WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

http://news.yahoo.com/drinking-coffe...154837933.html

Another positive study on coffee (except the cancer part), not that I put much faith in these findings, but then again I'm a coffee drinker...

Excerpt:

“Coffee contains numerous biologically active compounds, including phenolic acids, potassium, and caffeine,” said lead author Dr. Erikka Loftfield of the National Cancer Institute in Rockville, Maryland.Many studies have found that coffee consumption is associated with lower risk of overall and heart-related mortality, Loftfield told Reuters Health by email.

The researchers used data from a previous study on 90,317 adults without cancer or history of cardiovascular disease who were followed from 1998 through 2009. They had reported their coffee intake, along with other dietary and health details, at the start of the study.

By 2009, about 8,700 people had died. After accounting for other factors like smoking, the researchers found that coffee drinkers were less likely to have died during the study than nondrinkers.

The risk of death was lowest for those who drank four to five cups of coffee per day. A similar association was seen among drinkers of decaffeinated coffee as well, according to the results in American Journal of Epidemiology.

Coffee drinkers had a reduced risk of death from heart disease, chronic respiratory diseases, diabetes, pneumonia and influenza and suicide, but not cancer, the researchers found.

“Although coffee drinking has also been inversely associated with incidence of certain cancers, like liver, in epidemiological studies, we did not observe an association between coffee and overall cancer mortality,” Loftfield said. “This may be because coffee reduces mortality risk for some cancers but not others.”

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

I had read an article on google news that raved about coffee's benefits.."drink as much as you can." I was drinking my (n)th cup for the day and a nodule literally grew on my thyroid gland while i sipped the coffee.

Be careful...these studies are subsidized by the coffee industry and so are the press releases. Too many of any chemical is no bueno.

FWIW,I read somewhere a long time ago that "decaf" has half the caffeine of regular coffee and it is washed in chemicals as part of the "decaffenation" process.Death from brain aneuryisms is likely much quicker than from prostate cancer so pick your poison.I like coffee and tea so I drink at least half a pot per day.The real killer out there that nobody wants to talk about is SUGAR and what's even worse-SUGAR SUBSTITUTES......

Does coffee ice cream count?

Coffee is good for my mental health.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Coffee is good for my mental health.
    Coffee is REQUIRED for my mental health. Pure addict here. And proud of it. Also addicted to beer and hiking. Two out of three of these activities are apparently "good for you". Not bad.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    FWIW,I read somewhere a long time ago that "decaf" has half the caffeine of regular coffee and it is washed in chemicals as part of the "decaffenation" process.Death from brain aneuryisms is likely much quicker than from prostate cancer so pick your poison.I like coffee and tea so I drink at least half a pot per day.The real killer out there that nobody wants to talk about is SUGAR and what's even worse-SUGAR SUBSTITUTES......

The real killers are drinking alcohol, smoking, obesity, inactivity, and poor diet.

Obesity is probably the worst, it will shorten your life far more than anything else. You will see 80 yr old smokers and drinkers, but not obese people.
    You seldom see an obese man over 65

But, the worst of the things you can do only shorten life by 10 yrs on avg too.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-22-2015 at 10:20.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Coffee is REQUIRED for my mental health. Pure addict here. And proud of it. Also addicted to beer and hiking. Two out of three of these activities are apparently "good for you". Not bad.
    I once tried to quit coffee. This was back when I worked in an office and had about ten people who reported to me. On day 3 of my plan, I found a $20 Starbucks gift card on my desk when I arrived for work. Message received.

I'm looking at caffeine alternatives like chocolate covered espresso beans or cold Via since I'm going stoveless next year.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    The real killers are drinking alcohol, smoking, obesity, inactivity, and poor diet.

Obesity is probably the worst, it will shorten your life far more than anything else. You will see 80 yr old smokers and drinkers, but not obese people.
    You seldom see an obese man over 65

But, the worst of the things you can do only shorten life by 10 yrs on avg too.
    Agree on the rest, but I can find you a zillion "scientific studies" (validity, who knows, no one on here does, probably no one does) that will dispute the alcohol thing, particularly beer and wine, when consumed in very modest quantities.

