WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Taken down my mistake.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded_Shrek View Post
    I am planning to head out in February. Not sure on the date, but I want to beat the heat as much as possible.
    Bonus info: I am a Florida native and I've never seen snow. So one goal is to see snow fall.
    Mate I had never been in snow prior to this year's attempt. Walked over Blood Mountain on the 14th Mar on my third day, during a snowstorm, what a welcome. Left Lance Creek at 5am, to make sure I had a spot at the hostel as it was supposed to be sub 0 temps that night and since I left Australia in 95 degree temps I decided I would stay the night at Mountain Crossings rather than camp in the bush. Loved it.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Hi Friends!
    I'm starting NOBO at the beginning of April. Super stoked! Looking forward to meeting some of you on the trail!
    Down to find a compatible hiking buddy as well!

Check out my trail journal! www.trailjournals.com/peterpan
    Cheers,
    Peter Pan

"Be Bold." - Dad

I received confirmation on Friday that my leave of absence has been approved! Looks like I'm definitely giving it a shot next year.

The company I work for does not have an official sabbatical policy and the time off obviously won't be paid. It is however really nice to know my job will be there when I return. Takes a lot of the pressure off and will allow me to really enjoy it. I just hope I can get it done in under 140 days.

The moral of this story is that if you really want to hike the trail thru, and you want to stay at your job... it doesn't hurt to ask.

Planning to head north on April 9th - a Monday, I believe.
    zig-zag man

There is no such thing as free.

Planning on a thru-hike with a start date of somewhere between Feb 24 and March 10. Figuring 135 days of hiking should take me to Katahdin long before worries of snow begin. Working on preliminary day planning the hike.

I see you guys are aiming at 135-140 days. I was estimating 150 days. Is it longer, younger legs, or am I thinking like an old lady?

It might not be any of those things.

There's a difference between trail miles and total miles. Getting into a town to receive a box of supplies at the post office might take you off the trail for 2-3 miles, meaning you're walking an extra 4-6 miles that don't "count" on the AT. Some people subsist on mac & cheese from gas station mini marts or whatever resupply possibility is closest to the trail instead. A zero day (no progress on the trail) might involve hiking into and back out of a town. This all takes time. Is your focus solely on trail miles, or on the whole AT experience?

Well, my leave from work is sorted and I just got my Visa approved so I guess it's definitely happening now.

Aiming to start on Feb 26th.

Quote Originally Posted by articulategrim View Post
    Well, my leave from work is sorted and I just got my Visa approved so I guess it's definitely happening now.

Aiming to start on Feb 26th.
    That's my start date! I'll see ya' out there, my Aussie friend!

I'm super excited to see some February starters! I'm aiming for around the 17th and hoping to finish mid August in order to get back for fall semester. I decided I needed a break from college for a little while so I'll be taking this winter semester off for my thru. If anyone wants to start together, let me know!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

I'll be retiring from the USPS as an NST Electronic Tech in January. Plan on being at Springer mid April. Hope to catch up and see you then.

Looking forward to meeting you guys on the trail! I'm on a burn crew until mid-April so looking for a mid-to-late April start (18-24) date. No rush to get back to anything so I'm not even contemplating a probable finish date, just want to have some fun with it. See you guys out there!

I am planning on Hiking in February / March and going as far as Harpers with the option to continue on. Trying to get all the logistics completed,( house, cats, bills, getting to the Airport in Maine if I continue etc...) have a friend picking me up from Atlanta Airport and taking me to Springer. Most are good I have an "A" plan just need a solid "B" plan.

My husband and I are starting on March 31st! Our daughter is dropping us off during her spring break. We are more than excited to start! Won't be hard to spot us. My husband is blind but that has never stopped us from hiking before! He is incredible! Hoping to make some new friends along the way!

My projected start date is April 16, so I'll see kempset if he's fast and zig-zag if he's slow!

I've officially set a date for my resignation from my job in Morocco, so the only thing that could alter my plans is if I'm accepted into the highly competitive job program that I'm applying for. It's a huge long shot, but in the off chance they take me, that would start in August 2018. In that case, I would have to decide between only doing part of the trail or moving my start date up to late February in order to finish on time. I figure it's a win-win... either I can keep my A.T. thru hike plans how I want them, or I can do an earlier/partial hike and then start an awesome new job.

I know it's still seven months away but I've been reading lots of thru-hike books lately and I'm obsessed!

fullsizeoutput_685.jpeg

Today seemed an appropriate day to throw my hat into the ring for NOBO 2018. Learned so much from Whiteblaze, making this an appropriate place to make the announcement. Probably start the AT Trail Journal Tomorrow.

This is six months out to March 15th when I plan to Hike the Approach Trail.

I want to depart from Springer on my 58th Birthday March 16th.

However, I may get to anxious and leave a week or two earlier. Depends on whether my buddies see me off or my wife! That may be harder to choose than whether to take a Rain Jacket or skip it!

Good Luck to all the 2018'ers that are also turning a Dream into a Reality.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    Mate I had never been in snow prior to this year's attempt. Walked over Blood Mountain on the 14th Mar on my third day, during a snowstorm, what a welcome. Left Lance Creek at 5am, to make sure I had a spot at the hostel as it was supposed to be sub 0 temps that night and since I left Australia in 95 degree temps I decided I would stay the night at Mountain Crossings rather than camp in the bush. Loved it.
    Now, that's what I'm talking about!

Mid-Feb is the plan, exact date TBD

Journal Entries

Howdy, I plan on leaving from Springer Mountain Early/Mid April 2018. If all goes well I'll be bringing my pup as well! I've read that it's better to flip flop. What would you'll suggest?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++