WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Fingerboard shelter report

Stopped at fingerboard for lunch on the way from bald rock shelter, before taking the AT back to car at elk pen. The log book is full, roof seems to be in good shape, no food box, trash in both fireplaces, didn't walk down to spring source, but given that its August, doubtful it was flowing, tank up at surebridge brook if going NOBO, pretty area, lots of places to camp out near the shelter area, but no water and no privies, the bane of Harriman shelters!!
    Some pics:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376839213.230941.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376839232.742564.jpg

Being from "around these parts" you probably know as well as I do, that maintaining these shelters just a short drive north of NYC can be challenging - to say the least! The NY/NJ trail Conference volunteers certainly have their work cut out for them. Have passed through this area many times in the past to find shelters/facilities trashed etc.

Images

Its one of those shelters that probably get soo much traffic, being dayhikers and backpackers..a shame because it would be a nice shelter, but logistically probably one the most difficult to maintain

Images

Quote Originally Posted by A.T.Lt:1518451
    Its one of those shelters that probably get soo much traffic, being dayhikers and backpackers..a shame because it would be a nice shelter, but logistically probably one the most difficult to maintain
    it is a nice shelter and its usually pretty clean

Images

I was at the Wildcat Shelter last week ,and must say the access trail is better in the sense you arent trampling through the water source anymore, but it was a MESS! i packed out as much garbage in my pack as I could and it was still a wreck

Thanks for the report. I will be heading there in Sept. Was there last year. Nice grounds and a lot of tent sites. Heading to West Mountain shelter next weekend. Always some sort of mess going on up there. But I will report back and let folks who may be interested.

Images

Stopped by Fingerboard on 2-23-17.
    New roof installed.
    fingerboard 2-23-17.jpg

Celebrated my Presidents Day at the Fingerboard Shelter...

View from inside the shelter...

Looking up at the Fingerboard shelter from down at the watering hole...

Picked out a plot for my personal shelter. Plenty of snow upon arrival...

Several hours of 50+ degree weather and voila, no more snow...

The snow melt making the Fingerboard spring great again...

FYI, a bear was spotted on 2 different incidents on the weekend of May 5th. Once on the trail heading almost towards the shelter and another at the shelter itself when hikers were there. Bear was not easily deterred and hikers moved along.

An another Fingerboard report:
    I stayed there Sat, May 20th, 2017. The shelter was full of boyscouts, backpackers, and a group of Army soldiers (30+ people). Everyone hung there food (no bear boxes, but there should be) and trash was picked up. Around 4am a bear came in the shelter area, climbed a tree and stole my bear bag. We tried to scare it off, but it wasn't phased. I lost the bag which contained all my food, cook set, stove, etc. It came back around 1 hour later and was searching the area again, walking within a foot of a hammock camper and wasn't phased by humans. This is a problematic bear and I will be calling Harriman State Park today to report it. According to the shelter log, this has been happening regularly for a few weeks. One women in the log recorded the bear walking up to her at the shelter while she was packing and took the food bag that was sitting with her other gear. Be warned and if possible, avoid Fingerboard until this bear is relocated.

Any update on the bear issue at Fingerboard?

Images

Hi All,

Any 2019 intel on whether there have been any reports of problem bears around Fingerboard?

I'm going to be hiking from Bear Mountain to DWG next month, and am hoping to stay at this shelter.

Thanks.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

I stayed there last Thursday....no indication of a bear. Hung our food a good distance, but saw no evidence of it being bothered.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

I will be staying there in a couple weeks.
    If water source is dry, is there a trail down to Tiorati Lake (@500 yards?) rather than N on the trail to Arden Valley Rd?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by smithjv View Post
    I will be staying there in a couple weeks.
    If water source is dry, is there a trail down to Tiorati Lake (@500 yards?) rather than N on the trail to Arden Valley Rd?
    If things keep up like they have been, you’re more likely to have to worry about dealing with too much water. Just given the rain we’ve had recently I can’t imagine the source at Fingerboard drying up any time soon.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    If things keep up like they have been, you’re more likely to have to worry about dealing with too much water. Just given the rain we’ve had recently I can’t imagine the source at Fingerboard drying up any time soon.
    and rain is in the forecast for almost every day during the next two weeks. Enjoy!
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

What water source? We filled up at the brook near Island Pond, then at Tiorati. Wasn't aware the shelter had a source.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

There used to be a spring downhill a bit. It was scarily near a privy. This was long, long ago. Certainly getting water before and after makes sense. It would be easy to cook at the same time, too.
    Last edited by Feral Bill; 04-27-2019 at 19:06.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    What water source? We filled up at the brook near Island Pond, then at Tiorati. Wasn't aware the shelter had a source.
    If you’re sitting in the shelter facing out, there is a spring to the right and a little ways down the hill. I want to say it’s less than 100 yards from the shelter, but I can’t remember exactly. The water from the spring then flows down the hill to the bottom and there is usually some water to be found down where the land levels off as well.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    If you’re sitting in the shelter facing out, there is a spring to the right and a little ways down the hill. I want to say it’s less than 100 yards from the shelter, but I can’t remember exactly. The water from the spring then flows down the hill to the bottom and there is usually some water to be found down where the land levels off as well.
    It was probably frozen when we made our trip, and I remember being told to bring water. I'm pretty sure the guides don't list it, but good to know, Thanks Elf. My son enjoyed the shelter so there's a possibility of a return trip.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++