WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Address for Whitehouse Landing

Anyone with snail mail address for Whitehouse Landing? Box 749, Millinocket, ME 04462 didn't work. Appreciate it, thanks, sandman
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. Thoreau O.D.A.A.T.

That's the only real address I know of.....but since they don't accept hiker mail anymore (at least not maildrops) there may be no point in writing them anyway. Try [email protected] or call them at (207) 745-5116, assuming this information is still current.

thanks Jack. Web address doesn't work either. I had sent them a thanks for helping me last year.
    Someone will know? or they won't! sandman
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. Thoreau O.D.A.A.T.

Default Guess that Wingfoot...

was on the right track to consider them lodging, not a hostel. (Thought he went by their prices.) Any real hostel accepts maildrops. In the middle of the 100 Mile Wilderness would have been a great place for a hostel.

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    was on the right track to consider them lodging, not a hostel. (Thought he went by their prices.) Any real hostel accepts maildrops. In the middle of the 100 Mile Wilderness would have been a great place for a hostel.
    they're a BUSINESS. a year-round one at that. they don't kiss weenie thru-hiker ***. snowmobilers and hunters spend more $$$ by accident than hikers spend on purpose. they don't whine and snivel either. the owners dad thru-hiked in 98. that's why they offered up their services. i would discontinue services due to unappreciative hikers like you
    Last edited by dixicritter; 07-15-2007 at 11:18. Reason: language

Default Lw...

I objectively sized them up for their utility to thruhikers, and on my own hike decided to give them a miss. What was wrong with that?

As an aside, I agree with your assessment of snowmobiler spendthriftiness, from what I know of them from my decade in WI/MN.

I objectively sized them up for their utility to thruhikers, and on my own hike decided to give them a miss. What was wrong with that?

As an aside, I agree with your assessment of snowmobiler spendthriftiness, from what I know of them from my decade in WI/MN.
    their utility to thru-hikers? MOST of them plead poverty. MOST of them think they're SPECIAL. MOST will find $$ after they snivel. I can't WAIT to open a hostel in Damascus
    Last edited by dixicritter; 07-15-2007 at 11:19. Reason: language

Images

It takes a lot of beer to keep a snowmobile running in that kind of windchill.
    Last edited by Skidsteer; 07-11-2007 at 22:28.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Hey, L. Wolf, you gonna get up every morning at 5:30 to start cooking the AYCE pancakes, bacon, and sausage for the hikers staying in your hostel? Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    It takes a lot of beer to keep a snowmobile running.
    i put 4000 miles on a sled in vermont one year. didn't drink much beer in the process

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Hey, L. Wolf, you gonna get up every morning at 5:30 to start cooking the AYCE pancakes, bacon, and sausage for the hikers staying in your hostel? Cool.
    yup. just like kieth. do it for $$$.

Default Re opening another hostel in Damascus...

LW, there are already two there. Why not open one up in some place like Gatlinburg, Troutville, Kent, or Hanover, all of which have none and could use one?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    i put 4000 miles on a sled in vermont one year. didn't drink much beer in the process
    That's a lot of cold miles.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

LW, there are already two there. Why not open one up in some place like Gatlinburg, Troutville, Kent, or Hanover, all of which have none and could use one?
    Hostels are NOT needed on the AT. You hikers need to learn how to fend for youselves.

Default That raises a question, then, LW...

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    Hostels are NOT needed on the AT. You hikers need to learn how to fend for youselves.
    Why would you open a business you say is not needed? Sounds like hiking classes...

Why would you open a business you say is not needed? Sounds like hiking classes...
    I would NEVER open a business to cater to AT hikers. A total losing proposition. Although Keith.....

Journal Entries
    Images

Sounds like hiking classes...
    Some seem to work.

Those who attend Warren Doyle's class (for independent thru hikers) enjoy a remakably high completion rate.

And of these who complete the AT, most actually thru hike the trail (i.e. walk from one end to the other in a continuous journey).

Most hikers who start with the idea of walking from ME to GA don't get all that far, or end up yellow blazing or bouncing around from section to section.

This is of course not to suggest than hiking 2000 miles is "better" than hiking 500 or 50. Or that a traditional thru hike is in any way superior to a wonderful vacation in the Appalachian Mountains for some people.

It is to suggest that some classes are remarkabley effective in helping some people realize thier goal in walking a continuous path from Springer to Katahdin.

Geez, talk about thread drift.

Nice attempt at trolling, Rick, but we REALLY don't need to talk about Mr. Doyle again today, especially when he has less than nothing to do with the subject at hand, which was how to contact White House Landing in Maine.

Funny thing.....people like Rick are always whining about how Doyle is treated here and all the negative comments. Well, don't intentionally introduce him to threads where there's no need for him to be discussed, and maybe we won't have to talk about him again, eh?

Sauntering vaugely southward ozt42's Avatar

I was at WHL a few days ago, they no longer monitor the email address, their cell modem was too unreliable, the website information is about 12 years out of date. They are strictly a spring-fall operation now their season ends around october 15th. They decided mixing hikers and hunters was a bad idea. The reason they don't handle mail drops is beacuse they don't go into town to pick up their mail more than once or twice a month.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Anyone with snail mail address for Whitehouse Landing? Box 749, Millinocket, ME 04462 didn't work. Appreciate it, thanks, sandman
    http://www.mainerec.com/ware3.shtml
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++