WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries

I hope you're right Lone Wolf and you should know as you live there but hey, those two dumb ******** deserve a good 'ol fashion kickin! No room for that kind of talk ....Glad they are shut down, ruining the good name of Damascus i.e. friendliest town on the AT.

I hope this thread gets deleted pretty soon. One of the things I enjoy about this site is the focus on hiking and the rare instance of political or controversial threads. I find it sad that the OP seems bent on casting the town of Damascus and it's residents in a negative light. Take the politics some where else.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
    Searching Southern Poverty Law Center's website I noticed a symbol for a Neo-Nazi organization on their hate map near Damascus. Searching further, it seems that the head of the National Alliance lives near Laurel Bloomery, Tennessee, which is about six miles south of Damascus. It therefore seems that the incident involving the owners of Hey Joe's, may reflect a greater local issue. Check out these links:

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/...cking-employee

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-h...ional-alliance

Also I have read in the past of police claiming what appear to be a hate crimes as drug deals gone bad. Check this out:

https://jewishjournal-com.cdn.amppro...fred-wright%2F

1. SPLC is a hate group and should not be taken seriously.

2. Your 2 links about the Nazi group basically say that the group has dissolved and is broke. One of your links is about a 71 year old man who punched another man 5 years ago. At their Nazi club. Not sure what either of those links have to do with the AT.

3. I was unfamiliar with the Hey Joe's incident. According to news reports a guy who knew of the owners previously stopped in. Nobody knows what he did or said to the owners prior to the video. The video shows them spouting anti-Jewish insults and one of them slapping the dude's phone that he was filming with. The guys obviously come across as hateful, however given the hiker's admission he knew of them before he stopped in could indicate he was there to talk **** and cause a scene. Without seeing what transpired prior to the video it is hard to say if the hiker was a victim or an instigator/attention seeker. Based on the fact that this story apparently went viral and Hey Joe's racked up 1000+ 1-star reviews on Facebook and went out of business indicates there is probably more to this story.

4. And now we have someone joining WhiteBlaze to start a thread that has nothing to do with anything trail related in the last 18 months, and an assault between two guys on social security that occurred 5 years ago and had nothing to do with the trail

Conclusion: new poster is likely either affiliated with SPLC or the guy who was involved with the Hey Joe's incident.

If nothing else, thanks for letting us know that Damascus is safer than ever since Hey Joe's is closed and the Nazi club is all in jail, dead, or at the assisted living facility.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    SPLC is an activist political hate group not to be trusted as a source of objectivity. It seeks to silence other groups that don't share SPLC's liberal biases by labeling those groups as hate groups. This is a politically slanted thread which has little to nothing to do with hiking or Damascus VA.
    Same can easily be said of the group currently in the White House. Agreed this has little to do with hiking, if there is an issue in Damascus its for the residents living there to tame or live with. Time for moderators to yank this thread.

I agree....the SPLC is a hate group....but they are not on the list as being a hate group....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
    Muddy Waters, you showed your colors.
    If that means i have a brain, and am not swayed by baseless arguements, or emotion.......you got me.

But thats what people that stir up $h!t are all about...emotion. and partial truths. Not to mention childish labelling and name calling of anyone that disagrees.

If you want to present some facts that backup the title, not conjecture...have at it. We will wait.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-09-2019 at 10:29.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Really? A political opinion piece cited as authority? LOL
    the details of the lawsuit and the settlement are political opinion? really? LOL

is this political opinion too?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/22/u...n-resigns.html

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Bigills View Post
    I hope this thread gets deleted pretty soon. One of the things I enjoy about this site is the focus on hiking and the rare instance of political or controversial threads. I find it sad that the OP seems bent on casting the town of Damascus and it's residents in a negative light. Take the politics some where else.
    If you want to see a so-called backpacking forum site ruined by political talk with minimal backpacking thrown in, check out Backpacker Magazines forum here---

http://bpbasecamp.freeforums.net/threads/recent

This is old news.....more than a year and a half ago. What's the point in bringing it up again?

