WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Took My 13yo Nephew on His First Hiking Trip This Weekend

We went to the Grayson Highlands/Mt Rogers area. He did great and had a good time. I made sure he had a light pack and we went at this pace. He can now handle a JetBoil, hang a bear bag, lick a bowl, and has gained some trail wisdom. There were a lot of foals with the ponies. Rhododendron were past bloom and the blueberries are still very green and early in the fruit stage. Water was flowing well at the Thomas Knob shelter (liter fill in about 20 seconds) and there is a nice gutter on it for a nice flow. We saw an adult bear just above the gate area where you leave the state park and start heading uphill.

Images

I meant "backpacking" not "hiking"

Wow, a complete adventure....I do believe I'm jealous! I love the Grayson Highlands; it's been my favorite spot so far.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries
    Images

Sounds like you too had some good clean fun. Hope the future brings much more.

Very nice! Perhaps another life long hiker is born.

Sounds like a great trip!

Images

Wow, I've been on numerous hikes in that area since it is close to my home and I have never seen a bear. What a treat!

I have spent a lot of nights camping in the grassy areas around Wilburn Ridge and never hang my food. May have to rethink that now

Quote Originally Posted by carouselambra View Post
    We went to the Grayson Highlands/Mt Rogers area. He did great and had a good time. I made sure he had a light pack and we went at this pace. He can now handle a JetBoil, hang a bear bag, lick a bowl, and has gained some trail wisdom. There were a lot of foals with the ponies. Rhododendron were past bloom and the blueberries are still very green and early in the fruit stage. Water was flowing well at the Thomas Knob shelter (liter fill in about 20 seconds) and there is a nice gutter on it for a nice flow. We saw an adult bear just above the gate area where you leave the state park and start heading uphill.
    What were temps like and any skeeters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Great job! If we're going to have trails to hike on when we're old poops, we have to get the kids hooked. Showing them a great time on the trail is wonderful.

Yeah, it's early for blueberries. Even the blackcaps and wild strawberries aren't quite ripe up here in the North. About another week or two, it looks like. We had a late spring.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

We had no biting bug issues. A lot of flies but they were just a nuisance. Temps were in the low 70s for highs and the upper 50s/low 60s for lows. Rainstorms came through in the afternoon and those brought a ten degree or so drop in temps and rain. If you were sweaty it got chilly for a little while.

Sounds perfect...when I hiked last winter it was freezing rain and 40+ mph wind across open bands...I really like winter hiking...

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Great job! If we're going to have trails to hike on when we're old poops, we have to get the kids hooked. Showing them a great time on the trail is wonderful.

Yeah, it's early for blueberries. Even the blackcaps and wild strawberries aren't quite ripe up here in the North. About another week or two, it looks like. We had a late spring.
    I start lookin for the blue berries around the 4th of July, as told to me by an old friend.

Hate auto correct......balds

++ New Posts ++