I've been considering ordering this:

http://www.funraniumlabs.com/the-bla...-of-the-earth/

Journal Entries

Agree on the rest, but I can find you a zillion "scientific studies" (validity, who knows, no one on here does, probably no one does) that will dispute the alcohol thing, particularly beer and wine, when consumed in very modest quantities.

The medical establishments view of modest quantities, is much less than the guy that has a couple of beers every day after work.

I will simply refer to the World Health Organization:

Key facts 1

• Worldwide, 3.3 million deaths every year result from harmful use of alcohol,2 this represent 5.9 % of all deaths.
    • The harmful use of alcohol is a causal factor in more than 200 disease and injury conditions.
    • Overall 5.1 % of the global burden of disease and injury is attributable to alcohol, as measured in disability- adjusted life years (DALYs).3
    • Alcohol consumption causes death and disability relatively early in life. In the age group 20 – 39 years approximately 25 % of the total deaths are alcohol-attributable.
    • There is a causal relationship between harmful use of alcohol and a range of mental and behavioural disorders, other noncommunicable conditions as well as injuries.
    • The latest causal relationships have been established between harmful drinking and incidence of infectious diseases such as tuberculosis as well as the course of HIV/AIDS.
    • Beyond health consequences, the harmful use of alcohol brings significant social and economic losses to individuals and society at large.

My point is simply, just like we have hikers with a 20 lb pack using cuben stuffsaks, or cutting handle off of toothbrush, youve got people worried about all kinds of other things, while ignoring the greatest risks to their health .
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-22-2015 at 12:17.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    The medical establishments view of modest quantities, is much less than the guy that has a couple of beers every day after work.

I will simply refer to the World Health Organization:

Key facts 1

• Worldwide, 3.3 million deaths every year result from harmful use of alcohol,2 this represent 5.9 % of all deaths.
    • The harmful use of alcohol is a causal factor in more than 200 disease and injury conditions.
    • Overall 5.1 % of the global burden of disease and injury is attributable to alcohol, as measured in disability- adjusted life years (DALYs).3
    • Alcohol consumption causes death and disability relatively early in life. In the age group 20 – 39 years approximately 25 % of the total deaths are alcohol-attributable.
    • There is a causal relationship between harmful use of alcohol and a range of mental and behavioural disorders, other noncommunicable conditions as well as injuries.
    • The latest causal relationships have been established between harmful drinking and incidence of infectious diseases such as tuberculosis as well as the course of HIV/AIDS.
    • Beyond health consequences, the harmful use of alcohol brings significant social and economic losses to individuals and society at large.

My point is simply, just like we have hikers with a 20 lb pack using cuben stuffsaks, or cutting handle off of toothbrush, youve got people worried about all kinds of other things, while ignoring the greatest risks to their health .
    I don't dispute any of those facts at all, and the irresponsible use of alcohol is sad, indeed. I have had direct experience with this in close family and friends, as it sounds like you have as well.

But note that in almost every line, the word "harmful" is used as a qualifier before "use" or "drinking". You stated in the earlier post that alcohol was a killer with no qualifications. I was merely pointing the responsible use of alcohol can actually be of some health benefit, at least according to what I called "scientific studies", again, taken with a grain of salt, but I do believe there is some truth to the benefits of modest drinking.

Registered Offender

I'm looking at caffeine alternatives like chocolate covered espresso beans or cold Via since I'm going stoveless next year.
    This is how I'd end up off coffee/caffeine altogether...one too many stove-less hikes. Damn lightweight approach! I realized the drug was no longer required to function once the initial withdrawal effects diminished. The trade-off though was that I never got to experience those early morning sunrises again!

