WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Beat this for stupid

I find it humorous to explore how stupid people can be

Sorry for the Facebook source but I could not find the original video

I have no idea why the first image is that control panel but starting the video clears it

Bear Encounter https://www.facebook.com/PaigeMarple...7180603995489/

I have done things that stupid at times. Most of us probably have. As an old man, I mostly don't anymore. Don't want to push my luck.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I have done things that stupid at times. Most of us probably have. As an old man, I mostly don't anymore. Don't want to push my luck.
    I've done many things in my life that many people would consider much more stupid than that.
    I climb and backpack, often solo and in the winter. I decent steep hills on my bike much faster than most people would consider responsible.

BUT, I have never ignored common sense and well published warnings about protecting wildlife and avoiding close encounters when possible. Yes, that is exceptionally STUPID and profoundly IRRESPONSIBLE. I think we should encourage these same people to climb up to the top of Yosemite Falls and ignore the warnings about dangerous behavior up there also. ;-)
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

Agree, more irresponsible than stupid. Basically, he's helping to eventually kill those bears. Yes, he's a moron. And also a borderline criminal.

Images

Local news (TNHiker's station I think) had same video but covered the guys face.

Locally they're know as "tour-oons". Amalgamation of tourist and moron.

They come to National Park and leave their brains at home.

Guess they think that they're at Disney.
    Last edited by rmitchell; 07-15-2019 at 18:59.

Props to momma bear for the correct amount of “force” to protect her cubs. Evident, who the smarter individual was in this case. In the guys, defense, I think he wanted the bears to go back in the opposite direction, away from the cars, lot and road; forgetting that we have encroached on their territory.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

We call these places "parks" so people think everything is here for their entertainment. There's aways the story of the guy telling their kid at the Grand Canyon. " The rangers remove the venom out of the rattlesnakes so we can pick them up".

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The gimp3 View Post
    We call these places "parks" so people think everything is here for their entertainment. There's aways the
    story of the guy telling their kid at the Grand Canyon. " The rangers remove the venom out of the rattlesnakes so we can pick them up".
    My late wife told me once (also in Cades Cove) about seeing a guy attempting to pet a skunk.

When warned he replied "they de- scent them don't they?"

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    My late wife told me once (also in Cades Cove) about seeing a guy attempting to pet a skunk.
    When warned he replied "they de- scent them don't they?"
    I would have told him they are de-scented...I wouldn't have been able to resist!
    It is what it is.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    I would have told him they are de-scented...I wouldn't have been able to resist!
    I think she said that someone in her group said 'let us step back and let you find out'.

Images

Local news (TNHiker's station I think) had same video but covered the guys face.

yeah......we've been running the blurred out face version (which im assuming we created ourselves)...

i've been outta town and on the road seeing some concerts, so i missed the majority of the discussion of this whole incident.......

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    Check the wind direction first.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    I've done many things in my life that many people would consider much more stupid than that.
    I climb and backpack, often solo and in the winter. I decent steep hills on my bike much faster than most people would consider responsible.

BUT, I have never ignored common sense ...
    How is it that you....
    a) Have "done things much more stupid than that",
    and
    b) "decent (sic) steep hills ...much faster than most people would consider responsible",
    whilst never having ignored common sense?

The two legged moron is the one that needs to be put down or at the least jailed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    The two legged moron is the one that needs to be put down or at the least jailed.

and neither of those are going to happen......

no charges are being place because the Park doesn't know who this guy is......along with other factors....

I'm thinking natural selection will take care of that guy, kinda surprised he's made it to gray hair status without receiving a Darwin yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    I'm thinking natural selection will take care of that guy, kinda surprised he's made it to gray hair status without receiving a Darwin yet.
    Where is the "like" button when I need it?
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

it's easy to call out "moron", but I think this is a situation where context is important....
    just playing devil's advocate here
    ...maybe the guy is a bear expert and really know more about bears than you think....like Steve Irwin used to be right up till his end. To me his stunts seemed stupid, but he knew how far that snake can strike. Of course there was risk for him....little mistake or something overlooked...but generally the risk he took was far less than my risk would be trying the same thing without knowing.
    or
    more likely I'd say, maybe this guy is a completely innocent well intentioned animal lover from the city, conditioned through years of helping domesticated pets out of the road.

and true he might be a moron in this situation, but he's not necessarily a moron in every situation. He might even be more expert than you in some other totally different field.

Not that bright by my book.

Im just thinking what I would do as a mom of 3 toddlers if some stranger (let alone stranger of another species) tried to approach my kids, tried to bribe them with candy, maybe tried to get between me and the kids to separate us. I probably would have swatted him at least. Momma just wanted to keep her cubs safe.

++ New Posts ++