WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Zpacks Arc Haul

Images

Default Zpacks Arc Haul

Im sure there is a thread on here some where, but does any one have the arc haul? if so what are your thoughts. my pack is the last thing I can upgrade so just looking for some real world insight since you can't go try it out at REI. Thanks

Lots of people here have them and I'm sure lots of people will chime in. This was my review of the Arc Haul (and I still love and use it):

https://nomadicpawprints.wordpress.c...d-duplex-tent/

I've heard some people have had a few issues with them, but those may have been resolved (I think it was due to staffing issues and QC).

Love mine. I have one of the earlier ones, but no issues with it. If you carry under 30 pounds it is fine. Under 25 it is great. Mine is well made, no issues or damage after several hundred miles.

Images

This thread has my thoughts on my Arc Haul. I do like it and would buy it again.

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...light=arc+haul
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I have owned an Arc Haul since 2016. I love mine. It's perfect for my needs. When I ordered, I added hip belt pockets (an absolute must have), one shoulder strap pocket and trekking pole holders. I can fit a summer or winter kit in it, and everything in between. comfort is amazing up to 30-35 lbs. The Arc frame concept is awesome at keeping the pack bag of my back. I love the hip belt straps reverse tightening system, (not unique to Arc).

Default Zpacks Arc Haul

Yep I’m pleased with my Arc Haul.
    The only complaint was the hip pocket I bought. It required two hands to open. I’d go with the optional shoulder pouch if I had to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast View Post
    Yep I’m pleased with my Arc Haul.
    The only complaint was the hip pocket I bought. It required two hands to open. I’d go with the optional shoulder pouch if I had to do it again.
    a link to a modification for Zpacks hip belt pockets that solves this issue: (the concept actually originated by a member here on WB)

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/...pbelt-pockets/

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    a link to a modification for Zpacks hip belt pockets that solves this issue: (the concept actually originated by a member here on WB)

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/...pbelt-pockets/
    Thanks for the link and info. That seems like a good solution.
    I ended up moving the hip belt pocket to my shoulder strap. Maybe not how it was designed but it works for what I use it for - to carry snacks, a small ultrapod tripod, and something to clean my glasses.

I have Blast. Forget any comments on the fabric as that would be a waste of bandwidth.

I love the way it rides. Moved from a ULA Ohm to the Blast and it was an great move. Construction is top notch.

I didn't include hip belt pockets. I use a DCF fanny pack. I figured out that most of the things I carried in hip belt pockets were things I wanted when I made camp so easier to keep them on me all the time.

The webbing slips. It doesn't stay arc'd for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time. I am currently thru hiking the AT with it. Zpacks sent upgraded webbing. It looked like it would work but the issue is unchanged.

I never carry more than 25 lbs.

Other than that I love it.

I have never personally owned one...but..

I have heard/read/seen many issues with these bag over the years. It seems very over built and gimmicky to me. I personally would steer clear of Zpacks backpacks.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cboon View Post
    if so what are your thoughts. my pack is the last thing I can upgrade so just looking for some real world insight since you can't go try it out at REI. Thanks
    Nor should you want to go try anything out at REi.

Try shoes and packs out at home....take your time....and return what you dont want. Theres no substitute. Pack it different ways, wear it around house 30 min, load it to max expected wt. Compare top choices side by side

The $ spent in return shipping for items tried at home, will be best $ you ever spent. No, finding best gear for you isnt quick, or cheap. If you stress over $60 return shipping, should you be buying $3000 gear???

My arc blast is from 2014 weighed 16.7 oz new (has a few patches now), and is fantastic pack up to 25 lb, with about 1500-1750 mi on it , im losing track. It carries vertically, needs neither chest strap or load lifters .

Order the pack, try it at home, return it.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-09-2019 at 10:49.

I’ve been happy with mine after about 350 or so trail miles over about 2.5 years. Under 25 lbs carries like a dream. Over 25 lbs and I start feeling the hip rod in the small of my back but it’s not uncomfortable. 35 lbs while performing dad Sherpa duties with my kids was absolutely fine. I did shove an extra little bit of closed cell foam back there and it does the job padding the lower carbon rod. Hip belt and shoulder harness really form to my body and are very comfortable. I have noticed that the arc straps can slip (old style back panel from 2017), but I simply tied an overhand knot where I wanted the arc and have had zero problems since. Regarding their customer service, I sent the pack back for a seam repair and it was quickly fixed to my satisfaction. They even gave me a new mesh back panel with the upgraded straps, but I just tied the same knot I used before.

I’ve been searching for the perfect pack for decades. The arc haul isn’t perfect but it’s dang close and super light weight. ULA Ohm is similar but about a pound heavier. It seems that the newer super light packs like Light AF, Nero, MLD, Palante, etc are now very popular, but I find that they’re nowhere near as comfortable as the arc haul, have minimal or non existent hip belts, zero back panels, and just aren’t comfortable. Maybe because I carry 20-25 lbs on average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    The webbing slips. It doesn't stay arc'd for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time. I am currently thru hiking the AT with it. Zpacks sent upgraded webbing. It looked like it would work but the issue is unchanged.

You can tie off the webbing to your desired setting to keep it in place.

I have never had any of my 3 Arc packs slip, even when left arced for multiple days at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    You can tie off the webbing to your desired setting to keep it in place.

I have never had any of my 3 Arc packs slip, even when left arced for multiple days at a time.
    When I first bought the Arc Haul I'd read this too. I tie off the ends with a half hitch or two. I've never had any issues with slippage. A knot on each side makes the difference.

++ New Posts ++