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    This is how I'd end up off coffee/caffeine altogether...one too many stove-less hikes. Damn lightweight approach! I realized the drug was no longer required to function once the initial withdrawal effects diminished. The trade-off though was that I never got to experience those early morning sunrises again!
    The withdrawal symptoms for me are unbelievably horrible. The last place I'd want to be withdrawing for caffeine is on the trail. And I can't bring myself to do so off trail. It actually pisses me off because I don't like being dependent on a substance. I quit tobacco and alcohol long ago with zero problems other than not being able to partake in social situations. No physical withdrawal. There should be warning labels for caffeine!

Journal Entries

The withdrawal symptoms for me are unbelievably horrible. The last place I'd want to be withdrawing for caffeine is on the trail. And I can't bring myself to do so off trail. It actually pisses me off because I don't like being dependent on a substance. I quit tobacco and alcohol long ago with zero problems other than not being able to partake in social situations. No physical withdrawal. There should be warning labels for caffeine!

I drink more coffee than anyone I know.
    I like something warm to sip at work, and at home
    I drink it right up till bed time

I do without it fine. No withdrawal symptoms. I just like to have it. I dont bring it on trail, too much trouble.

I have known people that stopped because they said they got headaches on weekend when without it.

I kind of think its mental.

Some die healthy. Some die happy. All die. Life without coffee would be a less happy life. This is a quality of life issue. Not going to read any study. Don't care. My life. My happiness. My coffee.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries

I don't dispute any of those facts at all, and the irresponsible use of alcohol is sad, indeed. I have had direct experience with this in close family and friends, as it sounds like you have as well.

But note that in almost every line, the word "harmful" is used as a qualifier before "use" or "drinking". You stated in the earlier post that alcohol was a killer with no qualifications. I was merely pointing the responsible use of alcohol can actually be of some health benefit, at least according to what I called "scientific studies", again, taken with a grain of salt, but I do believe there is some truth to the benefits of modest drinking.

Yes some quasi studies show reduced heart disease risk with mild alcohol intake. Not to be confused with health risk
    Alcohol consumption is associated with many, many diseases, including colorectal cancer. The WHO has stated point blank...there is no safe level of alcohol consumption.

If you live long enough, somethings going to kill you.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-22-2015 at 17:23.

There was an article in the WSJ today about how even relatively light drinkers face some elevated risk of alcohol related dementia later in life. Yes something has to kill us but I gave up alcohol years ago because even a small risk isn't worth the rewards for me. Yet I still drink lots of coffee and occasionally drink soda.

Another study.... Title: Regular Caffeine Consumption Does Not Result in Extra Heartbeats, Study Shows

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2016/01/40...ts-study-shows

Excerpt:

Contrary to current clinical belief, regular caffeine consumption does not lead to extra heartbeats, which, while common, can lead in rare cases to heart- or stroke-related morbidity and mortality, according to UC San Francisco researchers.The study, which measured the chronic consumption of caffeinated products over a 12-month period, rather than acute consumption, appears in the January 2016 issue of the Journal of the American Heart Association. It is the largest to date to have evaluated dietary patterns in relation to extra heartbeats.

“Clinical recommendations advising against the regular consumption of caffeinated products to prevent disturbances of the heart’s cardiac rhythm should be reconsidered, as we may unnecessarily be discouraging consumption of items like chocolate, coffee and tea that might actually have cardiovascular benefits,” said senior author Gregory Marcus, MD, MAS, a UCSF Health cardiologist and director of clinical research in the UCSF Division of Cardiology. “Given our recent work demonstrating that extra heartbeats can be dangerous, this finding is especially relevant.”

Guidelines Based on Decades-Old Studies

Excessive premature atrial contractions (PACs) have been shown to result in atrial fibrillation, stroke and death, while excessive premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) have been shown to result in increased heart failure, coronary artery disease and death. Both abnormalities have been tied to caffeine consumption through studies and trials, but these studies were performed several decades ago and did not use PACs and PVCs as a primary outcome.

Food in general has all sorts of healthy and unhealthy compounds/components. Some are good for you, some are bad for you. People are making a living on these garbage studies. This compound found in this food, it's the new superfood! Never mind that the study was conducted decades ago and the initial premise for the theory is flat out inconclusive.

Here's an interesting article about antioxidants, just as an example.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++