Images

So, taking actions of character and integrity,-- such as making a public apology, paying for a single injury, and dismissing an official for mis-conduct,-- and twisting that into "they are the hate group, not to be trusted" is your gambit? If only actual hate groups did anything of integrity. No, SPLC is nothing like the KKK, Neo-Nazis, not even the GOP.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    the details of the lawsuit and the settlement are political opinion? really? LOL

is this political opinion too?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/22/u...n-resigns.html
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    So, taking actions of character and integrity,-- such as making a public apology, paying for a single injury, and dismissing an official for mis-conduct,-- and twisting that into "they are the hate group, not to be trusted" is your gambit? If only actual hate groups did anything of integrity. No, SPLC is nothing like the KKK, Neo-Nazis, not even the GOP.
    i don't believe i'm the one that called them a hate group, i just said I don't look to them as a reliable source on these matters.

they clearly have an agenda and a bias, which is what lead to the lawsuit and settlement.

I'm not sticking my hand into the jaws of a gator.

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Bigills View Post
    What he said! Please drop this thread. Very silly, and nothing good can come from it.
    I've learned....
    That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

Doesn't anyone find it alittle odd with all the churches in town there's no synagogue?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The gimp3 View Post
    Doesn't anyone find it alittle odd with all the churches in town there's no synagogue?
    Not at all.
    The tri cities has one.

It just depends on population. Damascus is like 800 people. That might be 12 jews if the us average 1.4% of population applied. It could easily be less.

My best buddy is greek orthodox....they drive 60 miles to church. And live in town of 50,000.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-09-2019 at 23:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    That incident at Hey Joes was blown way out of proportion
    Like most things this day in time.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Like most things this day in time.
    the so-called "victim" instigated the whole thing. i've known him 10+ years. he pulled the jew card once before here in town

Images

Here's what I think (like you care)...

1. The OP put together a reasonable post to draw interest towards a sensitive subject, and...
    2. Those inclined to be sensitive about it, were. I think sometimes folks get sensitive to the initiation of opinions on potential oppressive restriction, when they should just let these opinions have some air without such an immediate response - and such a response inevitably makes you look bad, like you're clearly on the side of oppressive behavior, when in fact you're not. (@MW)
    3. SPLC is basically a good organization that has gone astray - hoping the lawsuit and resulting leadership change gets it back on track. Like a lot of "watchdog" organizations, I do think there is a tendency to justify actions and the resulting collateral damage of those actions without proper reflection. Otherwise known as Group Think.
    4. A backpacking forum probably isn't the place for this discussion, but while we're on the subject...
    5. How else are we supposed to be alerted to info that potentially could be very affecting to any one of us?
    6. On the subject of "liberal biases", perhaps its good to remember that as a country, we should be biased towards liberty for all. I find the term "liberal biases" as its typically used to be offensive name-calling. Its used to brand people as some sort of idiot and devalue their opinions. In theory, we should all be liberally biased.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    6. On the subject of "liberal biases", perhaps its good to remember that as a country, we should be biased towards liberty for all. I find the term "liberal biases" as its typically used to be offensive name-calling. Its used to brand people as some sort of idiot and devalue their opinions. In theory, we should all be liberally biased.
    like so many, the word "liberal" has been twisted all out of shape. in other words, many "liberal policies" that one might support or "liberal biases" one may have are not actual liberal in any normal sense.

for example, the SPLC's handling of Maajid Nawaz.... liberal? hardly.

but they are a "liberal organization" and the bias shown by their handling of the situation is indeed in line with what many other "Liberals" would do and think.

The Southern Poverty Law Center is a well, respected non-profit organization, which strives to protect civil rights of all people. Anti-Semitism in the U.S. and around the world is very real, the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting being the most recent example.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++