WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How are the bugs in Connecticut??

How bad are the bugs in Connecticut now?? Planning on hiking from Kent to Salisbury maybe next week. My friend just got back from Monson, Maine and said the black flys and mosquitoes were real bad.

I have been out for overnighters a few times over the last few weeks, and other than a few mosquitos i didn't have an issue. Not bad at all imo.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Speaking as a CT resident...

THE MOSQUITOES ARE NASTY!!!!!

A no-see-em hood, skeeter net, and deet bath won't keep them all away...
    "My name is Legion, for we are many." Mark 5:9

Eh after camping in VT over memorial day weekend during black fly season, the bugs in CT arent bad at all.

It's probably still a bit early in the year for the really bad bugs to be out in force in CT.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

The bugs in Connecticut are different from those in other areas. they generally drive Volvos and Suburus, although many have opted for Priuses due to the awesome smug factor. They generally eat out twice a week, preferring Apllebees to all other food groupsMost have been employed in the insurance industry for several generations. many have kids named Biff and Buffy.Two dogs and a cat can be found where they habitate. they avoid the sun, preferring to dine at twilight and sometimes party well into the night. They are attracted to alcohol, but not smoke. It is advisable to smoke as much as possible during June and July to help drive these pesky CT bugs back into their two car garages

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    The bugs in Connecticut are different from those in other areas. they generally drive Volvos and Suburus, although many have opted for Priuses due to the awesome smug factor. They generally eat out twice a week, preferring Apllebees to all other food groupsMost have been employed in the insurance industry for several generations. many have kids named Biff and Buffy.Two dogs and a cat can be found where they habitate. they avoid the sun, preferring to dine at twilight and sometimes party well into the night. They are attracted to alcohol, but not smoke. It is advisable to smoke as much as possible during June and July to help drive these pesky CT bugs back into their two car garages
    Says the person from Long Beach.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    They generally eat out twice a week, preferring Apllebees to all other food groups
    FAIL. Applebees? Really?

Seriously, to the topic, the bugs aren't terrible, but they can be annoying. I find the occasional black fly eminently swattable.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    How bad are the bugs in Connecticut now?? Planning on hiking from Kent to Salisbury maybe next week. My friend just got back from Monson, Maine and said the black flys and mosquitoes were real bad.
    Bitin' bugs usually very bad in NJ NY CT & MA this time of year. Much depends on weather. Considering the white nose syndrome which has decimated the bat population me thinks things would be worse than usual. My rule, I don't hike past the DWG until after the second week of July. I'm a buffet (big ugly fat folk eating together) for them

Images

Default How are the bugs in Connecticut??

Tasty, if dipped in chocolate.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

++ New Posts ++