WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

It all boils down to if he will do the Approach Trail, after all, that is the TRUE start of the A.T..........and deep down, everyone knows it!

nope. the approach is a blue blazed side trail

Blue blazed....Gray blazed....it doesn't matter....it's still the start of the A.T.....

I believe it is past time to extend the A.T. to the true Southern terminus......at Flagg Mountain, Alabama.....

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Speaking of FKT, has there ever been a Fattest Known Time?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Speaking of FKT, has there ever been a Fattest Known Time?
    4:20 I think

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    4:20 I think
    Ok, smarty pants: When a pitcher throws a baseball and the batter makes contact, the ball goes from going in one direction to the opposite direction -- therefore there must be some amount of time (albeit very small amount) where the ball is completely motionless.

So how much time is the ball motionless? And how is it stopped when it's in contact with a moving object?

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    Blue blazed....Gray blazed....it doesn't matter....it's still the start of the A.T.....
    nope. it starts/ends on springer mtn. where the white blazes begin/end. i am right, you are wrong. period

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Ok, smarty pants: When a pitcher throws a baseball and the batter makes contact, the ball goes from going in one direction to the opposite direction -- therefore there must be some amount of time (albeit very small amount) where the ball is completely motionless.

So how much time is the ball motionless? And how is it stopped when it's in contact with a moving object?
    forty-two?
    hikers gonna hike

Images

what if the ball dosnt become momentarly motionless, but instead is momentarly going two directions at once?

I think it's a Trick question, the ball and bat never really touch, in fact I'm not really sitting in this chair I'm sitting in, I'm hovering just above it.

A baseball traveling at 90 mph going north collides with a bat moving south at just over 100 mph and reverses direction under acceleration. The time it takes for the ball to reverse direction after initial contact at these speeds is approximately 0.7 milliseconds and exerts a pressure on the ball of nearly 4,000 lbs. The baseball, however, deforms and is no longer a true sphere, which complicates the calculations of the moment where the ball's forward motion stops. The slower the pitch and/or the slower the bat travel, the shorter that time becomes. Since the sum of momentum between the ball and the bat is less, the ball's travel once hit will not be as far as the example.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    nope. it starts/ends on springer mtn. where the white blazes begin/end. i am right, you are wrong. period

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QriZJ-X3wbU

BTW, Rocketsocks PM'd me that answer but had a mistake in his calculations, he had 3,600 lbs of force.....

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    BTW, Rocketsocks PM'd me that answer but had a mistake in his calculations, he had 3,600 lbs of force.....
    i had 3,600 lbs. of somethin' going on....but it weren't force

Journal Entries

No message
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-22-2015 at 09:38.

Images

I'm pretty sure, in fact, 100% sure one has to be an Ultra runner or ex ultra runner to understand FKT's and the motivations for their attempts, and the folks who attempt them. I'm also pretty sure most of y'all are not nor ever have been nor ever will be ultra runners.

That being said, good thread, interesting browsing and a few actually good thoughts, IMHO.

I'm guessing FKT's are going to be the constant wintertime discussion on WB this year?

I think there may be several reasons to dislike FKT's, but suggesting it has a large impact on the party culture is being a wee bit theatrical. Jurek gained notoriety because what he did was different from the norm. That makes headlines. His champagne party was merely the bulletpoint in which the administrative hiking community could point their finger and say "This entitlement is ruining the trail".

Back to if I think FKT's are right or wrong? I think they are fun to follow and if done right (Anish), can contribute to the positive aspects of the trail.
    Last edited by capehiker; 12-22-2015 at 12:59.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I'm pretty sure, in fact, 100% sure one has to be an Ultra runner or ex ultra runner to understand FKT's and the motivations for their attempts, and the folks who attempt them. I'm also pretty sure most of y'all are not nor ever have been nor ever will be ultra runners.

That being said, good thread, interesting browsing and a few actually good thoughts, IMHO.
    i've only run 5 ultras

Why shouldn't anyone be entitled to do the trail at whatever pace they want?
    For whatever reason?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++