of 2011

Images

Default 2011 Thru-Hike

Plan was to head out 26 February 2010, but here I am in Kirkuk, Iraq for one more tour. Its all good though, but my departure date has been pushed back an entire year. 25 February 2011 is my new date. I retire from the Air Force after 20 years of service this coming May, so I don't think Iraq will be a problem in 2011! Just bought a house in Macon, Georgia and since I'll be retired, I should have plenty of time to do some multi-day hikes to prep for my attempt to thru-hike the A.T. in 2011. Heading NOBO and going solo. Hope to meet you folks on the trail! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year's to all!! W-W

Default 2011 Thru-Hike

World-Wide,

I retired in 2007 from the Army after my tour to Mosul. I will be starting April 4th 2011. Hope to see you there. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Stay Safe.

Thank you for your service.

Tumbleweed

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RETCW4 View Post
    World-Wide,

I retired in 2007 from the Army after my tour to Mosul. I will be starting April 4th 2011. Hope to see you there. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Stay Safe.

Thank you for your service.

Tumbleweed
    RETCW4: Thanks for serving my man! Definitely hope to catch you on the trail. For the time being I'll catch you on the WB threads!! W-W

My 16 year old is graduating HS a year early in 2010 so we plan on starting Somewhere around March 1st, 2011. Need to complete the trail in mid July to have her back in time to start college.

Grinch, sounds like you all will be having the "Hike of a Lifetime". I hope all goes well on your journey. Oh yea, Your 16 year is graduating? Thats great! Sounds like you have one smart cookie for a daughter...

Yeah it should be a good thing. She is homeschooled and I promised her that if she met her requirements in time we would attempt a thru hike. It's her graduation present. Be a good experience for her before starting college. She's been doing long distance hikes with me since she was 11 so this is something that has been on the back of her mind for quite awhile.

I will head north from Springer late Feb to early Mar 2011 being a Norse Woman I can go when its colder and the advantage is advoiding some mud and it would further assure finishing in time
    I have been thinking of a AT thru for a few years now. I have resolved a couple of issues already- minor knee surgery and insurance, been saving $ but need more- I will meet this goal no problem, Now need to see if I can manage OK when I come back and have no job- maybe an early retirement is what will happen
    Have most gear already- always looking lighter, will go solo- but is one ever really alone on the AT, more plans to make- knowing plans are not in concrete on the AT, I will likely have some support up to Harpers Ferry
    all for now Norse Woman

Journal Entries

Default 2011

I will be starting sometime in March 2011 and I am on a tight budget also. I feel your pain but it will be worth it once we are on the trail.
    Mooch

Journal Entries

I will be starting sometime in March 2011. I feel the pain of being on a tight budget but it will be worth it once we are on the trail.

W-W

You'll be starting a little earlier then I, but hope our paths will cross. I am making my scedule and doing shakedown hikes.

If you need anything over there sned me a PM.

RETCW4

AT NOBO Thru-Hike - Mar 2011 centsless's Avatar
    Images

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that i'm planning on leaving late Feb or Early March '11 NOBO on a thru-hike. Right now i'm solo, but am looking for a small group so that we can keep the 'mental toughness' up.

I'm in the process of getting all my gear, trying to go very lightweight. Have been on research mode/planning for the past few week.

Wish to see most of you there!

Default Maine to Georgia 2011

Hello my name is Mike and i am currently in the Marine Corps but i am contemplating getting out in about a year and a half. That would put me back in NH in June of 2011. I was wondering if there was anyone out there planning a thru hike around that time from Maine to Georgia and if they would be willing to take me under their wing. And possible see me through as far as taking me to the store so i could purchase everything and just a good person to go with. I will say one thing about myself I don't quit and you can rely on me so if there is anyone out there that would be willing i would really appreciate it. I know it is alot to ask but i promise you i wont give up on you. And if you are willing my email is [email protected]

Thanks
    Mike B

Quote Originally Posted by NorseWoman View Post
    I will head north from Springer late Feb to early Mar 2011 being a Norse Woman I can go when its colder and the advantage is advoiding some mud and it would further assure finishing in time
    I have been thinking of a AT thru for a few years now. I have resolved a couple of issues already- minor knee surgery and insurance, been saving $ but need more- I will meet this goal no problem, Now need to see if I can manage OK when I come back and have no job- maybe an early retirement is what will happen
    Have most gear already- always looking lighter, will go solo- but is one ever really alone on the AT, more plans to make- knowing plans are not in concrete on the AT, I will likely have some support up to Harpers Ferry
    all for now Norse Woman
    I had the minor surgery in Nov. The knee is getting stronger. I will be ready for 2011. See you out there.
    You are never too old.

Fritz -

I'll be leaving on April 4th 2011. Hope to catch you on the trail. Can't wait. I'm getting obsessed in my planning.

Tumbleweed.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RETCW4 View Post
    Fritz -

I'll be leaving on April 4th 2011. Hope to catch you on the trail. Can't wait. I'm getting obsessed in my planning.

Tumbleweed.
    Don't get too obsessed. A lot changes once you get out there.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Guess I should throw my lot in and say I'm planning on being in the 2011 class being a solo NOBO!
    Hoping to start early to mid March, thinking more 14/15th though.

Will be coming from the UK but staying with my dad in Florida for a couple days before setting out. Planning and prepping now and very excited about it.

Hope to see some of you on the trail!

Images

Default thru hike

Quote Originally Posted by GrinchMT View Post
    Yeah it should be a good thing. She is homeschooled and I promised her that if she met her requirements in time we would attempt a thru hike. It's her graduation present. Be a good experience for her before starting college. She's been doing long distance hikes with me since she was 11 so this is something that has been on the back of her mind for quite awhile.
    Grinch,
    in 2006, I met a father with daughter and son. The hike was the daughters HS graduation present, the 12y.o. son begged to go along, so they home schooled him on the trail. They all made it to the end, the 12y.o. with a broken wrist, cast and all on top of Mt.K.

Good luck and have a great time. I'm looking at a 2011 thru hike also, I had hoped to head back out this year, but that just won't work, so 2011 here I come.
    HeartFire

I am planning on leaving from Springer in early February.

Images

430 days until I leave Springer!!!!

Images

Default 3rd Times a Charm

Dovetail and I (Traildust) will be making our 3rd attempt in 2011. Economy should improve by then, lots of loose ends tied, a pup grown into a great trail dog. Ky's Long Trail in great shape.

A few section hikes to get Dovetail in the mood. One more attempt before we move on the Florida Trail and other long trails. So many trails so little time. Nobo in March of 2011. To leave earlier is a little tough for Dovetail given her lack of enthusiasm for cold weather.

No we will not do the Approach trail. Been there done that. Yes we will stay at hiker hostel - Josh and Leigh's place is the perfect place to start if you've already experience Amicalola Falls Lodge once in life.

Starting the computer countdown clock now.
    Discover Kentucky's Long Tail. Join The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain, grow and preserve this national resource.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++