WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: REI rain jacket

Images

Default REI rain jacket

I bought my REI brand rain jacket in late 2006. I've washed it one time since then because it reeked of wood smoke. Apparently that was the wrong thing to do. I wore it in Scotland this past couple of weeks and got rained on heavily once. I stayed dry under the jacket but the outer side of the jacket got completely soaked. I don't think that's supposed to happen. Any remedy for this or should I just buy a new rain jacket? I don't like it that much anyway. The hood is really too small and I had to hold it out over my head to keep from getting my face soaked. I have an EMS rain jacket that has held up for 6 years (even after being put in the washer several times) and the hood is far better, but it's also a bigger heavier jacket - not good for backpacking.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Jacket

I'm not sure that's supposed to happen. Try restoring the water repellency with Nikwax "Softshell Proof." Cost is about $8.00.
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Return it to REI for a refund or replacement

Images

Why abuse their refund policy? Retreat it with the nikwax and it is good as new.

Images

Default raincoat

I'd ask REI directly if the rain jacket is "right" or not.
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

I reread the original post, I missed the date of purchase "late 2006" the first time. The jacket is two years old, it's seen it's better days, time to "BUY" a new one. I don't feel REI is under any obligation to refund or replace a two year old piece of rain gear. The resistance to repel water breaks down over time, wear from packs, shoulder straps and everyday wear contribute to this process. If it were my jacket I would be happy that it lasted two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    I bought my REI brand rain jacket in late 2006. I've washed it one time since then because it reeked of wood smoke. Apparently that was the wrong thing to do. I wore it in Scotland this past couple of weeks and got rained on heavily once. I stayed dry under the jacket but the outer side of the jacket got completely soaked. I don't think that's supposed to happen. Any remedy for this or should I just buy a new rain jacket? I don't like it that much anyway. The hood is really too small and I had to hold it out over my head to keep from getting my face soaked. I have an EMS rain jacket that has held up for 6 years (even after being put in the washer several times) and the hood is far better, but it's also a bigger heavier jacket - not good for backpacking.
    If you washed your rain jacket in regular laundry soap that may be why it leaked. Most laundry soap has a lot of surfactant (surface-acting-agent), this serves to lift stains by making water "wetter" by reducing water molecules innate polarity. This can cause a waterproof breathable fabric to leak. Just wash it a couple of times in Ivory Snow, Ivory Flakes, or Sportwash and then treat it with Nikwax and you'll likely be good to go.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JERMM View Post
    I reread the original post, I missed the date of purchase "late 2006" the first time. The jacket is two years old, it's seen it's better days, time to "BUY" a new one.
    It's not like one wears a rain jacket every day! If it deteriorates that badly simply from existing for 2 years on a hangar and maybe wearing it a total of ten times on a rainy day hiking, something's not right. I like the rewashing option mentioned (since that might be the problem) and save the $$.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    It's not like one wears a rain jacket every day! If it deteriorates that badly simply from existing for 2 years on a hangar and maybe wearing it a total of ten times on a rainy day hiking, something's not right. I like the rewashing option mentioned (since that might be the problem) and save the $$.
    It can deteriorate while hanging on a hanger in a closet too, the material simply dries out, laundry detergent can and will break it down and if ever put in the dryer even more deterioration. Also the pack on your back and shoulder straps add wear and stress to the fabric. And it sounds like Mrs Baggins doesn't really like the jacket, she said:

"I don't like it that much anyway. The hood is really too small and I had to hold it out over my head to keep from getting my face soaked."

Time for a new jacket Mrs Baggins, for whatever reason

Images

Lightbulb

"Gortex" fabric treatment has a "life" and does have to be restored periodically. The jacket may last for years, but the water repellent part has a much shorter life. Simply getting dirty can be a problem.

