WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    I only said that b/c the guy was acting like if anyone, and basically he inclined "anyone" attempts to hang food in a shelter, he will move it for them. I'm sorry but I would not want to stay in a shelter with a person that thinks they should only follow his rules about how to spend the night at one. I mean if he doesn't like it when people hang food in a trail shelter, what about the people with stinking cigarette smoke, or the ones that sip coffee/tea/cocoa in their bags before bed or after awaking? What about the smell of food on a pack? Does he make you hang that from a tree or cables also?
    I know Different Socks... You're OK.

Mr. Coffee was talking about his strong feelings about a situation he encountered with someone wanting to hang a huge food bag in the shelter while they slept outside the shelter, themselves. Then, he went on to say that he would actually take someone's food, hanging in the shelter, down & leave it in the woods, somewhere, without their permission. That didn't actually happen tho.

He needs to realize that it's not acceptable behavior, even if he doesn't agree with food hanging habits of other hikers. If he actually did that- things would not end well. So, if we could convince him that there are better ways to handle this, hypothetical situation, it would be a good thing.

Then, that kicked off this whole debate on whether it's better to hang your food in the shelter or keep it with you or hang it on a tree, bear pole or cable. That is all. Well, there's more but I'm too tired to explain.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jj2044 View Post
    Different Socks its right, this whole thread is kind of lame, A bear's sense of smell is 7 times better than a blood hound's or 2,100 times better than a human. the cloths you cook in have food smell in them, your pack where you carried the food has food smells in it, that candy rapper you stuck in your pocket 2 days ago , yep the bear can smell that too. bears are for the most part scared of humans even at night , for a bear to come into a shelter while people are there already mean somethin isnt right with the bear. so if im in a shelter and a bear comes in i hope there is a food bag, and its not someones pants or gloves he smelled lol.
    at ksc in baxter the ranger made me hang my food, told me thre had been a problem bear around, strongly urged me to make sure i hung not just my food, but my toothpaste,mouthwash, and bug spray. bug spray. i told him i had already bathed in bug spray. where should i hang myself? he smartly replied anywhere you want

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    If I am sleeping in a shelter, i can guarantee that you won't be hanging your food in there. thats a no no
    This is what I got out of the original post. Seems pretty self explanatory to me.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    This is what I got out of the original post. Seems pretty self explanatory to me.
    Brilliant -Now, why didn't I think of posting that... I have more "words" to use up in a day than u do... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    at ksc in baxter the ranger made me hang my food, told me thre had been a problem bear around, strongly urged me to make sure i hung not just my food, but my toothpaste,mouthwash, and bug spray. bug spray. i told him i had already bathed in bug spray. where should i hang myself? he smartly replied anywhere you want
    HAHA. thats funny... did you end up having any problems ?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jj2044 View Post
    HAHA. thats funny... did you end up having any problems ?
    no.no bear.no mice either.but of course thats because i hung my food.

Oh, hang the food! It's bed time. Good night bloggers of this thread and good night to this thread.

Tomorrow I will start a thread on underwear and we can argue about that instead.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Oh, hang the food! It's bed time. Good night bloggers of this thread and good night to this thread.

Tomorrow I will start a thread on underwear and we can argue about that instead.
    A thread about underwear could start a lot of s***.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

I always hang my underware...

"Can't we all just get along"? (Rodney King) RIP

Depends...

Yes, if you are not staying in the shelter, stowing your food in the shelter is bad etiquette, and it would not be unreasonable for someone staying in the shelter to point that out and ask you to remove it.

Yes, if you are staying in the shelter on the AT (with some specific shelters with problem bears excepted), hanging your food from a mouse line is customary and acceptable.

No, taking someone's food or gear without their permission and relocating it is not acceptable.

How's that for a summary?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Yes, if you are not staying in the shelter, stowing your food in the shelter is bad etiquette, and it would not be unreasonable for someone staying in the shelter to point that out and ask you to remove it.

Yes, if you are staying in the shelter on the AT (with some specific shelters with problem bears excepted), hanging your food from a mouse line is customary and acceptable.

No, taking someone's food or gear without their permission and relocating it is not acceptable.

Perfect...

Images

That about sums up what most of us have been saying. Well done.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Right on...........

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    HB...I bet you're the kid that had to sit in the corner every day in 6th grade.

Real hikers don't wear underwear...too heavy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Wrong thread

I think we have a WINNER!!

Good belly laughs starting out this Friday morning.. THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nat View Post
    I always hang my underware...
    Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Wrong thread
    See. It's already starting.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
++ New Posts ++