WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Town's Inn, Harper's Ferry

Next month I begin a long section hike out of Harper's Ferry. The Town's Inn looks to be very convenient and reasonably priced. Anybody have any thoughts about what this place is like? It doesn't seem to be mentioned by hikers coming through HF but maybe I've missed their comments.

Doc

This establishment opened for business after the northbound thru hiker season was essentially over. Hence the reason for no reports. I live 1.5 miles from downtown and frequent the area on a regular basis. With that said, I have not seen hikers congregating around the complex and often question whether hikers use the establishment at all. The word obviously has not gotten out about this place. Wish I could have been more helpful.

Images

Just googled it, since I may be heading up that way in a couple of months. Looks like a nice place. I'd like to learn more.

Dovecote is right, the place is so new few hikers have stayed there. It's a very nice place, but not as roomy as a typical A.T. hostel. The owner, Karan Townsend, is very interested in catering to hikers.

The Hilltop House Inn--until the beginning of this year the most popular lodging for hikers in Harpers Ferry--is closed for renovations until at least 2010.

Laurie P.
    ATC

Default Is Miss Townsend...

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    The owner, Karan Townsend, is very interested in catering to hikers.

ATC
    A somewhat heavy-set redheaded woman in her early 40s? I wonder if I met her in HF in 2008.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    A somewhat heavy-set redheaded woman in her early 40s? I wonder if I met her in HF in 2008.
    No. When I met her she was slim and had dark hair.

I went through HF last May while the Inn was being renovated and Karen noticed my friend and I walking past with packs on. She came out and told us all about her plans for the Towns Inn. Sounds like a nice place. She was very enthusiastic about hikers and wanted their business.
    Mobilis in Mobili

Does any one have a phone# or e-mail address.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Robin View Post
    Does any one have a phone# or e-mail address.
    877-489-2447 [email protected]

I too am heading out of HF, but in May. I was thinking of staying at the Hilltop, but found out it was being renovated into a 5-Star resort. Bummer for future hikers. I will be staying at the Town's Inn, so I will add my report when I get back.

Images

The link below from Trail Journals is from thru hiker Certains journal she talks about her stay at The Towns Inn, and recommends it to hikers.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=227276
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Furlough beat me to the link suggestion. I was also their the end of May last year and they were trying to figure what hikers needed so they could cater to them.

If you need a place to stay, Try the Comfort Inn In Hapers Ferry, WV.

Small hotel; though clean; friendly and helpful staff; convenient to restaurants and stores.

Comfort Inn

U.S. Highway 340 and Union Street
    P.O. Box 980
    Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
    United States

When I was in Hapers Ferry I stayed at the Comfort Inn. There where several other section hikers staying there. Give them a try.

Comfort Inn
    US 340 & Union St.
    Harpers Ferry, WV, US 25425
    Phone: (304) 535-6391

Images

I stayed at the Towne's Inn last month at the end of a section hike. Karen was wuite friendly and the Hiker room was nice. Three bunk beds with curtains to block light if you're an early sleeper. I was grabbing a commuter train in to DC the next morning. The station is just down the hill from the Inn.

I'd stay there again.

ed

Does anyone know if this place offers showers for non-guests (for a fee of course)? I'm cycling to HF on the C&O Canal and would like to shower before boarding the AMTRAK back to Western MD.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Does anyone know if this place offers showers for non-guests (for a fee of course)? I'm cycling to HF on the C&O Canal and would like to shower before boarding the AMTRAK back to Western MD.
    dude. jump in 1 of 2 rivers. free

I have stayed at the Town’s Inn several times over the years. You can’t beat $33 a night in Harper’sFerry. When I visited May 2011 therewere rumors that the place was up for sale. Don’t know how true they are, but that was the talk around thetown. I hope that they decide to stay onor someone who cares about through-hikers will take over and not ruin the place(turn it into a $150 a night foo-foo B&B).

Images

Great place. Great helpful people. It is a welcome addition. It always surprised me that Harpers Ferry the home of the ATC was so lacking in hikers services. With out a lot of schlepping around the Towns Inn offers bunks showers laundry. Its really a B&b with a hiker bunk room. HF does have plenty of food and pubs but Karen Town really filled a need. I haven't been there since 2008 and I think there's a hostel too now? Anybody?
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    Great place. Great helpful people. It is a welcome addition. It always surprised me that Harpers Ferry the home of the ATC was so lacking in hikers services. With out a lot of schlepping around the Towns Inn offers bunks showers laundry. Its really a B&b with a hiker bunk room. HF does have plenty of food and pubs but Karen Town really filled a need. I haven't been there since 2008 and I think there's a hostel too now? Anybody?
    Bamboo - yes a new Hostel: Teahorse B&B / Hostel
    1312 Washington St.
    Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
    phone: (304) 535-6848 email: [email protected]

Laurel - the owner also does shuttles.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Images

+1 on Teahorse Hostel. I have only heard good reports about this new hostel.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++