Fortunately, it's easy to treat the jacket and restore the repellent feature. I've done ours more than once. REI sells the right kind of soap and the restoration treatment too.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries
    Images

Anyone familiar with the eVent jackets?
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Images

My sierra designs jacket has lasted for almost 5 years and still works like new. Of course we have been in a serious drought for the past 4 of those years up in Spartanburg.

no, no, no, you all have it wrong. Mrs Baggins needs a new rain jacket and I for one think she should have one.

Mrs Baggins buy yourself a new rain jacket, something fashionable, something that will make a statement for years to come, something durable and rugged yet feminine and tasteful, cause we all know how important fashion is on the trail, otherwise we might be mistaken for hobos. Looking good on the trail makes for a happy hiker and Mrs Baggins deserves to be the happiest of hikers skipping her merry way along the trail.

Your jacket has "wet out" in all likelyhood the dwr on the outside was stripped away by the harsh detergent you used to wash it.
    With a bright light behind you hold the jacket up an slowly rotate while looking at the inside carefully. Once you have located the care label, read it several times if necessary and see if you should run it through the dryer on high heat. This will often reset the DWR which is pretty much a wax. If not it most likely says wash with a gentle product like nikwax then use the dryer. Worst case ask the folks at EMS

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    Your jacket has "wet out" in all likelyhood the dwr on the outside was stripped away by the harsh detergent you used to wash it.
    With a bright light behind you hold the jacket up an slowly rotate while looking at the inside carefully. Once you have located the care label, read it several times if necessary and see if you should run it through the dryer on high heat. This will often reset the DWR which is pretty much a wax. If not it most likely says wash with a gentle product like nikwax then use the dryer. Worst case ask the folks at EMS
    The jacket I apparently ruined is from REI. My EMS jacket is still in fabulous shape but it's too bulky for backpacking. I use it for other travel and should have taken it to Scotland with me since we had a car and bulkiness was not a problem.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JERMM View Post
    It can deteriorate while hanging on a hanger in a closet too, the material simply dries out, laundry detergent can and will break it down and if ever put in the dryer even more deterioration.
    Never heard of that kind of deterioration (hanging a jacket) happening. Just curious if there is something online or whatever to validate this - just for my curiosity's sake. I know material can certainly break down over years of use, but two years seems pretty short to me to have fabric fail like that.

Anyway, also wondering if the garment is deteriorated in the dryer why the label says you can put it in the dryer (both my precip and my hubby's North face jacket says this).
    The care label on my precip says - "machine wash warm, powdered detergent. Tumble dry low"

Seems to me if this is leading to deterioration, then the manufacturer should be at fault. (?). I mean, I don't put mine in the dryer and I use sports wash, but I'd think they would watch what is put on care labels as not everyone knows this kind of stuff and thinks a handful of Tide and the dryer is just fine. Just wondering the culpability with these care labels. Or maybe we're just supposed to know...

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

The jacket I apparently ruined is from REI. My EMS jacket is still in fabulous shape but it's too bulky for backpacking. I use it for other travel and should have taken it to Scotland with me since we had a car and bulkiness was not a problem.
    Whoa my Bad, call REI but do all the rest

Images

If you should decide it's time to buy a new rain jacket, my vote would be:

Integral Designs eVENT Thru Hiker Jacket
    http://www.integraldesigns.com/produ...roducttypeid=1

or similar eVent jacket of similar weight. The above one doesn't appear to come in women's sizes, but if you go by chest measurement you should be fine. REI's eVent jackets are too heavy - nearly twice the ID one.

Default REI Rain Jacket

GORE recomands using powdered detergents. In gerneral you have to apply a DWR treatment after wash and should reapply from time to time. I wear cheap Red Ledge and just spray silcone on before a big trip however for the REI jackect which is the same material as prciep use a better DWR product.

Some one said "Just wash it a couple of times in Ivory Snow, Ivory Flakes". Could someone tell me where to get it? I called the Ivory people and thy said they haven't maid the product in 30 years. I like a cheaper alternative to using down wash and other products.

Babies 'R' Us

++ New Posts ++