WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ULA Circuit or catalyst

I been doing some over weekend over night hikes and looking to get a lighter pack, Im really into these two packs, anyone have any thought which would be better for what I do.

ULA Circuit or catalyst

Thanks

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Depends on what you like to pack when you go out, will your current gear fit in both of the packs and do you prefer to be minimalist, or do you like to pack a bit of extra gear for comfort/enjoyment?

I just bought a Circuit and I love it, but it leaves me wanting for space a little bit after packing my mostly more conventional gear (I actually bought this pack since it didn't have quite as much volume as I would have liked in order to force myself to stop packing 40+lbs each trip.) If I recall the Catalyst is only about 9 ounces heavier and gives you a good bit more room which gives you more flexability, but also means you might end up packing more stuff than you need.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

It depends more on you and less on the packs...there is no point in getting a Circuit then strapping crap on the outside because you are taking more than the pack can handle, it would make more sense to get a Catalyst and fill it to capacity and use it properly.

I would also add the Granite Gear Crown 60 to your list, a much better version of the now discontinued Vapor Trail. They also make a model a step up with more suspension but still relatively lightweight.

I have a Circuit and think it's a solid, simple pack for long-distance hiking (not without flaws), but personally like the GG Crown 60 more, so will unload the Circuit when I can or just buy a Crown 60 in due time.

Osprey also makes some nice designs, but a little on the heavier side.

ULA has great customer service so I would say to order both, then return the one that you don't want, wear em both around the house loaded up with your gear.

In my case, a Catalyst was way too big so I took a Circuit on my PCT thru-hike a few year ago. I'm taking the smaller CDT on my AT thru-hike in a few weeks as I find the Circuit to be to big for trips under a week that don't require a bear can.

You have to decide how much total weight and how much gear you may carry in them on future trips you are considering. Plenty of people haved used both for sucessfuly thru-hikes on all 3 of the big trails. You normally buy your pack last after you have the rest of your gear. As such, you haven't given us any information for us to base our advice on.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    In my case, a Catalyst was way too big so I took a Circuit on my PCT thru-hike a few year ago. I'm taking the smaller CDT on my AT thru-hike in a few weeks as I find the Circuit to be to big for trips under a week that don't require a bear can.

You have to decide how much total weight and how much gear you may carry in them on future trips you are considering. Plenty of people haved used both for sucessfuly thru-hikes on all 3 of the big trails. You normally buy your pack last after you have the rest of your gear. As such, you haven't given us any information for us to base our advice on.
    Thanks for all the feedback folks. I basically have everything I need as of now. Just really looking to lighten my backpack, Im using a kelty which I really like but its over 4lbs. Looking to bring a tent in the near future, trying to keep the tent weight under 3lbs. Just want a lighter back but something that will carry a tent well also.

Thanks

Was just checking out granite gear packs, they look pretty sweet.

Images

I love my Circuit. I purposely bought it so that I cannot overpack. In my purchases I bought a more compact sleeping bag and tent and have made it work. Its light and easy to handle and you don't feel like you have this house on your back it sits centered. I don't like a pack that sits behind my head. Customer service is the best and they are American made which is a plus.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

I just got a Circuit this past weekend. I went form a Z55 to the Circuit. I would not carry more than 28 pounds in this pack. I know the ULA web site said it would curry up to 35 pounds, but that would really be pushing the pack and it would not be comfortable. I had 26 pounds in it this past weekend for a 3 day trip which included food and water and the pack carried great! So if you are more often over 28 pounds I would go with the Catalyst and if you are around 28 or below most often then I would go with the Circuit.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hiking Man View Post
    I just got a Circuit this past weekend. I went form a Z55 to the Circuit. I would not carry more than 28 pounds in this pack. I know the ULA web site said it would curry up to 35 pounds, but that would really be pushing the pack and it would not be comfortable. I had 26 pounds in it this past weekend for a 3 day trip which included food and water and the pack carried great! So if you are more often over 28 pounds I would go with the Catalyst and if you are around 28 or below most often then I would go with the Circuit.
    I would support this completely.
    My Circuit is fantastic with lower weights but has a definite point where it becomes a sack. For me it would be about 32-33 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiking Man View Post
    I know the ULA web site said it would curry up to 35 pounds, but that would really be pushing the pack and it would not be comfortable. I had 26 pounds in it this past weekend for a 3 day trip which included food and water and the pack carried great! So if you are more often over 28 pounds I would go with the Catalyst and if you are around 28 or below most often then I would go with the Circuit.
    Wierd. On a 10 day stretch with a bear can, I've had my Circuit over 35lbs and never thought that it carried uncomfortably. I wonder if its a difference in how I pack it (I'm assuming the stay was in it) as I tend to pack it in a similar way I do frameless packs out of habit. I agree that if one planned to carry over 30lbs on a regular basis, the catalyst would likely be a better choice.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ladytrekker View Post
    I love my Circuit. I purposely bought it so that I cannot overpack. In my purchases I bought a more compact sleeping bag and tent and have made it work. Its light and easy to handle and you don't feel like you have this house on your back it sits centered. I don't like a pack that sits behind my head. Customer service is the best and they are American made which is a plus.
    I bought the ULA CDT for the same reason! I only have enough room for what I absolutely need! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Quote Originally Posted by battlebrooklyn View Post
    I been doing some over weekend over night hikes and looking to get a lighter pack, Im really into these two packs, anyone have any thought which would be better for what I do.

ULA Circuit or catalyst
    Thanks
    For weekenders or overnighters, I would buy the Ohm 2.0. Heck, for thru hiking, I would buy the Ohm 2.0. But surely you could comfortably carry enough for a two or three day trip in this pack. Of course, as you know, the gear weight must come down before you buy a lighter pack.

Images

I just recently upgraded from my ULA P2 which I was finding way too big for my three-season gear. It's still great for winter gear.

I had gotten a Conduit (precursor to the CDT) but found it a bit too small for my gear and still leaving room for tanking up on water when needed.

This spring I got the Ohm 2, used it for a week + on the trail in May, and it was perfect. Comfortable, easily compression, adjustable. I consider it a very good purchase.

++ New Posts ++